just want to say hello to a new forum

• 12 replies
just want to say hello to a new forum
« on: September 22, 2007, 08:58:13 AM »
Hi all, been a member of one of our illustrious forums (where the mods go crazy with power) for awhile but could not handle the people who seem to make the decisions about what was ok or not to talk about so decided that a new home was the appropriate thing to find. Apparently this is the place to go, and hopefully I will find a new home here. With any luck I am hoping to meet some interesting people who are not interested in belittling their fellow posters yet providing some good info to those who follow in our footsteps. ( and have some fun doing it).

AMonk

Re: just want to say hello to a new forum
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 09:18:34 AM »
Hellooooo AdamSmith!! 

Welcome to the Loony BinFunny FarmFreak Show Saloon.  We're all OK here......well.....except for George (and maybe Stil) and we don't usually bite.

Pull up a stool, grab a drink (Missi! it's your turn to buy) and a Toastie and settle in.
Moderation....in most things...

gonzo

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 10:44:07 AM »
Welcome Adam. Those of us who still post at The Greasy Spoon, as Daves Inc is affectionately known here, increasingly wonder why, with Megalomaniac Kalqushki strutting his dubious stuff. The only attraction over there is its sheer random nature, not to mention trolls and firefights, very little of which you'll find here.
If you get to Suzhou, never take the locals on in a drinking contest. People have died doing that, as the lampshades and soap at Raoul's house attest.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 01:11:09 PM »
Good to see you here, adamsmith.  agagagagag Poor Georgina is now persona non gratia at the spoon........You will find this a much more pleasant trough to hang out in. Welcome aboard!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 02:05:53 PM »
Hello, adamsmith!

Yes, you found the best and most hospitable forum for discussion and drinking!

The folks here are warm and wise and wonderfully wacko! One has to commit a serious act to get censored here (I think!).

I'm very curious as to which other forum you are referring to in your original post? Dave's ESL Cafe has very power-mad monitors, but actually, I had precious few encounters/confrontations with them. I dislike Dave's Cafe for other reasons.

However, I wondering if you might also be referring to ESL Teachers Board? I had been posting there with varying degrees of frequency for the past two years or so. This past August, more than 50 of my posts were eliminated from the forum in one swift action. Poof, gone! No warning, explanation, etc.

At times, I disagree with some of the posters here, but I try to do so with a reasonable measure of respect (because I DO respect these people) and decorum. There was absolutely no need to censor my posts in such a wholesale manner on ESLTB. I was quite disgusted by it, and moved my loud mouth over to the Saloon, and have been much happier -- and far more enlightened and entertained ever since. Raoul has created a wonderful establishment-homeless shelter for expats. Hail, the Duke!

ESL Teachers Board allows ANY charlatan to post some of the most outrageous job ads, and anyone to post in the discussion section under any moniker they choose, as long as it agrees with the monitors' agenda. Some of the most offensive posters (often agent/recruiters posing as FTs) are given free rein to say whatever they please to others on a daily basis, while other's posts never see the light of day. Whatever small level of credibility the ESLTB discussion forum had in the past, has evaporated.

Stay here, kick back, talk back, and enjoy!

agagagagag    Cheers to you, Raoul, and nolefan!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 02:27:44 PM by birddog »
"I wish my first spoken word was 'Quote' so I could make my last word 'Unquote'."
— Stephen Wright.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 02:22:42 PM »
We don't have to agree with the monitors here. They don't mind as long as we stay relatively polite and keep it on an intellectual level rather than groping through the sewers. They might even tell you they disagree.

But they will fight for your right to say it.

That's just one thing I like about this place. One of the others is that people don't shoot others down in flames when we stuff up or do something stupid or ask a question etc, and another is that people here often know what they are talking about. And if they don't or they are wrong, they take it gracefully.

Mostly. I mean, after all, the people on this forum are human.

Mostly.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Newbs

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 03:06:20 PM »
G'day Adam.  I noticed you over at the spoon asking questions about alternative forums in China and I straight away thought, oh oh, someone won't like questions like that being asked.  Anyhoo, welcome to the saloon, pull up stool, but not the one that's been shaped to fit George's bloody big but, and have a pijiu or two. agagagagag

I was thinking about the saloon vs the spoon the other day and I agree with what's been said above.  Another good thing here, I think, is that we are small in number, so it is easier to get to know each other better.  Also, if we are small in number, then there is less likelihood that there will be quite so many wierdos here, at least of the unpleasant kind.  Nimen ting dong le ma?

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 03:09:36 PM »
Mostly. I mean, after all, the people on this forum are human.

Mostly.

Very nicely put, Mr. Nobody.  However, I do question this occasionally.  I mean, look at their avatars.  Do they look human?

Welcome Adam.  The only "sane" people here are ... oh shit ... help someone ... no?  Oh well, have a beer.
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »
Welcome Adam   agagagagag

Human ?  mmmmmmmmmm Please define human!  I mean we need an accurate description of human to provide the parameters for us to check if we are human.  uuuuuuuuuu
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 12:25:10 AM »
Buenos machos, Adam. Nice to have you with us.
I don't read the Greasy Spoon but I heard nice things about ya.

Cheers has crossed my mind with this place a few times. Not at first...but after the fact.

But otherwise, the mods these days are hardly here at all. axaxaxaxax

Welcome! agagagagag
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 05:27:42 PM »
welcome on board!

agagagagag

things are a lot more chilled out here yonder and everyone is welcome to express their opinions on everything.... It goes something like "be nice to the other members otherwise.... cbcbcbcbcb cbcbcbcbcb"

I haven't been hanging out much at the spoon recently but it does seem like the online version of clockwork orange from what some folks have experienced there as of late.... oh well... they are them  bqbqbqbqbq and we are us bfbfbfbfbf
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 04:09:43 AM »
the online version of clockwork orange
Wow. What a brilliant line! bfbfbfbfbf bkbkbkbkbk
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 09:54:53 PM »
Well thanks all for the warm welcomes, just been enjoying this wonderful holiday week doing absolutely nothing so have not been around the saloon much. It is definately much nicer than hanging around an old greasy spoon though. Taking a quick gander through some of the threads here trying to find my way around has definately shown me that there are places one can vent (at least within a certain reason) withouth become involved in flame wars and people living under the bridge. Thanks Raoul for giving those of us here a new home away from the cafe.