UK ppl - P85 form?

• 8 replies
UK ppl - P85 form?
« on: August 10, 2011, 11:27:52 PM »
Hello,
A question for my fellow UK ppl.
Before you came to China did you fill in a P85 form for HMCR?
Just found out about it.

Its for if you spend greater than 1 financial year out of the country (April to April).
If you don't sign it you may be liable for tax on earnings made outside of the UK.

My contract is September to September, but not sure what I may do after that....return to UK with its hordes of happy chavs torching things?....hmmmmm....let me think!
So I want to keep my options open...
Reckon its worth filling one in?
What have other ppl done?
Arse end of nowhere...across from the renegade province.

"Liberty is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear" - George Orwell

Re: UK ppl - P85 form?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 11:30:01 PM »
Wouldn't bother. Do you really think HMRC has time to chase some poor English teacher. They go for the big kills.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 03:04:46 AM »
I dont complete it, never heard of it TBH. I dont 'declare' being out of the country.

Monkey King

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 04:13:29 AM »
If you go back and re-start earning and paying tax,  the tax office might ask what you have been up to during the 'blank' period, but I don't think it'll cause you any major hassles....like James said, they have bigger fish to fry.

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 06:34:07 AM »
Nah, they dont ask. I remain on the electoral register at my family home and never declare to the authorities that I am away....I dont stay away for years on end tho. I would advise anyone against declaring it TBH...

I did around 4 months volunteer work in Kenya at the start of 2006 ... and I made a tentative enquiry about working for the UK Police force not long after. They said I wasnt eligible to apply because I had been out of the country for a period of more than 3 months. I kinda figured it was best to lie after that!

Foscolo

• Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 11:17:30 AM »
I agree with the above replies. A tax inspector's time costs a lot - his/her salary, plus cost of premises, plus an element of the salaries of all the support and management staff.... It's just not cost effective for these poeple to spend their valuable time wrangling over tiny sums which people may or may not owe. In any case, a Chinese salary is unlikely to go over the personal tax allowance (£7,475 for 2011/2012).
Free stuff for teaching English with jokes: ESLjokes.net.

Monkey King

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 04:47:48 PM »
In any case, a Chinese salary is unlikely to go over the personal tax allowance (£7,475 for 2011/2012).

But...unless my maths is wrong, that would only be about 6,500RMB a month. Plenty of teachers in China are earning that and more - someone prepared to put in the hours could pretty easily double that with a Uni gig and privates for example.  But then most of us are also paying tax on our salaries in China...and then there are double taxation agreements that no-one seems to understand...So, in conclusion, tax is horrible and never tell anyone anything.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 05:09:59 PM by MK »

AMonk

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 11:49:24 PM »
... a Chinese salary is unlikely to go over the personal tax allowance (£7,475 for 2011/2012).
... that would only be about 6,500RMB a month

You would - of course - only report your OFFICIAL salary.....wouldn't you?  No need to mention those minor matters like outside work, since there's no paper trail involved.  That is...IF you decide to make your report :wtf:
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 06:49:12 AM »
Cheers guys!
I'd best keep stumm then.

I did ask my mate about this he worked in the US for 4 years. When he got back the tax man said "Where you been?"..."Traveling"...."Working?"...."No"...."Hmmmm,we still want money for your NI payments"...."Go bollocks!"....."Ok, we'll tell you to piss off when you come for your OAP in 45 years time"...."Yeah,cheers!"

Arse end of nowhere...across from the renegade province.

"Liberty is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear" - George Orwell