How to memorize Mandarin ?

• 23 replies
How to memorize Mandarin ?
« on: August 15, 2008, 11:33:24 PM »
I'm finding it rather difficult to memorize my vocabulary ... Was wondering which methods you have used and found to work well ?
It's been more than a decade since I learned a new language and I'm very rusty ...

Everybody should believe in something.
I believe I will have another tequila.

Re: How to memorize Mandarin ?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 11:34:23 PM »
Hmmmm live in China?  afafafafaf

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 11:37:57 PM »
I use home-made flashcards.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 11:43:44 PM »
No cheeky - for me that is the frustrating part of learning Mandarin ... I'm in South Africa and have an hour lesson once a week. Tried distance learning through an SA university before, but that really didn't work for me - I need someone to correct my pronunciation all the time.
Everybody should believe in something.
I believe I will have another tequila.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 12:17:42 AM »
It's a lot tougher if you don't live here...
Tough enough if you do. llllllllll

Memorization just doesn't work too well for languages, IMHO. You only remember what you USE... bfbfbfbfbf
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 01:54:48 AM »
Do you have CDs/tapes to listen to?  They will help.  Plus if you can afford it, buy an e-dictionary that speaks and you can record your version and compare.

But there isn't an easy way, because we don't have the same linguistic cues that Latin/Greek based languages give us.

Keep going - it's worth it when you get here.  agagagagag

Wags

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 02:42:15 AM »
My practise is to repeat everything said to me, often the answers are fragments of the original question +/-. Er, I guess I should say was as now I use this much less. My vocab improved the moment my listening did. There it is, it's the opposite bogey that plagues the English teacher, and that is poor Chinese listening skills and just has hard to correct.   llllllllll

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 03:27:10 AM »
ok, on a serious note, writing and writing and writing hanzi also helps.

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 03:29:44 AM »
What Cheeky said. Three hours, every day, writing hanzi.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 03:35:11 AM »
I need someone to correct my pronunciation all the time.

Writing hanzi helps with reading, but to be able to speak you need to listen and (hopefully) have someone help you with pronunciation or if that is not possible, use language labs or tapes and CDs.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 10:35:13 AM »
What Cheeky said. Three hours, every day, writing hanzi.

Jeez. Get a JOB, willya? ::)

Cheeky, at least, knows what she's talking about. Writing the characters is IMHO the best way to get vocabulary while keeping the homonyms under control, and get a solid general foundation to the language. The other stuff is important too, of course, but incorporating the characters will in the long run yield you a much better command of the language than will attempting it without the written form.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 10:41:41 AM »
I always thought the best way would be a very pretty, but very strict Chinese teacher with a whip.
 cbcbcbcbcb cbcbcbcbcb cbcbcbcbcb cbcbcbcbcb cbcbcbcbcb cbcbcbcbcb
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 10:55:46 AM »
Sadly, no. Too hard to focus. Lousy retention rate.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 11:41:04 AM »
Depends.  Maybe the whipping is a reward for good memorization.

cbcbcbcbcb cbcbcbcbcb cbcbcbcbcb cbcbcbcbcb cbcbcbcbcb cbcbcbcbcb cbcbcbcbcb cbcbcbcbcb
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 01:38:53 PM »
Ultimately, when learning Chinese one has to have constant oral practice and constant writing practice. See, we are different from Chinese. Their whole education system is based on memorization. We are used to picking up stuff through conversation, listening and reading.
VW, Chinese unlike majority of other languages, requires a LOT of spoken practice (that if you want to improve your speaking skills). My Uni mates studied really hard for 5 years with all these Chinese teachers and exchange students in class. Yet, most of them once in China got completely lost when it came to speaking and understanding. They picked up faster than us, mortals, of course with the time. Whatever was said about tapes and movies - it is your best chance atm besides having a Chinese person talking to you.