Warm Reminder when Moving to a New City

• 4 replies
Warm Reminder when Moving to a New City
« on: February 21, 2012, 02:55:31 AM »
Now that I have moved closer to the heart of evil paradise here in Beijing, I've had several lovely and memorable experiences updating my documents with the local authorities.

A warm reminder to you all: remember, if you move to a new city, you need to apply for a new residence permit 10 (ten) days after your new foreign expert's certificate (or alien employment certificate, depending on planet of origin) is issued. This is totally independent of the actual date of expiration of aforementioned residence permit and is not an issue if you are changing jobs within the same city.

When looking at the rules at the bureau of entry and exit- all written in English- I still had to ask the officer which rule I was in violation of. The words "register" and "police" were used both in referring to registering at the local PSB as well as meaning go to the bureau of entry and exit to apply for a new residence permit.

This was just a situation that they hadn't encountered at my office before (coming off a res permit issued in a different city) and the company was pretty good about repaying me for the fine incurred. As an individual, I felt kind of helpless about this whole thing because even if I had known about this regulation, I couldn't really of grabbed the company's business certificate and chop to process it by myself. My wedding is in Shanghai in less than one month and I had these horrible visions of being stranded in Hong Kong while my family was starving to death on the streets of Shanghai, unable to complete the most basic tasks without me there....

ANYWAY- arm yourself with knowledge so you can constantly nag whoever is in charge of helping you file those documents. They're important!

AMonk

Re: Warm Reminder when Moving to a New City
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:03:09 AM »
Glad things got sorted agagagagag  The alternative could have looked apapapapap ssssssssss aoaoaoaoao
Moderation....in most things...

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 05:02:38 PM »
How big was the fine? mmmmmmmmmm

I always like to have enough cash in my emergency bail money envelope to cover all contingencies. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 05:18:52 PM »
It was 500rmb, but that might have been tied to the amount of time elapsed beyond the 10 allotted days between the FEC being issued and the new RP being applied for. For me, it was a two month gap.

Thanks AMonk, I'm pretty glad everything worked out too!

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 06:23:21 PM »
Nice to know I can afford the fine.  Now all I need is to buy a house somewhere in the wilds of Yunnan. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com