A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)

• 545 replies
Re: A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)
« Reply #390 on: November 11, 2008, 04:10:49 AM »
Icebear, where does your friend come from?

icebear

• ????
« Reply #391 on: November 12, 2008, 06:34:26 AM »
He's American, 23 years old, just got his BA a few months ago.

Schnerby

« Reply #392 on: November 18, 2008, 02:12:29 AM »
Went back to the Chinese consulate this week. They were very friendly (last time I was there they were anything but friendly) and even helpful. Got my paperwork underway and so far it looks promising...

George

• My view of China
« Reply #393 on: November 18, 2008, 02:30:08 AM »
Another step closer, Schnerbs. agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #394 on: November 18, 2008, 03:46:23 AM »
Kevin Rudd, despite his outspokenness is a Chinese favourite - just because he can speak Chinese.  Everyone talks about him positively.

« Reply #395 on: November 18, 2008, 03:48:07 AM »
 offtopic no?

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #396 on: November 18, 2008, 03:46:16 PM »
Extremely offtopic .
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #397 on: November 19, 2008, 03:37:24 AM »
Extremely offtopic .

NOT - because of Rudd, China likes Australia - therefore visas are much easier now that the Olympics are over.  You just gotta think logically guys!  Figure out WHY a comment would be made in the thread. 

But then ... as Hofstede points out in his work on Cultural Dimensions, many westerners have low context communication, whereas many Asians have high-text - they understand what is meant without everything having to be explained precisely.  I've clearly been here too long!!! ananananan ananananan ananananan agagagagag

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
« Reply #398 on: November 19, 2008, 05:38:07 AM »
I'll be at the Sanya PSB early next week asking for a 30 day extension on my expiring L visa I got in HK nearly two months ago, early the day before expiry date. I'm assuming & pretty sure there will be no troubles but allowing myself a day to exit China if turned down at the window.

I know first hand an easy handful of people from different, but the main 6 countries, that Have extensions on their visa they got at different PSB offices IN China the past couple months.

I'm going to give it 30 more days before buying a 6 month visa through Shanghai agents that are now doing visas for many countries again, same as before the changes but at higher cost.

PM me if you want contact details for Shangagents.
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

« Reply #399 on: November 19, 2008, 02:08:47 PM »
Yeah agents are back in the game. Btw, HK gives 6 months visas now.

« Reply #400 on: November 19, 2008, 04:31:55 PM »
Cheeky, what kind? How much?

« Reply #401 on: November 19, 2008, 04:38:32 PM »
L. Dunno how much. But few Americans here just got.

« Reply #402 on: November 19, 2008, 04:51:55 PM »
Btw, HK gives 6 months visas now.

For Americans. My visa agency in HongKong told me last week that they can now get 6 month multiple entries for Americans only. They think the rest will follow shortly but apparently the powers that be were pretty pleased with the choice of new president so decided to reward you yanks.
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

« Reply #403 on: November 21, 2008, 02:02:24 PM »
Quoting from a letter to staff of FIL's college(how is it in other cities of Guangdong and other provinces???)

According to related Chinese Law, all foreigners need a work permit before they can work in mainland China. Then need to apply for working visa and resident  permit. There are two different work permits: employment permit and foreign expert permit. The employment permit issued by local labour bureau, is mainly for people who work in companies; the foreign expert permit issued by provincial foreign expert bureaus, is mainly for people who works in education institution.

Compared to employment permit, foreign expert permit are more difficult to obtain.
Language teacher must have taught mother language and have at least two years teaching
experiences, other teachers must have at least five years teaching experience, etc.
and there is age limit. Without very special reasons, the application for
people over 60 years old is normally not accepted. Application for foreign expert permit
need more time, usually more than one
month.

Before May 2008, the Zhuhai Labour Bureau would issue employment permits to people
working in both companies and schools. Including our college, all institutions in Zhuhai had applied alien employment permits for their foreign staff. At present, according
to the guidelines of the province government, the Labour Bureau will not issue new
employment permits to foreign staff working in education institution. All foreign
staff working for education institution must apply for foreign expert permits from the
Guangdong Foreign Expert Bureau. The current employment permit could not be renewed
beginning 2009, the holder must apply foreign expert permit instead.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #404 on: November 30, 2008, 10:51:07 AM »
Figure out WHY a comment would be made in the thread. 

We do our best; don't always make it. Maybe there's a reasonable limit on how hard we should have to work to make a connection?
In this case I still can't find any legitimate relevance to the post in question, even after the explanation... llllllllll

This thread is important. Please stay on-topic without requiring readers to use a Geiger counter.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)