Crime in China

• 19 replies
Crime in China
« on: June 11, 2015, 09:00:59 PM »
What do we know exists?

Serial murder. As far as I know it hardly ever makes the news, but it definitely exists. Time had an article about it some years ago wherein I discovered my own town had birthed a killer of prostitutes. He lived with his mother and was under surveillance. Something tipped him off and he fled. That is, he moved four hours down the train track and started up killing again. The relevant police departments didn't share files.

Drugs - trafficking and dealing. This certainly exists because south-east asia, but also because precursor drugs are so easy to manufacture and/or acquire in bulk here. Methamphetamine is becoming popular. Ketamine has been popular. Ecstasy, I'm informed, is a city drug.

Forgery - of materials, medicines, devices, you name it.

Armed robbery seems rare, although there was that ex-police guy who was bumping people off at ATMs. How about bank jobs? Jewel theft? Art works?

Prostitution. Natch.

Seems like there's been a rash of teacher as predator articles lately. In the last week or so some teacher was executed for molesting children.

Corruption at various levels and of various kinds.

Car theft? Traffic offences? Vehicular homicide?

Property offences seem rare. I've seldom seen graffiti.

Blowing things up?

I've started wondering because turns out, China is the new thriller location.

A license to thrill? Spy novelists hit pay dirt in China
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Re: Crime in China
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 09:23:34 PM »
Human trafficking and gun running too. The trafficking I don't know much about. Something about stealing and selling children. The gun running has to do with China providing ports of opportunity. Lax customs inspection make transshipping easier here.

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 03:21:23 AM »
And that's it?

China's about set to become a location in which stories are told. And if it turns out the dump really is as bland as official narratives require, then Transformers was the best of them already.

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 03:23:07 AM »
just had my 1st child a few days ago (birth, not molestation you perverts!) and the doctor said keep awake all night in case someone comes in and steals your baby, they may be wearing the hospital uniform!

doesn't inspire confidence.....

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 04:13:55 AM »
Congratulations! Boy or girl?

And what an astonishingly unprofessional doctor comment! Was it a legit warning or "sense of humor"?

eggcluck

• Still standing
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 02:21:58 PM »
Organised crime is present for sure, as well as the kidnapping of young girls and mutilation of people for begging gangs.

But it is all probably the dirty foreigners fault.
Still standing

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 02:38:04 PM »
I'm sure there's lots of crime in the right places in China. However...

Here in rural Henan, in the village next to campus, shop keepers will leave palates of goods (beer) unguarded outside on the 'sidewalk' at night covered with just a tarp. In Canada, I can't imagine 1000s of bottles of beer, left in a similar situation lasting for more than two minutes before it was stolen!

My uni students seem to have an almost Leave It To Beaver/Pleasantville-like innocence. I can't be sure, but I'd bet less than 1% have ever even seen a joint... much less done any drugs (other than nicotine & alcohol).
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 03:17:13 PM »
In any given year across China, the number of graduating students is something less than 10 million. (I tried looking up stats - couldn't find anything too helpful.) So, there's a lot of them, but there're a lot more people outside this system. Even if their demeanor didn't give them away, number alone mean university students are the prey rather than the predators. Outside of school, there's a whole other world. (I say this not to prove a point - it's just an impression I get constantly, about how kind of airless my experience of "Chinese people" is if I stay only on campus.)

Story time: a girl I knew once did her teaching practice at a local middle school. Seniors had to do some kid of work experience to complete their degrees, and most of them did that. A teacher there - that is, a middle school "teacher", either an actual teacher or a member of the administration - said "if you want to make some extra money...." Turns out he was recruiting for a "tea house". The job was, sit downstairs and chat with the fellows who came in. Oh sure, upstairs there are small rooms with beds, but that's something else entirely....

There's something to the students' fear of "the social". All of them have it, or they used to. They used to talk about "going to society" as some fearful rite of passage.

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 07:01:06 PM »
China in 'record seizure' of illegal guns and knives

Police in China have seized tens of thousands of illegal guns and knives, in what state media say is the largest-ever haul of its kind.

More than 10,000 guns and 120,000 knives were confiscated after a four-month investigation, reports said.

Fifteen people suspected of belonging to a criminal network were arrested.

The police started investigating after a suspect in an armed robbery in Guiyang city in Guizhou province told them about his supplier, reports said.

The gang's distribution network for the weapons included at least 27 provinces, state media said...

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 07:07:22 PM »
Other kinds of crime in China:

Domestic violence - the All-China Women's Federation say 30% of women experience it.

Extortion/protection - possibly the most common low level criminal racket in China?

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 12:08:05 AM »
The same crimes that exist everywhere else in the world exists in China.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 12:22:42 AM »
Such claims are inappropriate, irresponsible and inflammatory. Comparing China's peaceful characteristics without reason to other conditions will not bear scrutiny. Scientific development creates progress, prosperity, and above all, regional peace. Relevant individuals must make sincere apologies.

AMonk

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 12:40:53 PM »
Relevant individuals must make sincere apologies.

cccccccccc
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 05:29:06 PM »
Also, Dun-dun-DUUUNN!...

terrorism

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 05:34:39 PM »
Alsealso, it occurs to me, "crime" and "criminal" are legal terms. There are any number of political crimes available for prosecution, for instance. Which kind of seems different to what I was looking for.