'Tis the season for...

• 3 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
'Tis the season for...
« on: October 28, 2008, 06:08:52 PM »
yang rou pao mo!  Autumn is definitely here now and yang/niu/yu rou pao mo has the same heartening, heart-warming, stick to your ribs, 'mum's cooking' feeling as a really good Irish stew.  Great to come back after an early start and have it served up for lunch.

Even the traditions surrounding the eating of it are interesting.

Love it!

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
Re: 'Tis the season for...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 07:06:58 PM »

moroccan snail soup..
I so want some right now to help clear my nostrils and warm my bones.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 05:08:27 PM »

I once ate a delicious bowl, Lotus, when visiting Xi'an during the summer. BIG mistake. One bowl is a heavy thing and I walked around the city all day feeling like I ate ten thousand bowls of wet towels*! It's a filling meal.

*Not in taste, but in how one moderate sized bowl of vermicelli noodles, bread bits, lamb and some garlic and chili felt once it was consumed with vigor.
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 07:31:32 AM »
It's a Muslim dish, traditionally eaten for breakfast.  'Real' pao mo shops will close around 2:00pm, because it would not generally be eaten after that time.  This is because in many areas, it has been hard for Muslims to find halal dishes while they were working.  So workers would fill up on this and then not eat again until they came home at night. My local pao mo shop knows my order and when I walk in the laoban just calls out the order "yi fenr, yige mo, gan ba'.  I watch in amazement as fellas order 3 mo in their bowls.  It would take me all day to eat that much. aoaoaoaoao

Also a great time of year for hotpot and kao rou.  The spicier the kao rou the better, eaten with equally spicy naan bread.

Autumn/winter is a great time for food here. akakakakak