A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)

• 545 replies
Re: A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)
« Reply #495 on: June 27, 2011, 07:53:22 PM »
French passport-first visa-possession of a HK ID although not permanent resident-L visa-double entry-can enter China anytime between tomorrow and Sept 28th-visa issued in Hong Kong

This is all I know now. Will keep you all posted. Unfortunately getting an F visa on a French passport is a pain. My company (a big western multinational) looked it up for me and they said they needed authorization from the trade Ministry. So, I have to get an L. Also had to provide travel insurance.

The moral of the story: If you have a french passport plus other, opt for other. Nolefan...

« Reply #496 on: July 27, 2011, 11:32:59 PM »
French passport-HK ID-F visa-6 months-multiple entry-30 days per entry

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #497 on: July 28, 2011, 12:35:27 AM »
Aw, guys... llllllllll ananananan

An F (Business) Visa DOES NOT generally confer the right to work for a Chinese company, or rent your own apartment. It's sometimes used for Guest Lecturers and other such short-term visiting workers, but in most cases it's intended for people working for a FOREIGN company, living in company housing, and getting some or all salary in a foreign currency.

That's the law. vvvvvvvvvv

Yeah, some people do it and it often works out OK, but it's not really legal...and this establishment will only endorse being 100% legal.
At least when it comes to visa/permit stuff. uuuuuuuuuu

So please...don't count on staying long on an F Visa. Get a Residence Permit and Work Permit immediately after entry...or don't take the job. kkkkkkkkkk
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #498 on: July 28, 2011, 01:34:10 AM »
What Raoul said.. as far as work!
An F visa only RARELY gives you permission for real work in China ( we won't talk about the exceptions)

however, and it's a big one, it does NOT prevent you from renting an apartment or opening bank accounts, at least not in Beijing. Those days are long gone! All you need for those, legally, is a valid visa.. whatever visa. There are some exception but they are more often than not related to the place you intend to stay if they are "restricted".. i.e compounds close to a military base, etc..

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #499 on: July 28, 2011, 06:38:38 AM »
I work for a dutch multinational and get paid in HKD. My contract is with the HK office...

A-Train

Re: A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (ANOTHER VISA NIGHTMARE!)
« Reply #500 on: August 17, 2011, 06:02:51 AM »
Question: I recently renewed my American passport.  The Work Permit and Invitation Letter I just received from my uni references the old passport number.  Does anyone know for sure if I can bring my old and new passport to the Consulate and still obtain a "Z" Visa?  Or do I need to have the Work Permit and Letter re-issued with the new number?

My uni does not seem to know the answer and asked me to call the Chinese Consulate in the U.S. to find out.  Talking to human being, let alone getting a knowledgeable answer, has been an adventure, but I'm still trying.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 08:52:14 AM by A-Train »
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #501 on: August 17, 2011, 06:25:51 AM »
Hey A-Train, great question. I don't know the answer here, either. bibibibibi

However, it seems to me that the Chinese, not the Americans, set these rules and need to answer this question... and it seems pretty lame of your employer to a) point you in that direction and b) lay all this on YOU. asasasasas
Chinese visas and permits are issued by the Chinese government, and the US Consulates don't get involved in the rules pertaining to those documents.

My advice? Visit (or better yet, have your employer visit) the local PSB Foreign Affairs office. They should be able to set everyone straight on how to handle all this.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

A-Train

« Reply #502 on: August 17, 2011, 08:50:57 AM »
Thanks.  I'll mention that to them, but won't hold my breath.  I called the Chinese Consulate in Chicago and got conflicting answers, (of course), but the one who actually checked with someone who handles visas told me that the permit and letter has to be re-issued and reference the new passport number.

Really wish I hadn't done this but my uni advised me to renew my passport even though it doesn't expire for 11 months. A good idea in theory, but lost in the execution.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

xwarrior

« Reply #503 on: August 17, 2011, 09:42:59 AM »
I returned to New Zealand for a holiday on 20 July and found that I had to renew my passport - while most visas need 3 mths left on the passport a Zvisa requires 12mths.

My new employer had already applied for a Work Permit/invitation Letter using my old passport number and I was asked to notify them of my new number as the documents could only be issued against a current passport.

Once they had the new number it took 2 days for them to have the documents issued and in the hands of the couriers. Delivery to me took 4 days.

The embassy here does not accept email copies of documents.

The passport number has to match numbers on any documents.

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

A-Train

« Reply #504 on: August 17, 2011, 11:29:59 AM »
I was having a hard time even talking to anyone at the Chicago Consulate so I wrote out my question and faxed it to both Chicago and Washington DC. To my amazement, both called me at home within a few hours.  Washington said "absolutely not" while Chicago said "yes" and also that they would accept e-mailed or faxed documents for the application.  Are they just screwing with my head or is this business as usual?  Never mind, I know the answer. It's BOTH.

Pearl S. Buck

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #505 on: August 17, 2011, 03:39:03 PM »
I got 2 different answers to another question from the emabassy in DC.  If I wrote in English, the answer was always "No".  If I had someone write in Chinese, it was always "Yes, of course."

I've never heard of any Chinese embassy or consulate accepting items by fax, but if it's supplemental materials or corrections, they might or might not, or might say yes and mean no, or might say no and mean yes, etc., etc.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #506 on: August 17, 2011, 04:34:29 PM »
I went through the same thing about 3 years ago. On a 2 year contract, visa expired August/ September (can't remember now), and passport was expiring the FOLLOWING December (so less than 6 months left once I renewed the visa).

Called and called and called the embassy (as well as several emails) to see what I should do. FINALLY got hold of someone about 2 days before flying out again- they said I needed to get a new visa in the new passport  aoaoaoaoao! Rushed down to the city next day and got a rush L visa. School wasn't happy I returned on this and had to redo the paperwork again, but what was I to do? I highly doubt I'd be able to do this now!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

« Reply #507 on: August 17, 2011, 05:14:55 PM »
Thanks for bringing this Q up, A-train.
I've got something similar to worry about. My passport expires early next year, and I've been offered a place at a pretty good school this fall. Surely they can offer me a position for one semester and I can get a z visa based on that, then renew my passport during the winter break? That's what I'd like to think, but I can hear a little voice telling me that ain't quite so.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #508 on: August 18, 2011, 02:05:13 AM »
Yep...every Chinese Consulate has its own rules on visa matters. bibibibibi
And anyway, if you're already in China, the inert and officious bozos in foreign-located Consulates have nothing whatsoever to do with getting a visa or permit locally. It all comes down to the local and/or provincial Labor Bureau and police...and THAT'S where the inquiries should be going. vvvvvvvvvv

On renewing your passport...some locales require that your passport either match or somewhat exceed your contract time before they can get you a Permit. That's probably why they asked you to go ahead and renew.

xwarrior

« Reply #509 on: August 21, 2011, 08:40:11 AM »
I had to get a new passport last month because the supplementary Form B for a Zvisa in New Zealand states that you need 12 months on the current passport, rather than the 3months required for other visas.

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler