A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)

• 545 replies

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)
« Reply #510 on: August 22, 2011, 03:56:14 PM »
I had to get a new passport last month because the supplementary Form B for a Zvisa in New Zealand states that you need 12 months on the current passport, rather than the 3months required for other visas.

That sort of makes sense.  A z visa converts to a Res Permit, and those can be for up to 12 months at a time.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

xwarrior

« Reply #511 on: August 22, 2011, 05:47:54 PM »
I had to get a new passport last month because the supplementary Form B for a Zvisa in New Zealand states that you need 12 months on the current passport, rather than the 3months required for other visas.

That sort of makes sense.  A z visa converts to a Res Permit, and those can be for up to 12 months at a time.

Yes it does make sense. Something to keep in mind when coming to the end of a contract period.   

My bitch is with the NZ Govt because they now issue passports for 5 yrs - used to be for 10 yrs. After paying $$$ for a 5yr passport I could, depending on when I start a new contract, be getting a passport that is only useful for 4yrs.

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

A-Train

« Reply #512 on: September 14, 2011, 06:56:06 PM »
A curious little twist. All of my phone calls, e-mails and phone mails never led to any responses from the Chinese consulate.  However, when I wrote out my problem and questions, printed and faxed them, both the Washington and Chicago consulates called me back within a few hours and the latter was extremely flexible and helpful.  Who would have thougth that a fax would be the "magic bullet"?
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #513 on: October 28, 2011, 04:52:35 PM »
Just a warning to those of you considering working on an L or F visa. I am currently in Zhangjiagang in Jiangsu province. The local police just did a check on all the schools here and have ejected 27 foreign teachers from China for working on L and F visas at the schools. Currently there are now only two of the mills here that are now allowed to hire foreigners because the others all breached the law and have had their licenses revoked. I am not sure which two remain.

From what I understand this is becoming more common around China and is increasing the likely hood of getting caught. If you can afford to come here and then have to buy a ticket out of here then take your chances but I am sure you will not enjoy it as it can be a costly gamble. I will reiterate the previous advice given many times - Always work legally and save on any problems. bjbjbjbjbj

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #514 on: October 29, 2011, 01:12:46 AM »
Thanks, Adam, for saying it so beautifully.
There are always some people who don't believe working on anything less than a Residence Permit will cause them any problems, perhaps because they don't WANT to believe working on anything less than a Residence Permit will cause them any problems.

A lot of places really are cracking down on illegal workers. That's the reality. It can only be ignored at one's considerable peril.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #515 on: December 09, 2011, 08:16:54 PM »
If any of you do work illegally, get caught, and get sent to the Guangdong #7 Re-education Center for Badly Behaved English Teachers, please give my regards to the warden and staff.  Once they find out you know me, they'll make sure to give you special treatment. ahahahahah
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #516 on: January 10, 2012, 09:19:26 PM »
So....I'm reviving this post!

It looks like I'm going to work for a school in Cangnan. BUT, they are having me come in on an L visa. They have done this process with several teachers already and I feel confident that it will work.

Here is what he told me about the process about getting me the proper visa workup (after I arrive, he made it sound like getting the L visa to get to China was easy. The L visa conversion while in China requires the effort)

Here is a brief outline of what we will do for the visa process when you arrive on an L-visa.
 -------
"Within 24 hours we will register you with the local police station. Then take you to the Wenzhou Entry Exit health center for a medical  examination. After that is done, the school will process you a work permit from the Foreign experts bureau then a formal letter of invitation from the Foreign affairs office. The letter should take 5 to 7 business days after I have given them a copy of your healthy check, scanned copy of your degree and contract that has been certified by the local Social security office. Then we will fly you to Hong Kong, where you will appy for a Z (work) visa which should take 24 hours. After returning to Wenzhou you will need to get one more health check, then the Foreign experts office will issue you a Foreign Expert ceritifcate which is what you need to be a licensed teacher. Then within 30 days of you returning to China on your Z visa we must process you a residence permit at the Entry exit bureau at the police station. This residence permit will be valid until after the duration of your contract."
-------
This is from an english guy who is working with the school. He is part owner in the school and he has really made me confident in the procedure. I have also talked to a teacher at the school and he raised no qualms about the creation of his visa. Also, the medical exams and visa itself is all paid for by the school. A big plus!

Here is a brief outline of what we will do for the visa process when you arrive on an L-visa.

My question: how does this sound to you saloon members? Especially those of you who have experience with these visa things?

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #517 on: January 10, 2012, 09:40:34 PM »
My biggest question would be why they don't go ahead and process you directly to a Z visa from your home country.  Sure, some teachers might chicken out, thus wasting time and effort on this, but sending someone on an extra trip to HK from anywhere north of Guangzhou is also going to cost a few kuai.
EscapedLunatic.com

Riz

« Reply #518 on: January 12, 2012, 10:17:31 PM »
Hey EL and friends
I came back to my hometown in pakistan last year on 29th July, safe and sound in one piece. I tried so hard to get another school that could offer me residence permit and i failed. I did not over stay or anything and bought a ticket back home where things are never smooth. Here, I found a teaching job that pays me only 200 dollars a month. I am sticking to it as I have no choice but I see a light at the end of the tunnel as this school in Jilin has my documents approved from the Govt and they will send me an invitation. I can get Z visa again to get back to big silly. Life has not been settling down for over two years now. I study Buddhism on my own to keep calm, quiet and collected. Pray for me! I am awaiting that invitation now which will arrive in three weeks time.
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Short and funny quotes, Winston Churchill.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #519 on: January 12, 2012, 11:32:00 PM »
Sounds like good news is on the wind! Possibly a little off-topic here, perhaps, but good news nonetheless. agagagagag
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

xwarrior

« Reply #520 on: April 28, 2012, 01:28:52 AM »
Time to get the umbrellas out again!

Any time the g*vt says it is going to make life easier for us - including those who are following all the rules - you can bet that the outcome will be  kkkkkkkkkk

Visa runners beware! The crackdown cometh

China state-owned media is once again reporting a crackdown on foreigners who live, work and travel the country without the proper credentials. This story began to make significant rounds on China Daily and its affiliates at the end of last year with the introduction of a new law that creates more administrative departments that would collect and store biometric data for improved organization. It would also enhance the tracking of arrival and departure from the country by foreigners and Chinese citizens. . .

More at  http://shanghaiist.com/2012/04/27/visa-crackdown.php
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Ruth

« Reply #521 on: April 28, 2012, 02:21:58 AM »
Not sure if this is related or not. Got my visa in my passport (only 24 days late this year  ::) ). No sooner did I have it back in my hot little hands than the FAO wanted it back again. The campus police want to make a copy.

Me: Fine. I'll take it to their office; it will be quicker that way.
FAO: No, they need to keep it.
Me: Why? I want it back before the holiday.

Last time we did this the guy took it into the back room and copied it. This year they want to SCAN it into the computer. No scanner at their office, which is why they need to keep it for awhile.

New technology, Big Brother, or both? I've got nothing (much) to hide  :wtf:
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #522 on: April 28, 2012, 08:33:34 AM »
Yeowtch! aoaoaoaoao
Do stop by and let them scan it, but can't advise letting them keep your papers. If trouble arises, get your Consulate involved right away!

Maybe mentioning that you want to notify your Consulate will bring resolution...?

Clos

« Reply #523 on: April 28, 2012, 10:27:22 PM »
The government office in Zhengzhou will NOT do the paperwork for my foreign expert certificate until I pay them a bribe.

Their exact words were that I need a TEFL, and for 4500RMB I can "start the course", and they will "give me the foreign expert certificate once I start".  I told them I will take a TEFL course online, and they said no, it has to be their Chinese kickback school.

My school is very unhappy, seeing how they've paid for everything so far and want to buy my ticket to HK to get my visa.

Is this an issue I can take up with the consulate? 

Ruth

« Reply #524 on: April 29, 2012, 02:32:28 AM »
Yeowtch! aoaoaoaoao
Do stop by and let them scan it, but can't advise letting them keep your papers. If trouble arises, get your Consulate involved right away!

Maybe mentioning that you want to notify your Consulate will bring resolution...?
It's not that serious. They don't want to keep it forever and ever. They just needed a day or two to take it to ??? (I don't know) to get it scanned. I was supposed to get it back today. Poor student intern working in the FAO office is trying so hard. She had to tell me that it wasn't ready this morning. The police officer (apparently only one guy can do this - you know how that is) was too busy due to the Big 20th Anniversary Celebration happening on campus today. I know. That's why I suggested waiting until after the holiday. He's the one who insisted it had to be done Right Away.

Anyway, I got my passport back after being quite firm about it. It never left campus. I have to take it back in after the holiday.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.