• 1 replies

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
COVID19 Visa Situation & Updates
« on: May 23, 2020, 04:32:49 AM »
This mostly applies to big cities so your mileage might vary:

It’s now coming on two months since the 60-day visa extension policy was announced, that also means the initial automatic extension is due to expire soon for many, leading to confusion and anxiety as visa holders scramble to secure flights out of China before the expiration date.

Here are some options:

What can I do if my visa extension is about to run out?

Due to the blanket restrictions on issuing visas, visa extensions per se are not permitted. However, some foreigners have been able to obtain a 30-day stay permit, which is affixed into the passport and grants the holder legal right to remain in, or exit China, before its expiration. It is suggested that those wanting to apply for a stay permit do so seven days before their visa expires.

While it is certainly possible to be granted a stay permit, holders of soon-to-expire visas should not treat it as a sure thing. Rather, the permits are granted on a case-by-case basis according to necessity.

How can I apply for a stay permit?
In order to apply for a stay permit gather the following materials and bring them to the Entry and Exit Administration of the Public Security Bureau:

Your passport;
Your accommodation registration slip;
The standard visa/stay permit/residence permit application form;
A 3.5×5.3cm full-face photo with white background;
Any documents relevant to the reason you need the stay permit, including a letter explaining your circumstances (preferably in Chinese) as well as any related proof.
How will I know if the extension is approved?
The entry-exit officer will approve or deny your application on the spot. If approved, they will give you a date within seven working days on which you can return to pick up your passport.

How much will the stay permit cost?
Typically, a stay permit costs RMB 160. Payment is exchanged upon pickup.

Will I be able to renew my residence permit if it is expiring soon?
Yes. A residence permit is not technically a visa and therefore is not subject to extension restrictions. It should not be necessary for those staying in China on a residence permit to apply for a stay permit.

source:
https://www.thebeijinger.com/blog/2020/05/14/what-you-need-know-if-your-visa-extension-about-expire
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: COVID19 Visa Situation & Updates
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 07:24:34 PM »
One of my local acquaintances was considering letting his res. permit expire and paying a fine later.

I explained to him that although under normal circumstances, some places might let him off with a small fine for being a few days late, these are NOT normal circumstances.  Right now, rules are very likely to be enforced more . . . vigorously than usual.  Being late normally is taking at least some risk of having to leave and reapply for a new res permit.  Now, it's much more likely to result in a one-way trip out of the country and right now, access to visas for foreigners to enter is particularly difficult.

One of our oldest rules here at the Saloon is "Be legal or be gone!"  At the moment, I suggest not just getting renewal or extension applications in on time every time, but to get those in at least a week earlier than usual.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com