Massive explosion in Nanjing

• 10 replies

Wags

Massive explosion in Nanjing
« on: July 28, 2010, 11:34:10 PM »
I had the bejeebus scared outta me this morning. I'm at the mother-in-laws abode in Nanjing dicking around on the computer. It's a lovely sunny day, the window is open. Suddenly a huge gust of wind enters the window then pulls out. A huge explosion. A pipeline in a plastics factory being demolished was ruptured and exploded. This happened some 6 km from where I am and still the wind draft was enough to pull clothes off the bed and totally freak me out.

Hospitals are inundated with wounded, though by the offical story we can see that the middle kingdom is populated with men of steel. 5 dead, 28 seriously wounded,100 slightly wounded. MY fat ass!! They're sending less critically wounded out to Ma'anshan and Zhenjiang. I'd have to imagine the demolition crew was toast, how many people do you normally see pulling down buildings? Only 5?  kkkkkkkkkk The official line is fully at odds with the local news reporting over 600 admissions and at least 20 deaths, they've run out of type A and O blood. Running out of blood is not hard though, it doesn't keep long and it's only in critical situations like this that it is usually a problem.This site also is very close to a major road and several buses and cars where burning and exploded as well. People in surrounding buildings have been killed by debris and collapsing ceilings.

This is as close to disaster as I have come here in my 5 years, touch wood it don't get any closer. I'm thankful my lazy ass is in holiday sleepin mode, lest I may have been on one of those buses.

Re: Massive explosion in Nanjing
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 01:54:14 AM »
Fucking Hell!

Count your blessings you and your family is okay and pray for those who are less fortunate
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 03:17:44 AM »
I'm glad to hear you and your family are OK, but I am shocked and sorrry to hear about the injuries and loss of life. Please stay safe.

old34

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 05:25:19 AM »
Pretty gruesome pictures from the BBC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-10787548

Especially the bus picture: the flimsiest of frames on Chinese-manufactured buses. Only the tires survived.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Wags

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 05:43:28 AM »
There is a small blessing in that it was in an area that is not heavily populated. Even so, many of the most severely injured are children which is very tragic. Thanks for the well wishes guys, you guys make sure you take care out there too.

Aparantly it was an ethylene pipeline they hit which runs from a nearby refinery. This could have been so much worse by all accounts. Cold comfort for the victims in this though.

Ruth

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 02:33:22 PM »
Glad you are safe.  The tag on the 7th picture says it all - safety regs  kkkkkkkkkk
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 03:55:19 PM »
Wags, that's what happened to me too.
I was working from home and all of a sudden my blinds came flying in and the apartment shook. I'm living in MaiGaoQiao, less than 1km from where the explosion happened.
Some of my neighours windows were smashed and a little damaging to some buildings.

My first thought was "damn,what have the North Koreans done?"

Reports from the locals put the death toll at 100+. I'm not surprised because it's quite a busy little area. The sound of the emergency services could be heard up until late yesterday evening.

Guess I should call down to the hospital and donate blood.

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.  W.C. Fields
Admiration for a quality or an art can be so strong that it deters us from striving to possess it. Nietzsche

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 07:36:27 PM »
Glad you guys are OK there. I can't help butthinkthat the blast and firehere in DL could've been like that, if it happened closer to a school or something.

I tend to take official estimates with a bit of salt too.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 09:56:15 PM »
Saw this on a news report this morning. It was all in Chinese on SBS, so didn't get where it was. Glad ewes are all safe.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 10:35:12 PM »
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 07:00:22 PM »
Hope they make an example of the asshole.

Too lazy to cut and paste it, but the Three Gorges Dam is in danger of being clogged open by garbage.  Seems the flood is carrying debris down stream faster than workers can clear it. 

I figure they should bring in some car crushers, squeeze the garbage into big slabs and start another Great Wall.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com