Chinese New Year - Annual Warning

• 6 replies

xwarrior

Chinese New Year - Annual Warning
« on: January 29, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
As Chinese New Year approaches the thoughts of everyone turn to the money and gifts that they are expected to bear back to their ancestral home. For those that do not have not money or gifts the next thought is to steal them.

It may have been just a Guangdong thing, because of the number of migrant workers who make an annual return to the family, but the days leading up to New Year made it the season of larceny and good pickings.

So, make sure you look after your things/money out there.  

Apropos of this, earlier in the week some skinny bastard reached through the bars of my Level 1 room and stole my cooking materials (including the electric element), and my mop. From the girls' room next door he/she got jackets and makeup.

Maybe the thief is a transvestite with a penchant for cooking crepes.  

I would like to think that some poor peasant family in Shaanxi is going to benefit from this ...  kkkkkkkkkk  but but I would rather think about what I would do to said bastard if I track him/her down.    
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 07:49:18 PM by Raoul Duke »
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Chinese New Year - Annual Warning
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 08:07:03 PM »
Thanks, Xwarrior!

This needed to come up...it needs to every year. The Spring Festival season is notorious  in China for thefts, with train stations and bus stations being the epicenter of the phenomenon. You should always be careful in those stations anyway, but around Spring Festival you should be downright paranoid. The thieves come out in droves during the holiday, and the danger is by no means confined to travel stations, but those stations seem to be the preferred target due to the huge crowds and the noise and confusion.

It's not just Guangzhou...it's everywhere in the country.

The usual targets for Spring Festival thefts are migrant workers, heading home to their families with big wads of small bills from their annual paychecks (really! aoaoaoaoao ), but foreigners are favorite victims. The thieves know they can potentially lift more from one foreigner's wallet than from a whole crowd of migrant workers' pockets.

Be careful! Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Travel in groups if possible, and keep an eye out for each other. Try to keep your wallet in an inside pocket rather than on the hip, and carry your purse by the body rather than the straps. Immediately  grab your wallet if someone bumps into you. You know the anti-theft drill...
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 10:24:13 PM »

I'd second/thrid that by telling everyone that's travelling by train to be extremely careful.. pickpockets are pretty darn skilled around here and before you know it, the content of your back pocket is gone!
been there, done that and didn't have any money left to buy the book  bibibibibi
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 02:30:20 AM »
nothing aproposes like serendipity. (Nothing seredips like apropos-sity?)
Just foiled a pair of thieves on the bus today. I was coming home from work on a crowded cross-towner and my hands were full. I had one hand on my daughter, who was falling over asleep on the seat in front of me, another on my bag full of books, papers and laptop, another on the rail to keep me from falling over, and another on my phone as I texted my wife a short "we're fine,going home now" message. Must have looked an easy mark, espescially because right beside me was a tall, broad young man with a particilarly vacant expression. The kind that makes you understand how "niubi" has come to mean brilliant, because he looked dumber than a cow's c**t. The kind of billboard who blocks lines of sight without seeing anything himself. I felt the familiar push, just above the centre of gravity, and instinctively shifted balance and pushed back, just a bit. Dropped my hand to my hip and began the twist just as the second push came, and brushed a hand off my butt. Eyeballed the two (yes, they often work in pairs) for a moment, then they moved down the bus to fish another hole.
If you're aware of your surroundings, you can often defeat these guys. Not always, but sometimes. At least make it a challenge for them.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 02:39:01 AM »
Just foiled a pair of thieves on the bus today. I was coming home from work on a crowded cross-towner and my hands were full. I had one hand on my daughter, who was falling over asleep on the seat in front of me, another on my bag full of books, papers and laptop, another on the rail to keep me from falling over, and another on my phone as I texted my wife a short "we're fine,going home now" message.

Well, with four hands it's easy to stop the thieves!  Us normal people don't got it so easy...

old34

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 04:16:46 AM »
Just foiled a pair of thieves on the bus today. I was coming home from work on a crowded cross-towner and my hands were full. I had one hand on my daughter, who was falling over asleep on the seat in front of me, another on my bag full of books, papers and laptop, another on the rail to keep me from falling over, and another on my phone as I texted my wife a short "we're fine,going home now" message.

Well, with four hands it's easy to stop the thieves!  Us normal people don't got it so easy...
bkbkbkbkbk   X 4
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

xwarrior

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 03:07:20 PM »
with four hands it's easy to stop the thieves!  Us normal people don't got it so easy...

:wtf:  my gf uses 4 hands to keep me at bay ... but i have 6 hands
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler