Summer work.

• 10 replies

Chief

Summer work.
« on: January 11, 2013, 11:19:01 PM »
Hi all,

Have been in China a little over a year now and my current job finishes in June. I will most likely continue to work at the same University come late September,

I was wondering what the best way was to earn money between June and September.

Location wise, anywhere in China.

I just want to save some money, to put towards future tuition fees.

Any suggestions on how to find work, potential companies to apply for and advice would be kindly received.

Cheers Chief agagagagag

Re: Summer work.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 04:01:28 AM »
If you only want short term work you're looking at summer camps most likely. Come Spring you should start to see a lot of adds on the usual suspect job sites. Summer camps tend to cater to children whose parents need something for them to do on holiday. You can make a decent amount of money but they'll work you for it.

NATO

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 04:07:31 AM »
I've never done but I don't think they're worth it because, as LTD says I've heard they really work you for it. I think you'd be better developing a good relationship with a language school over the next few months then when the summer holidays hit rake in all the extra hours they can offer you. Either that or build up a roster of private students.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 01:02:22 PM »
is Korea accessible for you?

they are famous for having very well-paid summer schools.

Perhaps some of the ex-Korea teachers on the board can verify?
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 03:48:31 PM »
If you find a good, trustworthy language milenenl and work for them during the normal term, then there is every chance they would hire you in the summer-time. That's what I do every summer.  agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 06:13:37 PM »
Whenever I get the chance (dates permitting etc) I usually head to Taiwan for a winter/ summer camp (going to one next weekend for 2 weeks actually) with a company called ALV- American Language Village. They usually advertise on the Spoon*.

*Dave's ESL Cafe....but ignore the forums!

10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

Chief

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 10:15:48 PM »
Thanks for the useful advice everyone.
Regarding getting a reputation with a language school, I feel this would be a good option however I wouldn't mind getting out of this city for the summer.

Travel to any country is fine, I will look into summer camps in Thailand, Korea, Taiwan and China.

Realistically what sort of money is made a week?

If anyone has any connections or links then that would be great.

Cheers,

Chief  agagagagag

gonzo

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 02:23:22 PM »
If you're in a large city see what your local expat site has under its jobs listing, as companies looking for trainers will sometimes access this option. I landed a beauty in Shanghai some years back; yes it took up a whole Saturday each week, and it was quite a trek in a company car, but I got paid very well.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

Chief

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 07:26:43 PM »
Hi

Just thought id give this a quick bump as I am still looking for a somewhat decent job between the end of June and September.
25 hours a week for 6000rmb feels like I am selling myself short! aaaaaaaaaa

So far I have been looking on daves esl with no luck and echinacities, does anyone know anywhere else I can search?

Have something decent lined up training new teachers in Beijing but it is far from definite at the moment, need to find a few more options.

Cheers for any help given, it really would be greatly appreciated

agagagagag

AMonk

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 12:26:01 AM »
Did you look over at eslteachersboard.com  mmmmmmmmmm  They have a Jobs section.
Moderation....in most things...

Chief

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 01:24:43 AM »
Thanks  agagagagag
I have just posted my resume up there.