• 86 replies

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: Worried about getting my dog
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2016, 02:22:26 AM »

babala

« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2016, 04:11:02 PM »
So I've been doing research on German Shepperds and it turns out I've been doing it wrong llllllllll

From everything I've read, they don't respond well to any kind of strong authority. They suggest when the dog bites hard to scream "Ow" in a high voice. Another way is to ignore them for a few minutes which they can't stand. If the biting persists, you are to hold them on their back until they give in. I started using this method and it seems to be working. I've only had to hold her on her back once. She does seem to be biting less (she is still a puppy and will nip) but she does seem to be acting more gentle.

Most importantly, it's been a week and she is healthy and happy bfbfbfbfbf
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

AMonk

« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2016, 08:26:41 PM »
So I've been doing research on German Shepperds ... it's been a week and she is healthy and happy bfbfbfbfbf

akakakakak agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2016, 01:57:08 AM »
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 03:04:32 AM by Isidnar »

babala

« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2016, 04:11:29 AM »
They wake her up but she doesn't seem afraid of them.
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

rattie

« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2016, 03:38:42 AM »
Kostya has hated every minute of Spring Festival, barking, lurking and being clingy... how is your girl?

My boy had a cracker thrown at him by a couple of little naughty boys when Kostya was a baby, he has never forgotten. Kostya hates fireworks, He gets very barky  ananananan

Certainly hope that your pup has adjusted to the mayhem better than my boy?

Quiet here again tonight and He is just relaxing sucking his toes lying on His rug, and we both hope your girl has learned how to do 'poo' in a place that makes everybody happy!!!!!
R&Kx

babala

« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2016, 03:50:34 AM »
I took Duchess for her second set of shots yesterday. The breeder told me she is fat (she's just well fed and not fat at all). Loud noises don't seem to bother her. She is healthy and happy and exhausting awawawawaw She is teething so she bites everything. Today she learned how to fetch the ball. It would have been great except when she brings the ball back to me, she then bites me bibibibibi They say she will grow out of it quickly (I hope so).

Sorry to hear your little one is suffering through the fireworks. We actually haven't had too many around here. Hopefully they will end soon. I would have smacked the little brat who threw the firecracker at her.

« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2016, 12:12:00 AM »
Good news. How is the potty training of the wee one going? When I got my pup, i slept with one hand dangling in her basket. When she stirred, i was up, dressed and hurtling down the stairs so she could pee on the little lawn. As I recall, by the third month she only wanted to do her business outside. Have you tried commanding Duchess in German? She might instinctively obey words like Halt, steht, Nein, schlafen, sitzen... agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

babala

« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2016, 01:53:16 AM »
I just bought 2 books on how to train German Shepherds. Apparently they do require different training than other dogs. Duchess is still house-training (by this I mean she pees/poos wherever she pleases) as she hasn't had all her shots. She is not supposed to go outside at all but I do take her for a walk once a day to get exercise but only on the road (no one is here right now) and I wash her down right after.

« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2016, 04:20:54 PM »
One method I used with efficiency was putting newspapers everywhere. I mean, Guai did befoul my place often. Now, what I was told was to put newspapers down everywhere, when the pup vented her bowels on the paper, I would praise her. Then you start removing some of the papers and supposedly the positive reinforcement makes the pup realize newspaper is ok to do her business on. Then, after the necessary shots, I started basically taking Guai out as often as I could, praising the living bejaysus out of her when she pooped in the grass. Now, a Malteser mongrel is definitely different than a German Shepherd, so I do not know if it would work. If you have the possibility to attend agility training with Duchess I strongly recommend it. My dog in Denmark went to that for six months when she was a puppy and those lessons still stick 10 years later. I recall there were some German Shepherds at the class and they took to the training like fish to water. Within weeks they were sitting, staying, rolling, lying down, shaking paws like nobody's business.  agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

babala

« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2016, 12:14:52 AM »
I would love to take Duchess to a training school but I doubt there are options around my part of the world. The other thing is even is they do have these courses available, my Chinese is not really good enough to be able to fully participate in them.

I think I'll look into it anyway and maybe if I can find one I will ask a Chinese friend to come with me. I'll try asking my breeder.

babala

« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2016, 01:14:25 AM »
Pics in the Photo Album bfbfbfbfbf