Common Diseases & Ailments

• 34 replies

AMonk

Common Diseases & Ailments
« on: June 26, 2008, 01:27:03 AM »
Chickenpox

This was mentioned in another place, and it got me to thinking.  We have a veritable wealth of info and knowledge on any number of "common" illnesses.

First of all, it isn't always a child's minor ailment.  Chicken pox comes in 3 stages of severity.  Generally, when the pox is passed along, the next victim will get the next (lesser) severity.

The first stage/level can be extremely bad.  "Pox" outbreaks all over the body, including scalp and palms and soles and genitals.  In the worst cases, it can even be found inside aoaoaoaoao the body: ears, nose, mouth and as far down as the throat (or occasionally the lungs).

The second level is the one we are most used to thinking about when we hear the words "chicken pox".  This is when we have splotches of the pox on our faces, upper body, back and arms.  Most kids seem to show this level/stage, when they contract it.

The third level is so mild that there may only be a light sprinkling of pox bumps (or even only hidden on the scalp) and a slight rise in temperature.

Children appear to weather this disease a lot more easily than adults.  Adults are much more prone to the complications, too.

Treatment is for each syptom, as needed.  See your doctor for extra advice, medicine.
Wear loose clothing, and apply calamine lotion or baking soda paste to the affected areas. 
Warm baths in baking soda-laced water.  PAT dry, do NOT rub.
Try not to scratch. Take an antihistamine for relief of the itching.  Aspirin/Tylenol/Advil for any fever. 

'Shroomy...what did I miss?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 08:43:18 AM by AMonk »
Moderation....in most things...

Re: Common Diseases & Ailments
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 04:09:48 AM »
From what I know, chickenpox can also develop into shingles, which is a rather painful skin disorder, I think.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

AMonk

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 05:11:22 AM »
Yes. 
You (almost) never have a recurrence of the pox.  But the virus does get into the lymph nodes and can hide there for many, many moons.  THEN it re-appears as shingles....which can come back again and again.  Nasty Bugger! asasasasas
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 02:18:53 PM »
Yup, I've had shingles twice.  But a long time ago, stress will bring on an attack so never get stressed  ahahahahah
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 12:57:39 AM »
Technically, the virus lives in the spinal ganglia, not the lymph nodes. It's not exactly a skin disease, as chicken pox is actually part of the herpes family - herpes zoster. Shingles are like having cold sores on your torso, only bigger and more painful.

If you are having an outbreak of Shingles, you are at risk of giving chicken pox to anyone who hasn't had it, too, but only by contact with the fluids from the sores, not so easily as the Chicken pox.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 02:52:37 AM »
I see an unusually high proportion of Irritable Bowel Syndrome among expats in China. They seem uncertain as to what causes this....stress, weird diet, many things are considered possibilities. Might wanna be sure you keep some fiber in your diet, don't overdo the chili peppers and fried stuff, wash the food you eat,...and try to stay relaxed. Liberal application of tequila helps with this immensely. bfbfbfbfbf

Not all the ailments common here are physical.

Stress is surprisingly high and common. You may only teach a few hours a week, but you're foreign and funny-looking 24/7.

Depression is also a concern...isolation, loneliness, baggage from Old Country...a lot of things can take their toll in this environment.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

ting

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 12:25:02 AM »
PUBIC LICE

Cute little fellows living on pubic hair, mostly.  I found a few, took a close look and found many hanging on to me.  Itchy too. Annoying but harmless insects parasitic on humans only.  Feed by inserting mouthparts into host and sucking a bit of blood.  Not known to transmit diseases.  To confirm diagnosis, never had them before, i went to the  local chinese male  hospital and was greeted by many female nurses and techs and finally saw the  man doc.  he said yes i did have the lice and would i like a complete male checkup on all my parts, internal and external, while i was there.  i passed on most of the tests, took the sex transmitted disease blood tests, all ok and was glad.  then came the really bad part: the prescription to eliminate the little devils.  high cost, unreadable  packages and 'return in 2 weeks for more'.  i bought the stuff and later learned all was useless against the insects.  in america we use an insecticide shampoo specially prepared for the job.  kills the insects, repeat after a week to get the next brood.  i wanted them gone so bought a can of aerosol insecticide containing pyrethrins.  not expensive compared to doc's drugs. sprayed some on old underpants, protected my penis with a condom, then wore the pants for half hour.  no problem; bugs gone.  repeat in a week.  all clear.  certainly a home  remedy, useful in a developing country, that works.  BTW, possibly these lice are easily gotten from 'working girls'.  curuously, later i found some lurcking on my chest hairs!!  the chinese men never get the chest hair lice and no girls get them either.

Ruth

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 12:30:19 AM »
ting,  agagagagag for a truly creative and resourceful way of solving a problem.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

Acjade

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 12:57:08 AM »
Well instead of gasing the old fellow wth chemicals, try mayonnaise. Slather yourself in it and the little beasties can't move. Can't breed nor lay eggs. Of course you smell like a cross between an old sandwich and a decaying forest but it works.

Never had pubic lice but caught hair lice teaching. Awful hell. But I believe one of our dearest members had a chapter of his life devoted to these irritable infesations so you might want to refer to his experience if you have further developments.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 03:43:30 AM »
So, Ting. Do you burn your bedding and/ or your girlfriend?? aoaoaoaoao
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 06:12:32 AM »
An old remedy for pubic lice is simply kerosene. And no, it doesn't hurt you.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 10:33:20 AM »
I truncated some posts in this thread.
This is the Library, for Pete's sake. llllllllll
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 07:03:05 PM »
One common ailment I found, particularly in Northern China around spring time is dysentery.  Nasty thing, the first couple of times you get it but your body does build up some immunity to it after a time.  Feels like a nasty case of the flu; body aches, sniffling, sneezing, fever but also with diarrhea.  Can be deadly if not treated.  The treatment is usually a few days or more of daily drip injections of antibiotics.  After you've had it a few times it just seems like a nasty case of diarrhea that won't go away.  Pop down to the drug store pick up some Amoxycillin, take a double dose for about a week to ten days and it clears up nicely.  Any doctors out there may think I'm treating this very cavalierly but sometimes the local docs are not so good at giving good diagnoses and often just want to do many tests so they can make more money off of us while doing little to actually treat us.

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 10:01:33 PM »
I remember being a young'n back in Oz with an unfortunate case of head lice when I was in grade 2 aoaoaoaoao. Sent home in disgust, dumped in the bath and my father poured kero all over me qqqqqqqqqq, while praying he wouldn't light up!! Bastard.....

Anyway, having a not so nice case of sinus probs atm which I get regularly. If anyone's had it here, you will know the immense pain I speak of! Started not long after bed last night (bout 11), took a couple of ibprufen to break some of it up. Got sporadic sleep, took more this morning. Am feeling a tad better (after some good forceful sneezing) and just glad I'm on hols atm!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

babala

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 04:59:04 PM »
Guys may care to skip over this one (but you won't will ya? Nah you'll read it and then bitch that I wrote it  afafafafaf)

I have known several women/girls to get a vaginal infection. I've had it a few times. The doctor couldn't tell me what caused it (perhaps the water) but Chinese friends of mine have had trouble with it too. It goes between an itch and a slight burning. It is not a yeast infection. If you go the pharmacy, they have suppositories that take care of it in a few days. Do not ignore systems! If it is untreated then the systoms get much worse and the pain is beyond terrible.
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson