Hair Cut!

• 12 replies
Hair Cut!
« on: March 05, 2011, 07:24:59 AM »
Afternoon* (Insert appropriate time zone)

Just caught sight of the fading grey ghost in the mirror and thought "Ah! time to get my ears lowered again" (As we unamusingly say in the UK).

Which got me thinking again (Always dangerous!). What do my fellow saloonites do when our unruly mops get out of hand.....

I usually just go to the barbers, plonk myself in the chair and say "Short, back and sides, Grade 3 Back and sides (This is the setting on the clippers), blend it in on the back (To stop me looking like a member of the Hitler Youth) and tidy it up on top (Not too much off)"

Now...even if I knew the Mandarin for this, I'm pretty sure I'd either get a blank look or end up looking like Forrest Gump.

So here are my questions (Salooners & Saloonettes are free to contribute)

1) Where do you go to get your hair cut? (The only barber I saw in China was an old bald guy who was asleep in a tin shack)

2) Do they have the red & white pole outside? - I believe the ones with the pink lights don't really cut your hair that well.

3) Any useful phrases that anyone knows to avoid a hirsute castastrophe. (Phonetic, pls)

4) Is Chinese hair gel really so strong that it'll leave you looking like Cameron Diaz in "theres something about Mary"
 (nice quiff)

5) Since I'll be taking my own clippers is it worth getting a clued up winsome student to help out? (Dangerous!)

6) finally any hair cut horror stories would be most amusing! - As long as they have now grown out - photos optional

I'll leave it with you helpful guys & gals.....
Arse end of nowhere...across from the renegade province.

"Liberty is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear" - George Orwell

randyjac

• 老骥伏枥
Re: Hair Cut!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 10:29:57 AM »
This is geared more to the male side of the equation. Foreign females in China usually have their own, unique set of concerns.
1. Often I visit the resident barber in our apartment complex. She hails from Yangzhou, same as my wife, so they are thick as thieves. My wife gives her barber friend specific instructions. The charge is five rmb.
2. The barber pole usually can be found outside, sans pink lights. Dressed-to-kill young ladies sitting around looking bored means hair-cutting is not on the schedule.
3. Left to my own devices, I just tell the barber "close all over" (完全短, wan2quan2duan3). I cut out the jokes about offering a finders fee, which do not translate very well.
4. I have never tried the gel.
5. Wow! It never, ever occurred to me to take my own clippers. I would be famous in every barbershop in town.
6. No horror stories. Any haircut I can walk away from is considered a success. Low expectations means happiness.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 12:39:41 PM »
I go to any fancy looking salon. It takes them over an hour to wash my hair with the full body massage. By the time they get around to cutting my hair, I really don't give a shit what they do.

I wish my hair grew faster.

Borkya

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 02:41:50 PM »
As a girl with no real hair style I think I have it easier than most guys. I just walk in and say 'a little shorter.' In my little city most of the barber shops are occupied by guy hair cutters, not ladies. No matter what you want I think they will try to style your hair to match theirs (at least that's what happens to my hubby.) So Just walk by a bunch and look at the hair cutters and their hair styles, then go to the one that has the least atrocious coif. For a normal, 15-20 minute haircut place expect to pay about 5-20 rmb. (But you don't get the massage at those places.)

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 05:26:24 PM »
everytime I take the same picture on my phone, everytime I get a different haircut  bibibibibi
with me they really love to go wild with those thinning scissors
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Ruth

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 06:15:05 PM »
Several years ago Stil introduced me to the hair wash/massage deal.

He: Let's go get a hair wash.
Me: I can wash my own hair.
He: Have you ever tried it?

Oh bliss! It's so relaxing and I feel so pampered.  As he said above, it takes them upwards of an hour to wash your hair and massage you. Places vary on how much of a massage you get. In my experience, most of the focus is on your head, with a quick once over of arms, legs and back.

I'm like Borkya, I get them to take a little off and, like Fozzwaldus said, they do go a little crazy with the thinning scissors (and my hair is thin enough already, thanks). I currently go to a salon on campus where I pay, not for the haircut, but for the shampoo/conditioner selection. Same price whether I get the haircut at the end or not.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

NATO

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 10:44:44 PM »
Hairdressers here always delight in slicing my fringe off no matter how much I think I've told them not to, I guess it's their way of doing the faux. No matter tho, the head massage means I'm too relaxed to care at the time.

Actually I was forced into re-adopting the faux-hawk after my second haircut in china. I was sporting a nice side swipe that I had been growing for months so it was pretty lengthy, I wanted the hairdresser to preserve it and shorten the back and sides but I could only gesture to him, he nodded as if he understood then proceeded to destroy my swipe with reckless abandon. Never bothered going back to that place, didn't even get a head massage either.   

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 02:18:13 AM »
A PICTURE is worth a thousand words  .... in ANY language.   bjbjbjbjbj

Take a picture of what you look like with your hair the way YOU want it.   agagagagag agagagagag

Worked for me   agagagagag agagagagag
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Mimi

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 03:02:20 AM »
Has anyone ever gotten their hair chemically straightened in China?  The humidity in Nanjing is really doing a number on my hair, and the cut I got in California just looks... different here.  And not in a good way. 

xwarrior

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 03:52:48 AM »
1) Where do you go to get your hair cut? In a new city I wander the back streets looking for a place that charges 5RMB. If they look happy to see me I go in. Usually keep going to the same place, even if their first effort is a disaster, and train them to do what I want. This, of course, will not stop them from reverting to the way they h walked down Main ave been trained if given the chance.

2) Do they have the red & white pole outside? I never look at the pole. Best sign is a whole lot of small towels flapping in the breeze.
Poles do give some indication I suppose. I remember an American, who had returned to the States, saying that every time he walked down Main Street and saw a barber's pole he got a hard on.

3) Any useful phrases that anyone knows to avoid a hirsute castastrophe. (Phonetic, pls)
None that I know of. I know some that give a clear indication of what I want but a determined hairdresser is going to say, 'I know,' and give you their version of a good haircut. Body language - like grabbing their arm and looking pissed-off - does not help as it is likely to induce panic and they will attempt to hack their way out of the problem.

4) Is Chinese hair gel really so strong that it'll leave you looking like Cameron Diaz in "theres something about Mary" (nice quiff)
No idea - I think gel is something used by footballers and I am a rugby man.

5) Since I'll be taking my own clippers is it worth getting a clued up winsome student to help out?
I think you should leave the clippers at home - once you get here you will figure out why I say that

6) finally any hair cut horror stories would be most amusing!
When I was teaching in Zhanjiang an American joined our staff. He been an MP in the US Army, and had an impressive physique (6'5"+), but his most outstanding feature was a pony-tail that came down to somewhere near his waist.
One day I heard his door slam so violently that I went over to see if he was ok.
He was not ok. He had been for his first haircut in China and was now sans pony-tail.

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 05:56:20 PM »
For once I'm on the right side of the ledger. With a head that looks a little like Jon Luc Picard, getting it cut is simple. Takes me 5 minutes, in and out, I couldwait for a bus. The place I go I usually have the owner do it. He is proud to show it off.

5 kwai
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 04:06:36 PM »
My instructions to the salon (as opposed to saloon) girls are simple.  Scalp massage (or more afafafafaf), but if those scissors get within 1 meter of my hair, you'll be in need of major medical attention.

Why would anyone us sharp objects to cut hair?  Hair wants to be long and free. acacacacac
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

rattie

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 01:36:38 AM »
For 8 rmb I got the first good haircut I have had for years last week,on campus in the little salon,the boy was smart enough to tell me that he wouldn't do any layering because my hair is really fine,I now sport a swingy bob that is collar bone length at the front, nape of the neck at the back with a wispy kind of fringe and if I wasn't an old boiler I would feel HOT!

I took our new Afro American girl teacher there on the weekend, and after initial surprise and fear on everybody's parts they settled down and did her straightening, her choices were to spend 50 or 80 yuan, we asked the difference,"simple said they, 80 will work, 50 won't"! She left happy,that's the main thing innit?