Sochi

• 59 replies

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: Sochi
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2014, 11:18:01 PM »
The women held up their end (the curlers too.) Now if the men win their golds It will be a perfect Olympics 4 for 4. None of the rest of that crap really count.

Although, I have to admit, I really did enjoy that snowboard cross. Motocross on snowboards was pretty cool.

I hate anything with judges and pirouettes.

2 man luge looks exactly what it sounds like.

Canada will never be any good at skeleton because anybody that insane will already be playing goal in hockey.

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2014, 12:27:58 AM »
congrats to the first ladies of hockey! They earned their gold. Yes, DD, they got that lucky post. Also a chintzy penalty call, but then the trip on Wickenhieser became a 2 minute pp instead of a penalty shot, so I guess the bounces more or less bounced out. A classic final game for Wickenheiser, Ouellette and Hefford, who are all retiring as champions.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2014, 01:42:52 PM »
Getting there. Men's curlers picked up the gold and men's hockey got rid of those pesky Americans to play Sweden in the final.

Interesting article about how the Dutch speed skating coach (unbelievably dominant) would improve the American team.

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2014, 06:24:44 PM »
Interesting article about how the Dutch speed skating coach (unbelievably dominant) would improve the American team.

There's a guy who should STFU. No doubt the Dutch are incredibly dominant in speed skating (jealousy talking, damn, they make it look easy) and this year the US has been almost shut out. But if they ever cut some of those races or increase other events, Netherlands wouldn't stand so tall. One thing I admire about certain teams is their ability to field across the board competitors. Jamaica scores well in the Summer Games with nothing outside of sprints. It's not the countries fault that they are the best at a discipline, good on ya. When US, Canada, Russia, etc win medals all over the place, it shows how vibrant these sports are. (for the most part) A gold in 50 metre pistol shooting is worth the same in Men's 100 metre dash. True, some events are more marquee than others: basketball, hockey, figure skating and 100m dash. This doesn't diminish the others.

I don't recall an American coach berating the Netherlands team in London for doing so badly. Nor did he say the States did well because they play American football. Dear Mr Dutch coach, mind your own *%#$@ business. And I'm not even American
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2014, 06:28:33 PM »
2 man luge looks exactly what it sounds like.

Canada will never be any good at skeleton because anybody that insane will already be playing goal in hockey.

They could combine the men's luge with female skeleton   afafafafaf    

What about 4 person nude mixed bobsled     bhbhbhbhbh

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2014, 02:43:11 AM »
What about 4 person nude mixed bobsled
might be fun for some; but while some are built for speed, others are built for comfort

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2014, 03:42:15 AM »
What about 4 person nude mixed bobsled
might be fun for some; but while some are built for speed, others are built for comfort

In that case, we'll need judging with style points

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2014, 01:07:19 PM »
Canadian refs for the Canadian - Swedish hockey final.

I agree with Forsberg "What a f___ing joke!"

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2014, 06:03:57 PM »
Canadian refs for the Canadian - Swedish hockey final.

I agree with Forsberg "What a f___ing joke!"

I like it. What's the big deal? At least half the Swede team plays in the NHL and those who don't, probably want to.

Years ago when Canada started attending major hockey tournaments, we got royally screwed with the European refs. A simple body check was called a penalty for roughing. We were called dirty. It's a different style, NHL is a more physical game than what th other teams played. We beat them when it was ballerina style, let them beat us now. They want to play in North America, earn it

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2014, 10:08:24 PM »
It's not just a style of play issue. The could have used 3 American refs. It's just not that difficult to have refs that are not from either country and it takes the chance of favoritism off the whining list.

xwarrior

« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2014, 01:14:20 PM »
Conratulations go to Canada for winning the icehockey thingy.

A New Zealand commentator said that he once went to a fight and a game of ice hockey broke out.  agagagagag
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2014, 04:25:14 PM »
x, that was an old joke when George I was a kid

« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2014, 04:42:50 PM »
It's not just a style of play issue. The could have used 3 American refs. It's just not that difficult to have refs that are not from either country and it takes the chance of favoritism off the whining list.

I can understand that but I think everyone agrees that for the most prestigious event you want the best there. The Canadian refs are probably the best equipped to handle the (majority of) NHL players in the gold medal game. I really doubt the Swedes would have had any real issue. In hindsight we can also say that the zebras had zero effect on the outcome. Unlike the American ref during a game years ago between the girls. He heavily favoured his home side. I wish I can remember which game it was, but it was an Olympic gold medal game.

EDITED TO ADD: The gold medal game played on February 1, 2002 was marred with controversy as referee Stacey Livingston awarded the American team with eight successive power plays
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_at_the_2002_Winter_Olympics

So yes it can happen - look at the judging competitions and the corruption there. Happily, it had no effect (this time)

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2014, 03:44:45 AM »
Happily, it had no effect (this time)
my thinking as well. The Canadians won by executing a team-first plan. In a way, reminiscent of the Islanders way back when. The play did get a bit chippy at times, but the refs, being NHL refs, preferred to keep their whistles in their pockets as long as things didn't get out of hand. Things didn't. The Swedes weren't intimidated by a gang of thugs; they were out hustled by a team that competed harder, backchecked tenaciously, played a disciplined game, and a goaltender who didn't cough up rebounds. They were beaten by a better team.
I have a lot of repect for Forsberg. He's not just another home-side whiner, he's more than earned respect playing the Namerican game. In this case however it just didn't matter. Next time? Well...
BTW, I was impressed by the speed and tempo of the game. After watching so many Leaf games on HNIC, I didn't know hockey players could skate so fast. Did we steal some of those Dutch speed skaters?

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2014, 03:58:34 PM »
Watching the Paralympics sledge hockey game between Canada and Norway. Captivating and I don't mean that it's a freak show, these guys are really good.

One of the commentators made me larf. The Canucks are the better team (natch) and they've been putting lots of pressure of the Norwegian goalie. The guy said, "The Norwegian goalie is going to have to stand on his head to stop the Canadian goal scorers. But then again, it's really hard to stand on your head when you're in a sledge!"