A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)

• 545 replies

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
Re: A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall...
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2008, 03:22:25 AM »
Pashley, why would they do that if the foreigner is perfectly legal?? Very strange....

The person I was quoting probably is not legal. I think he has been teaching with an F (business) visa obtained in Hong Kong. The F visa is supposed to require an invitation letter from a Chinese company that is doing business with you. Until recently, HK or Macau visa offices would happily issue them without that. Now, depending which report you believe, they either won't do that any more or won't issue them at all.

The school he is at, like many other relatively sleazy operations, cannot get residence permits for its teachers. Before a school can do that, they need to apply for and receive authorisation from SAFEA (State Administration for Foreign Experts). Straightforward (maybe even automatic?) for universities, but a hassle for private schools. I talked to one guy who went through the process; it took nearly two years and an amount of money in the 10s of thousands to get it through.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2008, 12:26:24 PM »
DS, this is Dalian. Was the cop trying to shake your school down? They have a reputation for that in this town.

« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2008, 01:53:44 PM »
Liaoning Normal University isn't a school I would think would be subject to a shake-down.  I actually work at Missouri State University which is part of LNU.  We will have our photocopies in our possession and the FAO on speed dial on our phones - which is who we were told to phone if this happened again.

I am just surprised as everything is usually 'cool' here.

Additional information just received from the Dean of our Uni.  He is slightly nickered off bfbfbfbfbf

Sorry to hear this. Would you please tell me which McDnalds and what time? I'll report it to the Municipal Government and Foreign Expert Bureau.If you find youself in this kind of situation next time call me at xxxxx or **(the 'party' head, Assoc Dean) at xxxxx. We'll be there ASAP.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 03:01:25 PM by dragonsaver »
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2008, 04:47:25 PM »
RD, I am retiring from teaching or work in general for a while  agagagagag I will be coming back to my professional life next year, either after Spring Festival, or fresh in September :-) I am not planning on leaving China to renew my passport or visa. Neither my husband as he has a proper Z visa. I am just going to get dependent's visa based on his existant.

« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2008, 06:14:50 PM »
Cheeky, aren't you on a Z visa now?

« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2008, 10:13:27 PM »
Well, it is expiring and since I am not going to work as I have mentioned twice already, I won't be getting a Z visa. :-)

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2008, 08:36:24 AM »
And in that case ya won't need one, tastycakes. agagagagag

I fear the phenomenon of people working here on a 3- or 6-month F or L visa is on the verge of becoming extinct. Probably forever; I again see no reason whatsoever to think all this will end after Los Olimpicos.

If this is you, you need to be making different plans...either changing jobs, or leaving China. aoaoaoaoao
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2008, 07:20:31 PM »
And in that case ya won't need one, tastycakes. agagagagag

I fear the phenomenon of people working here on a 3- or 6-month F or L visa is on the verge of becoming extinct. Probably forever; I again see no reason whatsoever to think all this will end after Los Olimpicos.

If this is you, you need to be making different plans...either changing jobs, or leaving China. aoaoaoaoao

How about: they still have use for us?
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2008, 08:53:50 PM »
Con, they may stil have use for the FT's but they are just going to tighten the rules. Those FT's who can go home, apply for and get a proper 1 year Z visa should have no trouble coming back.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

AMonk

« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2008, 11:25:55 PM »
Separating the wheat from the chaff.....not just FTs, but also schools.  Might be good for all.  Smaller available supply of FTs = higher salaries ??
Moderation....in most things...

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2008, 12:14:14 AM »
Definitely the schools, too. A lot of people have been making money that are not, well, you know...the right  people. ZILLIONS of private training centers have been- usually completely without our knowledge- buying permit-issuing licenses from other companies. The fine print in our "official" contracts, and our work permits, have often said things like "network developer" or "electronics engineer" and so forth...George's work permit actually lists him, in Chinese, as a "crack whore"! ahahahahah

Up til now the cops have been looking the other way at this. 'Fraid we can't count on that any more... aoaoaoaoao
So...a lot of those private schools are going to be totally desperate for foreign teachers...or go out of business altogether.

And, I'm afraid...a chilling thought...
Up until now, the schools here have had considerable ability to use their visa sponsorship as a weapon/bargaining trump card against us.
Just imagine  what it's going to be like now that our visa options are much more limited... aoaoaoaoao bibibibibi llllllllll bqbqbqbqbq apapapapap eeeeeeeeee vvvvvvvvvv
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2008, 12:32:00 AM »
So really our best options are to have a 'proper' job with a gov't school?  Freelancing could end up being very dodgy???

« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2008, 12:39:48 AM »
I can see how many people's lives will suffer from these new rules but, in the greater picture, is it not likely that this will improve the quality and standards in this, as have so often been pointed out, flawed educational system?
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Acjade

« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2008, 01:02:36 AM »
Not all if you're with the right government department. It's likely the other way in fact. Those on faux diplomas in govt.institutions will get a retro viza right quick.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2008, 01:12:43 AM »
I can see how many people's lives will suffer from these new rules but, in the greater picture, is it not likely that this will improve the quality and standards in this, as have so often been pointed out, flawed educational system?

We can hope so.  I found it interesting that this year at the debate tournament there were more FTs as coaches of teams, indicating to me that there are maybe more teachers out there now willing to get involved with the students in more than just a classroom situation.  Those teachers I think are at least trying to increase the quality and standards of the education system.  I hope those teachers institutions have the right systems in place for visa renewal.