URGENT: Residence Permit runs out 18th Apr - am I fucked?

• 5 replies

NATO

URGENT: Residence Permit runs out 18th Apr - am I fucked?
« on: April 15, 2014, 03:49:43 PM »
I'm not sure how this works.

My employer has done nothing to renew my residence permit, which hasn't worried me because I have a new job. I thought it was up in May so didn't check until today and turns out it's up on the 18th.

Is there a grace period between it ending and me having to leave/get it renewed?

This is awkward because I have a new job I want to start, so getting my current employer to renew won't be easy.

Help appreciated, I'm pretty worried.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: URGENT: Residence Permit runs out 18th Apr - am I fucked?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »
First, call your new job and see if they can do anything to help.  Also, get copies of everything associated with your new employment.

Step 2 depends.  If old and new jobs are in the same city, see if a helpful person from either or both (assuming you and your soon-to-be-former employers are on good terms) can accompany you down to the naughty foreigner control office of the local PSB and either get an extension of your current permit, start the new one early, or grab a tourist visa to cover yourself for a few weeks.

If in different cities, you can try at both.

If all else fails, do everything you can to get everything for the new job lined up and take vacation in HK or Macao.  Then pray you don't have to go back home to get a new Z visa.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

NATO

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:05:04 PM »
Cheers EL. I took a slightly different route. Because my new job has only just been accepted I didn't want to dump this on them so soon, esp when I haven't said exactly when I can start working yet.

Spent today with my current company getting everything together for an employment permit extension. Early tomorrow I'll go to the visa office and try sort that. I'll blame it squarely on company HR. While that's being processed, my foreign residence permit will run out which is a potential thorny issue. Hoping I can get this sorted then will deal with the new/old job visa conundrum ASAP afterwards.

Wish me luck

:alcoholic: :alcoholic: :alcoholic: pppppppppp

xwarrior

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 10:39:08 PM »
Sorry - I was responding to a post about Easter ... and it ended up here.    mmmmmmmmmm

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 11:50:34 PM »
they should be able to extend the work permit within 1 day or 2 then get the passport to the psb.
per new regulations, now it takes 3 weeks to extend/renew a residence permit. so get it to them before the 18 and they should still be ok.

going through the same thing with a developer I just hired.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 11:53:51 PM »
Worst case scenario, ask to be sent to the Guangdong #7 Remolding Through Labor Camp for Naughty English Teachers.

Becoming a better person never hurt so good. cbcbcbcbcb
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com