Is internet use for 2 people in 1 apt (saves the school money) asking too much?

• 24 replies
Is this asking for too much? God forbid they save on rent, electricity and water but we have to SHARE one internet connection because there is no wireless internet installed, and yes, it's a college. What do you think?

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe

wrong question IMHO.. I'd be curious if it's even easily possible with the infrastructure in some Chinese apartments.

All depends on how much hassle you wanna go through..

to get a second internet connection, you might need a second phone line which will cost a lot of mullah and might take a while to get sorted out, not to mention a lot of people coming in and out of your place etc...

or

get a wireless router and hook it up to your current connection. easy, breezy and will cost about 200 RMB
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

My boyfriend doesn't "think" the connection is similar to a wireless router connection but that being said is my second point and problem. Is it asking for too much to expect the school to pay for this wireless router (IF the connection was possible)? I mean yeah, we save them money on rent, water and electricity...  llllllllll

wrong question IMHO.. I'd be curious if it's even easily possible with the infrastructure in some Chinese apartments.

All depends on how much hassle you wanna go through..

to get a second internet connection, you might need a second phone line which will cost a lot of mullah and might take a while to get sorted out, not to mention a lot of people coming in and out of your place etc...

or

get a wireless router and hook it up to your current connection. easy, breezy and will cost about 200 RMB

sometimes it's worth coughing up the money yourself to avoid the hassle (and the ill-feeling that might be generated towards you)

If you're in China for the long term, it wouldn't hurt to have a wireless router to bring from place to place
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Thank you for the insightful answer. Apparently my people are cheap as hell but I, as a Chinese AMERICAN foreigner, cannot equally give them "a dose of their own medicine".

sometimes it's worth coughing up the money yourself to avoid the hassle (and the ill-feeling that might be generated towards you)

If you're in China for the long term, it wouldn't hurt to have a wireless router to bring from place to place

George

• My view of China
One apartment, one Internet connection....simple as that. Get a wireless router, and use that. Some things you just gotta do for yourself, China. Next thing you'll be asking the school to supply your dunny paper!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

I SHOULD HAVE ASKED FOR TWO SEPARATE APARTMENTS THEN. And the whole point of this is... tell this to my boyfriend who thinks ONE internet connection in which he plays VIDEO GAMES all day is just LOVELY.

One apartment, one Internet connection....simple as that. Get a wireless router, and use that. Some things you just gotta do for yourself, China. Next thing you'll be asking the school to supply your dunny paper!

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
I agree with you CC. Your school should pay for an extra Internet connection or at least a wireless router because your boyfriend plays video games all day. Seems obvious really. 

AMonk

...my boyfriend who thinks ONE internet connection in which he plays VIDEO GAMES all day is just LOVELY.

THAT is what I call a P-P [Personal Problem]!  Sort it out with your b/f.  It's not the School's job to negotiate on your behalf.
Moderation....in most things...

Borkya

We have 2 hook-ups in one apartment. The internet comes in the wall, then it is connected to a router. Get this...a WIRED router. It is too funny i tell you. The wire goes out the same hole as our air conditioner/heater tube, goes along the outside of the balcony, across the wall, along the outside of the other balcony and then back into the apt via the hole for the a/c again. "As the crow flies" the other computer is probably 20 feet away from the internet plug, but there must be twice that length in wire!  ahahahahah

It is so absolutely absurd it's adorable. But it works fine. We can both watch videos if we want. We did have to pay for the router and install ourselves, about 114 yuan in total, but my school makes us pay for our own internet as well (700 for a year) so it was no biggee.  

If apartment allows, wireless router and I'm taking it with me.

xwarrior

As I see it there are 2 options:

1. use Tecnology to solve the problem ... Google for  '2 computers 1 internet connection' and you will find a heap of advice. In the end the solutions are quite simple and not that expensive.

2. kick your boyfriend out and save yourself all the hassle. 
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
You could buy a wireless router for less than $20, but I've found that wireless signals can be quite weak in Chinese apartments...at least that was true in DongBei, where interior walls were 2+ layers of brick.

If that's the case, you can still use the wireless router to route the connection to different computers over ethernet cables. Not a problem.

It doesn't have to be a wireless router, does it? We use a normal router, you know a box and some wires, and it works just fine. It is cheaper than a wireless router, we only paid about 80RMB for ours and it is easy to setup.

Maybe the school could also provide his and hers washrooms, no?

Since the walls in my building are thick enough to shield against a nuclear blast, we had to use an old fashioned wired router. A grey wire for me, the blue one for her.

What's cute is when we are in different rooms, we'll email each other  akakakakak
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion