Sochi

• 59 replies
Re: Sochi
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2014, 03:45:34 AM »
It isn't much fun to watch but the cross country event is so awesome and such a testament to why men are brilliant and stupid at the same time. crossing miles of frozen countryside to shoot at stuff for NO REASON AT ALL

Historically, that's the way it was done many years ago hunting for food. Originally they'd use bow and arrows, then moved up to guns and rifles. It's one of the few events that actually had a practical purpose other than sport
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 04:50:26 AM »
It isn't much fun to watch but the cross country event is so awesome and such a testament to why men are brilliant and stupid at the same time. crossing miles of frozen countryside to shoot at stuff for NO REASON AT ALL

Historically, that's the way it was done many years ago hunting for food. Originally they'd use bow and arrows, then moved up to guns and rifles. It's one of the few events that actually had a practical purpose other than sport

Ah yeah I know, it just seems funny to me...

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2014, 05:00:54 AM »
Then why is it stupid?

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2014, 05:05:34 AM »
Sadly those evil no-goodniks from Switzerland snuck in to second

At least it wasn't the (What's the plural of Belgian?) Belgiums, Belgiae  kkkkkkkkkk

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2014, 02:39:57 PM »
Awesome! We were watching the woman's ski jumping. Most did a double flip with a double twist - cool. Then the Brazilian lady was up. She did a simple back flip and landed it. She was so happy, she burst into tears. Remnants of Eddy the Eagle. I was telling the g/f that Brazil is great for many things, winter sports is quite low on the list.

At the other end of the spectrum, the men's figure skating was filled with flaws. Yea, like I'm critiquing as if I'm an expert. What these guys do is incredible. If I tried, I'd be in traction for years. But the top 3 men were supposed to be the world's best. Hardly a climactic performance. With Spain almost winning a medal, that would have been their first in this event

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2014, 09:27:40 PM »
Something is amiss, where's Germany?   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Winter_Olympics_medal_table

Country                  G      S       B      Total

1    United States (USA)   8   3   7   18
2    Switzerland (SUI)   5   1   1   7
3    Canada (CAN)           4   5   2   11
6    Netherlands (NED)   4   3   5   12
4    Norway (NOR)           4   3   6   13
7    Belarus (BLR)           3   0   1   4
8    Russia (RUS)*           2   5   5   12
9    China (CHN)           2   2   0   4
5    Athletes from Kuwait
         (IOC)                   2   1   1   4

10    France (FRA)           2   0   2   4
11    Poland (POL)           2   0   0   2
12    Austria (AUT)           1   4   0   5
13    Japan (JPN)           1   2   1   4
14    Slovenia (SLO)           1   1   2   4
15    Great Britain (GBR)   1   0   1   2
17    Slovakia (SVK)           1   0   0   1
15    South Korea (KOR)   1   0   1   2
18    Sweden (SWE)           0   5   2   7
20    Czech Rep (CZE)   0   2   1   3
19    Italy (ITA)                   0   2   2   4
21    Australia (AUS)           0   1   1   2
22    Croatia (CRO)           0   1   0   1
22    Finland (FIN)           0   1   0   1
25    Kazakhstan (KAZ)   0   0   1   1
24    Latvia (LAT)           0   0   2   2
25    Ukraine (UKR)           0   0   1   1

Total                  45   43   44   132

Nevermind, fixed mmmmmmmmmm

old34

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2014, 03:25:39 AM »
Two good hockey games on live now on cctv internet at the URL 'noles posted posted above:

Men's - US vs. Russia scoreless after the first period.

Women's  Switzerland 1: Russia 0 also after the first period.

The best part, no commentary on either feed. I guess CCTV doesn't have enough hockey conversive announcers and they save the one or two they have for when the Chinese teams are playing.

Just raw action (and a lot of it) in the US-RUS match.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2014, 04:03:02 AM »
I was navigating through the sight, this is what they said about hockey:

The origins of ice hockey are unclear, but it is widely accepted that the British are responsible for bringing ice hockey to North America

http://sports.cntv.cn/2013/12/19/ARTI1387418254756776.shtml

ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah

ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah

old34

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2014, 04:13:52 AM »
Well, they could have just used the CHINESE version of Wikipedia to learn the facts;  ahahahahah

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/冰球

Stick that in your translator and smoke it, CCTV.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

old34

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2014, 04:15:07 AM »
USA 1 - RUS 1 at the end of 2.

USA comes out a man short in the 3rd period due to a last second hooking penalty.

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2014, 06:16:00 PM »
Just for fun:

North America: 26 total medals

South America: zero

Africa: same

Oceania: 2

Asia: 13

Europe: all the rest - over 100

With a name like "Alpine" skiing, you can see why Europe does well. And if they ever take long track speed skating out, the Dutch wouldn't even bother to send a team over.

As long as we win the 4 medals that count: Men's and women's hockey and curling

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2014, 05:01:24 AM »
Shocker in hockey - Finland upset host Russia 3-1. Don't let the fourth and and fifth place seeding fool you; Russia was the better team. For some reason, they just couldn't put it together. Might have been the pressure.

And please stop with the speed skating. It's the only event the Dutch can win - and the bastards are too. 20 medals for 3rd overall in aggregate and all of them in one discipline. Somebody corrode their skates. (maybe not, aren't they made from clogs?)

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2014, 01:30:10 PM »
Russia was not the better team. Better names perhaps but not the better the team this whole tournament. They played well against the US especially in the first period but that aside, it seemed just like one on one hockey from them every time up the ice.

Canada has forgotten how to score. They'd better remember fast otherwise the US will embarrass them in the semis.

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2014, 04:12:41 PM »
Canada WON GOLD against the USA in the Woman's hockey today   :candyraver: :dancemj: bmbmbmbmbm bmbmbmbmbm bmbmbmbmbm
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2014, 09:12:14 PM »
Game MVP was the post