I should be coming to shanghai...

• 5 replies
I should be coming to shanghai...
« on: April 03, 2008, 12:34:22 AM »
I have to do two weeks' observation at a UK primary school before my PGCE course begins.  The Uni have said it's OK for me to do that at a British International School in China.  I have now somehow wrangled to do it at the high brow institution that is the British School of Shanghai.

So I'm aiming to come to Shanghai in early May for that.  (My school's having a week off for May as per usual, they aren't following the usual government new plans).

IIRC most of you are on Beijing or Suzhou.  Still, always worth a try.  We could even come to Suzhou afterwards to meet you fine lot (as CD Jr will be with his grandma, who is coming up here for the last two months we are in China, so that she can look after him while we faff)
It is too early to say.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: I should be coming to shanghai...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 03:30:12 AM »
Wrong town. You should be coming to Suzhou...
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 03:31:31 AM »
I realise that.  Actually isn't there a british international school in Suzhou?
It is too early to say.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 03:40:11 AM »
I know of Canadian and Singaporean, but not British. Maybe someone else will know of one here...
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Monkey King

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 04:18:50 PM »
Hey, CDog, I have a few questions I'd like to ask about this.

Was this the only international school you contacted?  How helpful / cooperative were they?

And, in terms of your UK uni, how easy have they been to work with?  I ask because I looked into doing a PGCE previously, but it seemed most uni's could not be arsed replying to my emails, let alone answering any of my questions.(I understand it's better to phone up sometimes, but this can be difficult from China,and the lack of even any sort of a reply really put me off.)

I'm actually doing a distance MA in Applied Linguistics at the moment, but it's always possible I might finally want to do a PGCE too.

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 10:00:20 PM »
They've been surprisingly helpful.  I've made an appointment to call them on Monday to chat to the Principal.  I thought they would be really snooty (their fees are an intimidating 240,000 RMB a year!  aoaoaoaoao )

My UK uni where I'm doing the course have been really helpful too.  Perhaps I've just got lucky.

If you apply, be sure to emphasize the 'temporary' nature of each contract that you had in China, and emphasize that you always considered your place of abode to be the UK.  Otherwise they will declare you a 'foreign' student and hit you with huge fees.
It is too early to say.

AMonk

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 04:26:32 AM »
I realise that.  Actually isn't there a british international school in Suzhou?

Did some archival dumpster diving....Coach had mentioned a place that I recalled I had thought looked interesting. 

You might want to check out http://www.dulwichcollege.cn  The Head is Nick Magnus, and they are most definitely British National Curriculum!  Happy observation. agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...