Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #825 on: September 26, 2008, 06:35:08 AM »
FINALLY saw the new Indiana Jones movie. I've seen it for it for sale at a a million plaes, but every time I try to buy it, the laoban kindly informs me it doesn't work. How Chinese. Display ten copies of something that you KNOW doesn't work and tell people that while it is on their shelves, you shouldn't buy it.

Anyways, I finally decided to just download it and it was actually pretty good. The two Raiders of the Lost Ark sequels were not that great, and frankly, Temple of Doom outright sucked.

I liked Harrison Ford's self depricating performance of Indiana Jones as an old man. I liked the reintroduction of Karen Allen. I liked seeing Indie as a parent. Kate Winslet was a great villain. Bottom line...it was a fun movie. Not great by any means, but I had a good time watching it.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #826 on: September 26, 2008, 08:05:06 AM »
I'm watching the 11 seasons of M*A*SH and the more I watch the more respect I have for it as a series.  It's actually GOOD!

And apart from all of the issues it introduces, the change in acceptable female shapes in that short time is incredible.  Hot Lips is so much bigger than the Callista Flockharts, Kate Moss' of today - but my god does she look REAL!

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #827 on: September 26, 2008, 08:21:52 AM »
And apart from all of the issues it introduces, the change in acceptable female shapes in that short time is incredible.  Hot Lips is so much bigger than the Callista Flockharts, Kate Moss' of today - but my god does she look REAL!

Sally Kellerman was the 'hotter' Hot Lips, in my opinion. Loretta Switt had the acting chops to fill the role, but Ms. Kellerman was nicer on the eyes. It is ironic that the series ran longer than the actual Korean war.
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

George

• My view of China
« Reply #828 on: September 26, 2008, 09:49:22 AM »
Wasn't Sally Kellerman, "Hot Lips" only in the film, not the TV series? I think "Radar" was the only film cast member to translate over into the series.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #829 on: September 26, 2008, 12:30:05 PM »

That's correct, George.
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

« Reply #830 on: September 30, 2008, 01:45:40 PM »
No, Spaghetti, that is a righ reaction. Der Leben Des Anderen is a very sad movie. That scene in the lift where this non-descript looking chap talks with the child whose father has some controversial opinions and then asks the innocent question, "So, where does your father work?" sent chills down my spine. It is an amazing movie.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #831 on: September 30, 2008, 08:19:21 PM »
That is a great movie!!!  bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf
"All young people need somebody bad to look up to and I hope I can be that for you tonight. "

John Waters

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #832 on: October 01, 2008, 08:16:56 AM »
I just treated myself to a DVD boxed set of 23 Werner Herzog films. It was supposed to be 24, but somehow the pirates included a film by Patrice Lacomte in the mix.
Haruki Murakami

« Reply #833 on: October 01, 2008, 11:47:19 AM »
I really need to see more of his stuff.  Did you find that in China?  Why did I never find that kind of treat in China...

I've only seen Rescue Dawn and Aguirre, but they are both top notch.
It is too early to say.

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #834 on: October 01, 2008, 10:27:50 PM »
Yeah, I found the set in China. Definitely a China-only thing, mixing in rips of UK, Dutch, German and American DVDs of Herzog's work. Not a complete overview, but most of his significant feature work is featured within it. It joins my Tinto Brass "collection"* boxed set, and soon enough I'll grab the Ingmar Bergman, Luc Besson and Takeshi Kitano boxed sets that are ubiquitous around these parts (midwest China). I also have my eyes on the 29 disc Benny Hill set I glanced at, in my favorite shop.

Many of these sets come in two versions: the high quality single disc-single film versions, which run about 100RMB for sets with 20 discs, and 70RMB for sets with a dozen discs, and the poor quality, "load up six films on two DVDs" sets, which are only really 1/2-1/3 of the price**, but 1/8th of the quality.

*The Tinto Brass set features all of his feature films except Mon Amour, which I had to purchase separately for 6rmb.

**30-40RMB, but just about the worst looking DVDs on the planet.
Haruki Murakami

« Reply #835 on: October 01, 2008, 11:39:40 PM »
Haven't bought anything new these day but thats cause I have ST-New Generation and youku at my disposal. Catching up with Eureka, Gossip girl, SG: Atlantis and Heroes  agagagagag

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #836 on: October 02, 2008, 02:31:24 AM »
Haven't bought anything new these day but thats cause I have ST-New Generation and youku at my disposal. Catching up with Eureka, Gossip girl, SG: Atlantis and Heroes  agagagagag

Cheeky,

If you download TVU you can watch the sci-Fi Channel from America. It's really up your alley. TVU is free and isn't full of viruses. Sometimes the Sci fi stream is better than youku streams. You appear to have the time, so you might find yourself spending days watching the Sci-Fi channel. afafafafaf

I'm not big on science fiction, but the Star Gate and Eureka programs are sci-fi "original" productions, and first run.
Haruki Murakami

« Reply #837 on: October 02, 2008, 05:21:16 AM »
Well, I did. And the only Sci-Fi they had available was some old stuff with really weird movies :) Anyway, I like youku. It gives me enough to waste time when I have it  afafafafaf

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #838 on: October 02, 2008, 06:37:36 AM »
Cheeky, that's not true. Maybe you missed it, but the Sci-Fi Channel is streamed there. Look for, "sci fi" and it's the Sci-Fi Channel. It's the Sci-Fi Channel America and it is the producer of the Stargate & Eureka series. If I can get it on shitty China Netcom, then you should be able to get it on TVU down in Zuhai.

I think you either missed it, or ignored it, but it's there. For sure. Channel 10135 on TVU, and it's streaming  24-7, even through infomercials.
I am double checking and the stream looks very good on my 24 inch, widescreen monitor. It is showing a program from 2007. Not very old. Check the Sci-Fi Channel (US) web page for listings. Remember that the U. S. is 12 - 13 hours behind China*.

* U. S., Eastern Standard time.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 07:30:57 AM by Spaghetti »
Haruki Murakami

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #839 on: October 09, 2008, 05:55:38 AM »
My Neighbour Totoro - one of the Studio Ghibli animations.  Just introduced it to my CCTV student (she is staying overnight and we can't practice all night!!).  Studio Ghibli do some of the best Japanese animations around.  When I was in Tokyo I went to the Studio Ghibli museum - have to book ahead it is so popular.  Lovely place!!  fascinating to see how they make the animations.