Original documents required for work permit

• 10 replies

xwarrior

Original documents required for work permit
« on: July 24, 2010, 03:52:48 AM »

Beijing Imposes Age and Educational Requirements for Work Visas
BEIJING, Jun. 12 – The Chinese government has issued new, stricter guidelines for the application of work permits for foreign nationals.

Foreign nationals must now provide original copies of a university degree as a minimum educational requirement and be at least 26 years old – the age requirement driven by a minimum of two years work experience following university graduation. Although there may be some regional differences, the new regulations make it harder at present for graduates or interns having been placed or geared for a China career to now obtain permission to find employment in their chosen field.

I am not sure if the reference to a 'work permit' is to the "Z Visa." or to a "Foreign Expert Certificate."

Can anybody clarify?

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Re: Original documents required for work permit
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 04:17:54 AM »
If it's anything like it was in Shenzhen, it's for the FEC so you can apply for the residence permit. A few years ago Shenzhen required originals because the department was getting too many suspicious copies.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 05:49:46 PM »
it's been the case in Beijing for the past two years: Applications go in with the original documents at the time they're submitted but you get the originals back right away.
We've had to get stuff Fedexed from all over the world for some of our employees to get their paperwork sorted out.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 02:33:51 PM »
For me in Shanghai this year, they want originals of degree & TESL Cert, signed contract, health check report, pictures, document from police showing I have registered my residence.

One extra, since I'm over 60; I have to find my own health insurance & show them the policy.

Last time I did this, in Fujian two years back, scanned copies of degree & cert were OK, and neither residence nor insurance docs were required.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 05:08:56 PM »
Tightening standards?  I'm agin' it.  With over a billion folks needing Anglofication, I can't see how making it more difficult to come here will serve China.  Criminal checks, sure.

I'm glad to hear of these grandfather clauses, so that they won't come after me should standards get to high for my credentials.  Nonetheless, I'm going to start a legal business so that I can can skirt any future changes.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 06:28:50 PM »
I think they're probably talking about Z Visas for those still abroad, or FEC and Residence Permit for those already here. I've always had to submit originals of my degrees and many other docs...I'm surprised you could ever do it any other way!
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 01:33:07 AM »
Yeah, me too.  I just wonder how stiff things will get in the future.  Lately I've noticed that my time in-country has kept open doors that would slam in my face were I a newbie.

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Mimi

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 08:39:00 AM »
Same here, Con.  I think experience will still be very valuable in China for a long time coming - specifically, verifiable experience at good schools.  So, not only will newbies suffer, but also people who take bad jobs at shady schools just for the $ and can't get good recommendations from the bastards.

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 04:36:12 PM »
Agreed.  Anyone who wants to invest a long stretch in this country should take a highly legitimate job the first year, and leave on good terms.

Easily said, of course.  alalalalal

englishmoose.com

Mimi

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 08:46:57 AM »
True.  I know that it is just as easily the fault of the employer as the fault of the employee when it comes to burnt bridges.  But, it adds another dimension to the ever-popular question of "Which job should I take - the standard uni at 5000/month or the suspiciously-worded offer at a brand new language mill at 10,000/month?"  While there are plenty of good jobs at language mills, the water is definitely murkier.  I think people should be aware that they may not be able to list that year of hard work on their resume as part of the required experience, or even get a job in that same province if things go badly.

Damballah

• Living in a self-delusional world!
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 02:24:07 PM »
Add to the original documents and experience requirements the exam (no matter how silly!) some of the universities are trialling on behalf of the Education Department for FTs, it is clear that the gov't is beginning to require provinces to stick to the rules. 

It seems to me that there must have been enough complaints from institutions and FTs to create some wavelets in the upper ranks. My reading and discussions with gov't officials give me the impression that the 1st tier unis and schools will be looking for better quality teachers - quals/experience/references etc - and this will gradually perc its way down the levels - probably ending up in the language mills last.  That will mean that language mill experience will not be seen as enough for finding a job in the better unis or schools.

So - we can say there are plenty of jobs out there, but if we are basing our knowledge on the ease of scoring a job a couple of years ago - we may be giving newbies the wrong ideas.  I think it will become more difficult in the future.  They may be still plenty of jobs - IF you've got the goods.

"At your worst, at your best...who cares? They really aren't that much different anyway, and neither are particularly missed or wanted here anyway." - Marilyn Manson