Smartphones

• 495 replies
Re: Smartphones
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 11:51:03 PM »
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

NATO

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 04:26:00 AM »
I'm considering purchasing a smartphone in the coming months - has anybody heard of any chinese learning tools comparable to Pleco for the Android operating system, I searched giggle but didn't find anything up-to-date? It doesn't look like Pleco will be landing on Android properly until 2011. Also what other OS's are there to consider?

EDIT I just found this post from July about Chinese learning tools for Android that may be useful: http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/26445-android-chinese-apps/
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 04:34:04 AM by NATO »

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 04:25:52 AM »
FWIW re that ^ question, I have the HTC Desire now, Android 2.2, and I've looked around some at apps.  What I've come up with thus far is HanWriting, a handwriting recognition app for Chinese characters (and as an app it has a huge amount of potential--it looks and works great, it just doesn't recognise characters very well unless your input is spot on--so, kinda crap as an app currently.).  There's also Hanping Chinese-English dictionary, which is cool and includes bad words, and there's either Sogou or Google Pinyin as choices for IME.  I like Sogou because it's what I use on my laptop.  Haven't tried the Googster's.

But buying the phone in China means you get various IMEs anyway, and one of them on my phone accepts such input as one can squiggle on the touch screen and is moderately accepting in recognising what you write.

(And I forget exactly where I got the versions I'm currently using, so YMMV re the links included above.)

NATO

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 12:12:19 AM »
Two Iphone 2's have come up for sale second hand, I think I could get a good deal for them but I am concerned that the technology is too outdated - is there likely to be any compatability issues for apps etc? I don't fully understand the difference between 2, 3, 4g anyway.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 02:56:11 AM »
If you don't want an iPhone 4 then stick with the iPhone 3GS. Don't go buy an iPhone 3G or older. It will not be able to handle the newest operating system.

old34

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 03:08:27 AM »
If you don't want an iPhone 4 then stick with the iPhone 3GS. Don't go buy an iPhone 3G or older. It will not be able to handle the newest operating system.

Wot he said.

Plus only the 3GS and the 4 have Wifi built in. Previously, the mainland versions of 3, 2 and 1 didn't. (HK and Singapore versions did.) With ubiquitous Wifi here in China, you'll save a lot of money using Wifi when you're in your apartment or out in public to use most of the non-phone functions of the iPhone/iPod.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

NATO

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 07:57:53 AM »
Ok thanks, both have you have confirmed my suspicions.  It's not that I don't want an iphone 4, more that they have a hefty price tag so a longer term attainment plan is needed.

xwarrior

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 03:00:24 AM »
I have not got a Smartphone - in fact I have a mentally deficient Nokia that cannot even remember names - but this article on Android may help those living in China who are using the system.

A guide to using an Android smartphone in China, and how to get paid apps

http://www.lostlaowai.com/blog/china-stuff/china-tech/a-guide-to-using-an-android-smartphone-in-china-and-how-to-get-paid-apps/

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 03:21:35 AM »
Jeez, those things dropped in price fast.  The HTC Desire is now 800 yuan cheaper than when I bought it, less than six months ago.

*sigh* still waiting on the perfect storm: smartphone use explodes, the international malware capital of the world moves from Eastern Europe to China, Android operating system counts as fair game because it's linked to obviously anti-Chinese megaliths as Google and Facebook....

Oh wait, that's like already happ--

2011 is supposed to be the year of the smartphone (and tablet).  And anti-virus, anti-malware options are... virtually nil.   ARRGHHH, WE'RE ALL GONNA... post letters.

NATO

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 10:10:11 PM »
My phone is nearly destroyed and I am going to replace it with a smartphone imminently. Can anyone recommend a phone for me around 2000-3000rmb? I like HTC and am planning to get one. I have been looking at the DesireHD and Incredible S and I've been sucked into thinking I need something brand new and up-to-date etc but I think this is just because I have been reading too many user reviews on websites where the vast majority of users are massive tech nerds.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:42:03 PM by NATO »

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 10:30:05 PM »
I'm loving my Sony Ericsson xxperia x15 or something along those lines. cheap but very reliable and a nice size (I dont like big clunky screens like ion the I phone and htc)

Monkey King

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2011, 11:14:18 PM »
Pleco Dict with OCR is coming on Android.  Might be time to update my ancient Windows Mobile HTC whatchamacallit.

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 10:54:02 PM »
HTC Desire is awesome, the HD version is too big for my hand lol
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2011, 12:54:14 AM »
I bought a Nokia E71 in August in Australia for $350 (probably about 2500-300RMB). Love it. Does everything but wipe my rear end!

However, once I decide to get a new phone in a year or two I definately want an iPhone, whichever model they're up to by then. All my bits n pieces are divided between my Nokia and iPod touch, and it's annoying!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2011, 02:55:06 AM »
I bought an HTC Desire this week and to say that I'm loving it is an understatement.

You can get free applications via the G--gle Android Market, and that isn't a problem really, but you need to sync your phone with your G-gle account, and HTC devices purchased in China do not have G--gle account settings  asasasasas.

I have also been reading a LOT about "rooting" Android phones. Should I root mine? I can say that I like my new phone the way it is (for now), but a few moments ago one of my students showed a rooted phone and it looks just amazing. I don't know anything anymore. What can I do, guys?