One screen, two functions?

• 5 replies

ting

One screen, two functions?
« on: June 20, 2010, 03:16:47 PM »
I need to buy a TV and a computer monitor. One nice big flat screen to serve both needs would be ideal.  Is that possible these days?  Not needing to view computer and TV at same time. Can i hook a flat screen to a TV device and a computer and use as wanted?  Any brand recommended?

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
Re: One screen, two functions?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 04:28:33 PM »
I need to buy a TV and a computer monitor. One nice big flat screen to serve both needs would be ideal.  Is that possible these days?  Not needing to view computer and TV at same time. Can i hook a flat screen to a TV device and a computer and use as wanted?  Any brand recommended?

Yes, many monitors now have two connectors so you can hook computer to one & DVD or whatever to the other. Not all give you a TV tuner, though. You may need to get that separately unless you choose a TV with it built in.

Samsung are good. LG and Chinese brands likely cheaper, probably fine.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 01:02:55 AM »
Yes, it's definitely possible.

Samsung and LG are indeed both good brands...and so is Sony. Also like some of the new Sharp models...going from 3-color pixels (RGB) to 4-color pixels (RGBY) reportedly adds millions of new color possibilities. bfbfbfbfbf
My new TV is a Vizio, a brand that seems to offer decent performance at a lower price than the others.

And learn to shop aggressively on eBay. The prices I got on my flat-screen HDTV and my laptop will make you weep with envy. uuuuuuuuuu agagagagag axaxaxaxax
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:09:07 AM by Raoul Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

ting

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 05:58:12 PM »
Thanks, both.  But sorry Duke, no ebay for me.  I am moving to Hong Kong, near the countryside park, soon to enjoy the partial chinese life. The part of china i don't like will stay here, Hebei. Although just today i did read that the long arm of the china propaganda and censor authority has forbidden the Hong Kong publication of a certain  book, which contradicts the 'red party line'. Ah well, in HK there are other things i can read.

I'll try to find a cheap screen. I have a friend who works for Konka (in shenzhen), maybe he can find me a 'demo'!!

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 08:13:53 PM »
Ah...I really envy you, Ting. I LOVE Hong Kong and would go there like a shot if I could find a real job there. ananananan
And you won't have any shortage of electronics bargains there... bfbfbfbfbf
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 08:32:03 PM »
Although just today i did read that the long arm of the china propaganda and censor authority has forbidden the Hong Kong publication of a certain  book, which contradicts the 'red party line'.

That's not my experience. I've found a number of books in HK that are banned here; some were HK bestsellers. However, for all I know, that may be changing. Beyond doubt, Beijing would like it to.

I'll try to find a cheap screen.

Screens are one of the things it is often worth spending a bit extra on. Looking for bargains in clothing often makes sense; much less often for shoes because getting comfortable ones is essential. Your feet will thank you, especially if you walk a lot. Looking for bargains on computers is fine, but get a good screen. Your eyes will thank you, especially ...

Also, get lots of RAM; that affects performance more than a faster CPU. I think the last time I owned a machine that did not have the maximum RAM the board would take was mid-90s.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?