In China, physical exam tomorrow, worried about something.....

• 38 replies

enjoi

I couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere, but on my layover in Canada I asked the dude at the pharmacy in the airport what the best over the counter stuff was for headaches and he gave me some tylenol with codeine. Do they test for drugs at the physical exam? The lady from the school helping me out said they "check your peepee", whatever that means. I feel retarded for not realizing till now codeine tests positive for opiates.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: In China, physical exam tomorrow, worried about something.....
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 03:49:55 AM »
Relax. You're fine.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 03:51:55 AM »
Assuming it's now a couple of days since you took them, you'll be fine. They're looking for more sinister drugs.

Just don't go eating any poppy seed cakes  ahahahahah!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 03:52:05 AM »
Don't worry. Yes, they take blood and urine samples, but you need not be worried about codeine. They are not checking for mild stuff like that. Crack, meth, coke, skunk, mescaline, opium, you know, what in the Saloon is called "Casual Friday" those and other serious drugs are on the target list. So pop your pills and sleep the sleep of the innocently and legally drugged  agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 04:01:22 AM »
I don't know if they test for drugs, but considering the state of alteration of mind of many foreign teachers in China, I sort of assume they are not focusing on such things at all. Just an assumption since maybe the ones getting proper visas are less likely to be in a constantly altered state. They def. can not be testing or caring about cannabis since many teachers seem to indulge.

enjoi

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 04:03:12 AM »
Don't worry. Yes, they take blood and urine samples, but you need not be worried about codeine. They are not checking for mild stuff like that. Crack, meth, coke, skunk, mescaline, opium, you know, what in the Saloon is called "Casual Friday" those and other serious drugs are on the target list. So pop your pills and sleep the sleep of the innocently and legally drugged  agagagagag agagagagag

lol

enjoi

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 04:24:48 AM »
Assuming it's now a couple of days since you took them, you'll be fine. They're looking for more sinister drugs.

Just don't go eating any poppy seed cakes  ahahahahah!

Took some this morning actually. Still kinda worried 'cause I know I would be screwed in the states with codeine in my system. Guess I'll know soon enough.

Monkey King

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 05:03:06 AM »
Screwed?  You mean without prescription or what?  I thought half of the US was on painkillers these days....seriously, I was watching "Gold Rush Alaska" and all these working guys you'd expect to be heavy boozers were instead worrying about how to get their pain meds up north.

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 05:19:23 AM »
You'll be fine. That Tylenol with Codeine is OTC here. My mom takes them almost daily for her arthritis and she's never been denied a (work) visa. I wouldn't stress about it.

enjoi

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 05:59:05 AM »
Great info as always, thanks people.

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 11:59:38 AM »
Not likely to be a problem with the medical here... But you are wrong about Codeine not potentially being a "red" flag in the context of drug tests... Not because of the codeine itself, but because it is in the same family as some of the banned substances...and can bring up similar results on the screening tests. On one of the physicals I did in Korea I had taken the similar medication to the one talked about here... and was picked up for it... I had to do another test a few days later... after having been very careful not to take any more effectively to prove that was all it was.  But the medical exam in South Korea was much more extensive than that in China.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 12:03:59 PM »
E/E hosptial in Henan doesn't bother running the pee pee tests, just the blood panel. 

You still get to pee in a cup though, because, this is China and ...

randyjac

• 老骥伏枥
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 12:09:55 PM »
Two weeks ago I endured the biannual physical at the International Travel Health Center downtown. In Nanjing the exam never includes a urine sample, which surprised me.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
I haven't pee'd in a cup in Hunan for a couple of years now.

Well not for the medical exam I mean.

BrandeX

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 04:13:01 PM »
I've had the impression they are mostly looking for infectious diseases.