Tv

• 460 replies
Re: Tv
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2011, 12:59:03 AM »
jpd, I had to download the British version of Skins and check it out after I watched the first episode of the American version because I couldn't believe that a show so successful could be so awful. The American version is so unbelievably bad compared to the British version. It is embarassing really, especially the kid who plays the American Tony. He's just absolute crap.

Luckily the American version of Shameless is pretty good. The actors can actually act and of course William H. Macy is a legend and it is great to see him at it every week. It got off to a shaky start, I thought, but by the end of the season I was hooked.

I just watched the first episode of the new Showtime series The Borgias and it looks like it'll be good. Very dark and sexy, full of intrigue, and also very visually pleasing what with all the period era costumes and sets. It will be interesting to see if they stick closer to historical fact than they did with The Tudors, which at times was almost more like a Henry VIII fan-fic than anything resembling history.

I'll also second Subtitle on Californication. Great show. The main premise has gotten a tiny bit old in the later seasons but the first two seasons are classic.

Borkya

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 02:11:36 AM »
I just watched the first episode of the new Showtime series The Borgias and it looks like it'll be good. Very dark and sexy, full of intrigue, and also very visually pleasing what with all the period era costumes and sets. It will be interesting to see if they stick closer to historical fact than they did with The Tudors, which at times was almost more like a Henry VIII fan-fic than anything resembling history.

I also just watched this episode, but too be honest, I didn't like it that much. I felt like they were just trying to hard to be the 'Tudors in Italy.' But I like historical dramas, so maybe I'll keep watching it to see if it gets better. I fI remember correctly, I thought the first episode of the Tudors was lame, and I ended up liking that series a lot.

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2011, 12:57:52 PM »
To Mac Attack - If you're a Coupling fan, perhaps you should check out Steven Moffat's very old show 'Joking Apart'. It only lasted 1 series, but it was very good, and stylistically a precurser to Coupling. I confess I'd forgotten about it, but it popped up on 'thebox.bz' this morning.

Ericthered - Good to read an opposing point of view about Forbrydelsen.  The darkness and gutteral mumbling is fantastic, and as for the clunky social relaism; sorry, we just figured that's what Danish politics was like. I'll watch the first episodes of the US version 'The Killing' today.

I couldn't be doing with The Borgias I'm afraid. 'Camelot' is a piece of fluff, but I find it a lot more enjoyable. Merlin is a kind of immortal Peter Mandelsen /Rahm Emmanuel. Even though it's a piece of fluff, the characters are more complex and interesting. Papa Borgia - I wanted power, but I don't want to lose my soul. It's been done better before.

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011, 01:05:46 PM »
bump
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 01:12:34 PM by Just Like Mr Benn »

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2011, 04:42:04 PM »
If you are into period drama, intrigue and that kind of thing, there is a new show called "Downton Abbey". I just watched the three first episodes and I found it to be really good. agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2011, 05:39:24 PM »
It is, at least, easier here. bhbhbhbhbh

Today the Science Fiction Channel showed the fine documentary films Mega-Shark versus Giant Octopus , followed by DinoCroc .

These two contenders for Oscar nominations both celebrate the famous Exchange Between America and Japan, in which the Japanese got total world domination of the automotive, electronics, and specialty chemicals industries, while America gained the ability to produce the very finest in laughably bad, unconscionably written and acted, utterly cheesy low-budget monster movies.
Welcome to the New World Order! bfbfbfbfbf
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2011, 01:04:31 AM »
I don't watch a lot of TV, but this thread has got me curious enough to start looking for old shows. One in particular that I'm interested in is Boardwalk Empire, from HBO.
Has anyone seen it? Can I catch it online somehow?

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2011, 01:16:42 AM »
Boardwalk Empire is awesome. I downloaded the entire first season and watched it all in one day agagagagag agagagagag I downloaded it from monova.org
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2011, 02:08:07 AM »
It's worth checking out 'The Good Wife'.

Standard US legal TV show. New case wach week. Love life back stories.

But here's the thing. It's really good; the acting, the scripts, the moral ambiguity. Sometimes a great TV show doesn't need to have an original concept. It just needs to be great.

Michael J Fox turns up every now and then (such as this week) and is awesome.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2011, 12:01:06 PM »
Are there any fans of Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K) on here?
If so, I've discovered to my delight that you can torrent whole- or half-seasons of it on btjunkie.com! axaxaxaxax

I recommend the early seasons...Season 3 is a particular favorite.
Don't waste your time or break your heart on the last few seasons...by then all the real talent had left, and the show had degenerated into a tragically emetic kiddie show. aaaaaaaaaa
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2011, 06:39:50 PM »
Highly recommend breaking bad and in treatment, the latter being hard to find online
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Borkya

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2011, 09:21:28 PM »
Just saw the first two episodes of the new Camelot. Different, but not bad. (Plus it's nice to see Joseph Fiennes on the screen again.)

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2011, 10:55:18 PM »
I subscribe to a service that provides TV Episodes from the major outlets including the old series like MST-3000. It also has first run movies. It starts around $4.99 per month for a basic membership. Here is the link: http://www.graboid.com.

I have been using this for awhile and have found it to quite reliable and useful. You can also sign up for a free 30-day trial!

I watched the super bowl using this service. Plus, as an added bonus, is that the videos do not have any commercials.

xwarrior

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2011, 05:22:14 PM »
{I thought I have seen this site mentioned in the Saloon before, but it does not show up in Search}

FixPlay
 http://fixplay.ninemsn.com.au/

It:
- is Australian (if I can handle that I am sure you can!)
- comes compliments of Ninemsn.au
- was streaming a really good picture
- has 30sec advertising breaks ... but seemed a small price to pay for a programme i watched this morning

Programmmes  include:

The Middle - USA
Doctor Who - UK
Day of the Triffids - UK
The Vampire Diaries - USA
Naked Chef - UK
Nikita - USA
Spooks - UK
plus Australian programmes

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2011, 06:15:55 PM »
{I thought I have seen this site mentioned in the Saloon before, but it does not show up in Search}

FixPlay
 http://fixplay.ninemsn.com.au/

It:
- is Australian (if I can handle that I am sure you can!)
- comes compliments of Ninemsn.au
- was streaming a really good picture
- has 30sec advertising breaks ... but seemed a small price to pay for a programme i watched this morning

Programmmes  include:

The Middle - USA
Doctor Who - UK
Day of the Triffids - UK
The Vampire Diaries - USA
Naked Chef - UK
Nikita - USA
Spooks - UK
plus Australian programmes

Thanks. Was in the mood to watch a movie, and am giving Blood Brothers a try at the moment. Good quality, too.
suddenly it become more of a statement to NOT have a tattoo…