Re: How did the Saloon Happen?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 06:44:45 PM »
interesting about daves.
Correction, Kitano. It's "interesting about the Greasy Spoon"... agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

gonzo

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 07:00:48 PM »
Pretty much like Raoul tells it. i think I'm the only other original "gang of five" member who is still on here, and that isn't too often. Not being in China has much to do with that, but I'm pleased to see how the place has prospered.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 08:56:11 PM »
interesting about daves. i used to post on the korea forum in daves and very similar story. there were some very helpful people there but you had to read through miles of rightwing idiots who claimed to be millionaire experts at life to get to it....
bkbkbkbkbk

that tickled me as I waited for my morning coffee

I've been a Sinophile since I first set foot on that weird and wonderful country. This site lets me get a vicarious fix of all her joys and frustrations while living here in Dublin.

Thanks Raoul, great explanation. Do you have plans to head back to China at any stage?
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 09:06:01 PM »
Hard to say. I am unabashedly miserable and, so far, completely unsuccessful back home. llllllllll
However, my Mom is getting on in years, and I want to be around for her for a while.

I also fear aging in China...in a few years it may become hard for me to land a job there. Of course, there will be no retirement benefits for me from China, and of course the medical care there is dodgy and inhumane.

And...I hate to say it...I think teaching in China is a losing game in the long run, one we have almost no chance of winning. I don't really want to come back as a teacher.

I want desperately to come back, but it's at least going to be a while. ananananan
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Ruth

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 09:14:07 PM »
I was recruited from the Greasy Spoon about 2 months after the Saloon began, coincidentally, about 2 months into my China Experience.  I lived in a small city in the hinterland where my husband and I were the only foreigners.  The Saloon saved my sanity.  Really.

I can't imagine life here without my regular fix of the Saloon.  Folks back home just don't understand some of the experiences we have and it really helps to have cyber friends (some of whom have become real-life friends) to share with.

Thanks Raoul, Nolefan, Dr. G and the others who have moved on.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 09:21:07 PM »
I'm one of the sorta-washed (or izzat washed-up?)masses that Gonzo and the Death-Defying Dumpster Divers have extracted from the Greasy Spoon. I had a bit of an identity there and was loath to leave at first, but most of the regulars there whose comments I enjoyed left the spoon for various reasons. What was left got to be a little depressing. I still lurk there, but I haven't posted there in a long time. Can't think of much that would induce me to break silence either.
A lot of Dave's regulars (I should say, a lot of the better regulars) have ended up here, which goes a long way to explaining the sense of community. We're familiar with each other, sometimes from wayyyy back. Even when I know that I'm not likely to agree with poster X about issue Y, I still read with interest because I know this person has his or her reasons, and there's a good chance I'll either learn something useful or get a good laugh out of the post. Probably both. And that sense of familiarity, of shared respect, affects others who join, creating a continuity of, for want of a better word, civility. Ain't that how community boards are supposed to be?

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 09:31:42 PM »
Excellent.
There aren't all that many words better than 'civility', really. agagagagag

I love and respect the old bonds many of us share, but I want us to always remain accessible to new people, too. I think (actually, I know...some of them have told me) that they find the very level of ease and familiarity we have with each other to be intimidating. People like Ericthered, Schnerby, and many others came to us without the long-standing online links and dove right in...and can you imagine the Saloon without them now?

Be nice to the new kids. Try to get them in the conversation.

If you ARE a new kid, you can do it. All ya gotta do is talk. :surfing:
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 09:53:21 PM »
Thanks for the history.

I joined the saloon a couple of years ago when I was living it up  ahahahahah in Beijing working as an English teacher/tutor.

A very long story cut short, I was introduced to the saloon via Limubai and another member (Russian lady) who has now left. Initially, a bit sceptical of joining an online forum, I'm very happy I did. This has given me a lot of opportunities that I otherwise wouldn't have had.

Thank you.  bjbjbjbjbj
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:09:01 PM by James the Brit »

Schnerby

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 11:17:28 PM »
People like Ericthered, Schnerby, and many others came to us without the long-standing online links and dove right in...and can you imagine the Saloon without them now?

I sure can. He owes me dinner  ahahahahah ahahahahah

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 11:43:42 PM »
I used to be a regular at the Greasy a long time ago, maybe around 2004-2006 ish? I stopped posting there entirely around the time I got married because there were a couple of unsavory characters there who made the experience entirely unpleasant. I went back to the Greasy a year or so ago just to see what was up and the same unsavories were still there. Someone told me that everyone worth talking to had moved on to greener pastures elsewhere, but did not say where. A google search led me to this place I believe. I am surprised I hadn't found The Saloon earlier actually. The atmosphere is 10000x better.

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 12:41:14 AM »
I sure can. He owes me dinner  ahahahahah ahahahahah

I wouldn't be back in China if it had not been for the Saloon. So, blessed be the Saloon agagagagag agagagagag

Dear lady Schnerbs, the dinner is waiting for you...either you hop to Linan or I will trek to whatever part of Zhongguo that is currently being fortunate enough to enjoy your company agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

harry_aus

• "woof!"
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 12:42:12 AM »
Am afraid that I can't remember how I actually
found my way to the Saloon. But, certainly glad that I did!

And at my age, I can't even remember the name of the
movie I watched last night.......

Wait a minute! Yes I do! It was "Total .....", ah, darn-it,no,
 - can't remember the second word of that movie-title.

Schnerby

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 02:03:28 AM »
...either you hop to Linan or I will trek to whatever part of Zhongguo that is currently being fortunate enough to enjoy your company agagagagag agagagagag

Well, I'm only here for a fortnight more. But, China being China, I'm sure our paths will cross one day.

(Besides, I also owe you one)

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 02:44:48 AM »
In what many of my friends thought was just another round of my usual insanity, I got this idea in my head of spending some time teaching in China.  I spend huge amounts of time plugged into google looking for info and wandered into the original saloon. agagagagag

Despite Raoul moving the saloon twice and changing the locks over and over again, I keep managing to get back inside. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Monkey King

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 04:01:58 AM »
Was dumpster dived. I had been a long time lurker and some time poster at The Spoon, and on one bored day sent a PM to  a mister 'Burl Ives' (now known as something different) congratulating him on making the one useful / interesting post amidst a sea of bullshit.  Lo and behold I received a PM back inviting me to an earlier incarnation of Raoul's.  Don't post all that much, but I love it here, and long may it continue.