A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)

• 545 replies
Re: A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)
« Reply #330 on: August 22, 2008, 10:15:20 PM »
My father-in-law is 63 and he's worked at a uni here in Zhuhai from March till end of June. He left China but the uni wrote to him asking to come back. They didn't have problems with his visa and when he comes here next week they won't have getting him another one. Perhaps it depends on schools and their connections and on how valuable for the teacher they want to hire is.

« Reply #331 on: August 23, 2008, 08:22:03 PM »
Just got back from the Chicago Consulate and everything went well. My only complaint is that it took about an hour longer than they initially told me to process the visa. I actually had a better experience there than I did at the DMV when I got my driver's license renewed last month.

danbo

« Reply #332 on: August 27, 2008, 04:41:52 AM »
Hi guys,

I don't know if my question is answered somewhere above (and there's a lot to read through!)

I'm currently in Bangkok where I teach at a uni, and have been offered what seems to be a peach of a uni job in Chanchun.

Only concern is that my prospective employer doesn't know whether I'd be able to get a Z visa here in Thailand (as the authorities have apparently got tough , and won't ease off till the end of 'olympic period' which is apparently a week or so after I need my Visa.

Going back to the UK ain't really an option as I' d be working here right up till I need to go.

Sorry, rambling post, but any advice would be much appreciated.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #333 on: August 27, 2008, 04:56:44 AM »
I think maybe contact the Chinese Consulate in Bangkok and ask. I think that it should be OK, though.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

danbo

« Reply #334 on: August 27, 2008, 05:14:08 AM »
Thanks for answering - I'll be on the dog and bone to the consulate tomorrow morning. Hope it's ok!

Just done a bit of googling and it did seem that one had to go back to one's own country.

Still, a lot of old shite is of course spouted on the internet!

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #335 on: August 27, 2008, 10:18:54 AM »
You should be able to do it in Bangkok no problem. Might be different if you were a Thai citizen...but asking is ALWAYS the best advice. I'm being told mid-September as the earliest possible date for some visa relaxation.

For your offer...if you'd like, you can post the offer details (maybe in the teaching section somewhere) and we will opine upon its peachitude...help spot problems or pitfalls.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

danbo

« Reply #336 on: August 27, 2008, 01:58:12 PM »

For your offer...if you'd like, you can post the offer details (maybe in the teaching section somewhere) and we will opine upon its peachitude...help spot problems or pitfalls.

That's a good idea. Off to look for the right subforum. Cheers!

danbo

« Reply #337 on: August 27, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »
Just got this email from one prospective employer.

Is what she says true, with regards to converting tourist visa, or should I be wary?

Hello:
Good morning :
It doesn't matter . You can apply tourist visa first(for a month ) . We will change your visa to working visa when you arrive there  . Don't worry about it . We must sign contract first before you coming .
Any questions ?
I must know your plan first ,Because we prepare a apartment for you before you come .

Have a good day ,
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 03:19:51 PM by danbo »

danbo

« Reply #338 on: August 27, 2008, 03:08:54 PM »
Seen this advice, posted by Apple Group in Chengdu, in a job ad on dave's esl. I'm HELLA confused!

3) Changing your Visa In-Country It used to be possible to change a tourist or business visa into a work visa in country, which made it a lot less complicated to become employed here. However, this is NO LONGER POSSIBLE and work visas MUST be processed before arriving in China. Do not listen to any offer that tells you to come on a tourist visa and they will change it here, they are either getting you to work on an illegal visa or do not know the new policies and you are the person who will end up paying for it.(saying that, it may also be possible in some cases)

Monkey King

« Reply #339 on: August 27, 2008, 03:50:22 PM »
I'll answer this since I'm on.  'Apple Group' speak the truth.

Coming on a tourist visa and changing to a Z visa used to be fairly common practice, but in the current climate for FTs in China it is a very bad idea.

If a school is asking you to come on a tourist visa these days it is likely a sign that they do not really have their shit together, are desperate for teachers, or in the worst case may not actually be able to get you a working visa at all and are attemtping to lure you out here to work illegally.

Beware.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #340 on: August 27, 2008, 05:24:14 PM »
And I know someone who did come on a tourist visa without a job waiting, found a job in a couple of weeks, and got it changed to a z all legal like. This was in Nanning.

Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Monkey King

« Reply #341 on: August 28, 2008, 02:56:35 AM »
Yeah. It's not supposed to be allowed anymore, but...

Quote from: 'Apple Group'
it may also be possible in some cases

...this is a very big country in a very fluid situation.  Most of the advice available at the moment seems to be leaning towards 'get a Z before you come', but with the you know whats over with, who knows how long that will remain true?

« Reply #342 on: August 28, 2008, 04:20:01 AM »
Re: Macao. If you have a residency in China but you are among the countries whose residents need a visa to Macao, now they give you a one month multiple-entry visa. Before it used to be only a single entry so you would end up paying 100RMB each time you decided to go to Macao. I was very happy to get it today.  agagagagag

BrandeX

« Reply #343 on: August 28, 2008, 04:23:31 AM »
Two weeks ago I did an interview at a local training center. They said that I could get a Z visa working for them (were actually trying to be a somewhat legit biz heh) but I would absolutely have to return to my home country for it to be issued.  Maybe they didn't have any guangxi to do it another way.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #344 on: September 07, 2008, 03:18:43 PM »
Maybe more restrictions coming? This article says China is going to start requiring a certificate from your home country that you do not have a criminal record:

http://www.china-briefing.com/news/2008/08/28/criminal-record-certificates-to-be-required-for-china-work-visas.html
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?