Linking to Commercial Sites & Commercial Policy In General

• 0 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Linking to Commercial Sites & Commercial Policy In General
« on: August 03, 2007, 05:56:27 AM »
There's been a bit of confusion about this lately, so let me see if I can help clear things up.

This website is completely non-commercial. I (Raoul) do not make ANY money from this place whatsoever. Nor will I allow anyone else to do so. This will always be true, long as I have the strength to reach a networked keyboard.

You cannot run ads here. You CAN post a job ad here, free of charge, but it must be submitted to me for checking rather than being posted directly. You cannot in any way, shape, or form pimp your TESOL certificate school, recruiting services, voracious chain English mill, or other business here...especially  if it's related to EFL.

Most of the EFL/expat internet is a whorehouse for those businesses that want to make money off of EFL teachers and other expats. They gladly give up their editorial freedom to make a buck.
We're different. We are beholden to no one. We say what we think about this industry.

However, under some circumstances you can post a link to a commercial site. How do you know when it's OK? Here's the acid test:

You CAN NOT post a link to a site for a business with which you are an owner, manager, employee, or other stakeholder, and from which you stand to net some form of personal gain.

You CAN post a link to a commercial site if you have no stake in the business, feel our readers might benefit from their products and services, and are doing so purely out of the goodness of your own heart. For example, posting a link to good quality expat medical insurance, or to a travel agency that gives good airfares to and from China, is not just acceptable...it's wonderful.

If any questions remain regarding this policy, please feel free to send me a PM or an e-mail.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)