How Long Have You Been In China ?

• 48 replies

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: How Long Have You Been In China ?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 12:47:58 AM »
4 years. The plan was to stay 1 year but I lost the keys to my house in Canada. I don't want to go all the way back there and be locked out.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 01:07:57 AM »
I have been here for 5 and 1/2 years. I came here knowing nothing and without any great expectations...................and I'm still here!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

teleplayer

• Ni you hen duo xiao qian. Gei wo yidian(r)!
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 06:31:55 AM »
I have been here for 5 and 1/2 years. I came here knowing nothing and without any great expectations...................and I'm still here!

...knowing nothing and without any great expectations. wwwwwwwwww

teleplayer

• Ni you hen duo xiao qian. Gei wo yidian(r)!
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 06:32:36 AM »

...knowing nothing and without any great expectations. wwwwwwwwww

Welcome home, George.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 10:34:51 AM »
Ta, TP. It's good to be back. The local shopkeepers were happy to see me, and naturally, the security gates at "Lotus Supermarket" welcomed me back too. They all set up a welcoming chirping when I went through.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

culturev

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 07:33:36 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, just joined and this is my first post. I guess this is a good place to start. I have been in China for about 20 years. I left the States for a two week vacation to Taiwan, but I didn't have any ties back in the States really, so it left me free to do whatever.

I had studied some Mandarin on my own before going to Taiwan where I started taking classes to get a visa and one thing lead to another.

No real expectations, just wanted to experience a different culture and language.

Ciao!
Todd

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 10:06:17 PM »
Welcome, Todd.  agagagagag

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 10:36:52 PM »
Welcome Todd, have a  agagagagag Twenty years in China...I am in awe, sir.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

culturev

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2007, 01:32:24 PM »
Thanks! Look forward to getting to know you all and figuring out how to use all these icons! LOL bebebebebe

culturev

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2007, 04:00:13 PM »
Crazy? What's that???? llllllllll

When I went home after a 15 year stunt it took me like 2 years to re-adapt in the States. That meant moving to LA to live in a Chinese community for a year! Then after three years in the LA I got a new job that brought me back here, to Harbin, in my mind the most backwards of backwards places in China. Where they think they are very sophisticated... Now, I've been here for 4 years, but the return was yet another experience of culture blast and it has been harder in ways that the return home.

Chips Ahoy huh! Yes, those are the little things that really make you realize how different this country is from the rest of the world...people just don't realize how vast the gap really is.

Todd

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2007, 08:37:24 PM »
I would disagree about Harbin. I loved the city. If I wasn't sent to Harbin, I would leave China at the end of the first contract. When were you there?

culturev

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2007, 01:58:18 PM »
I'm here right now, I got here in 2003. I think my problem is more with the fact that I can understand everything everyone is saying. I speak fluent Mandarin and the people here have filthy mouths and speak like country bumpkins. It reminds me of the Beverly Hillbillies. Plus I am doing manufacturing business here and am constantly interacting with factories etc.

I'm glad you had a good experience though. The city is not real bad, and they have done a lot over the past 3 years to improve the overall surroundings including preserving a lot of Russian architecture. More and more Russians are coming here and there is even a Russian owned and operated restaurant and an Arab owned and operated restaurant! I hope we maintain this direction.

bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2007, 09:57:20 PM »
I was there coincidentally  from August 2002 till August 2003 cheexyblonde As for filthy mouths - that's like everywhere. And the bigger the city is - the worse it gets. Qingdao-ren were a bit better in that sense. Have you been called Laomaozi (not sure if its the right pinyin)?  ahahahahah

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2007, 08:41:58 AM »
Next week will mark four years -- mostly in Jiangsu. Arrived here optimistic and energetic. At this point, although my teaching skills have never been better, I am rather cynical and untrusting of any and all employers and a great many vendors.

Most rewards come from my work and relationships with students (always appropriate, I assure you!) and discriminating friendships.

Maybe it's the result of four years of disappointment and discovery, but I think China is not improving (at least improving in the way I'D like to see it improve), but only getting worse in terms of corruption, apathy, inertia, unethical business and employment practices, etc.

By the way, a big bravo to Raoul for his unbridled wit and wisdom and website!

"I wish my first spoken word was 'Quote' so I could make my last word 'Unquote'."
— Stephen Wright.

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2007, 09:22:42 AM »
Welcome to the Salon! There is an Introduction thread somewhere in Cabana(off-topic) - introduce yourself properly!  agagagagag agagagagag