• 4 replies

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
Retire in Italy with 1 Euro houses?
« on: May 21, 2020, 05:46:43 AM »
just for fun, why not?

Even through the covid19 disaster, people are having positive experiences with their 1 euro houses.
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/one-euro-house-italy-coronavirus/index.html
 :alcoholic: :alcoholic:

Oh, it's totally worth it going from the land of noodles to the land of pasta
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Re: Retire in Italy with 1 Euro houses?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 08:58:56 AM »
I would.

Assuming (a) at least 20M internet and (b) renovation being actually feasible on a budget, I reckon yes, I would go and live like that.

A while back I had a thing were I was looking at renovation videos. I forget how I got onto it, but it might have been off the back of tiny house videos... renovation is super-not easy nor does it look cheap. If neighbours could cope with me basically camping in the house for, I don't want to say 2-3 years but.....

bibibibibi
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 01:29:16 PM »
I happen to be in Sicily now so i can answer most questions..

with the 1E houses, you're looking at about 15K in renovations over 3 to 5 year depending on the one you pick. They tend to also have a few places around the 5K price point that are cheaper in the long run and better equiped.
Internet actually works.. it works... that alone has been worth the move.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 07:15:29 AM »
I happen to be in Sicily now so i can answer most questions..

with the 1E houses, you're looking at about 15K in renovations over 3 to 5 year depending on the one you pick. They tend to also have a few places around the 5K price point that are cheaper in the long run and better equiped.
Internet actually works.. it works... that alone has been worth the move.

I could manage 5k Euro to renovate a place. The lottery aspect of it, not being able to take much of a close look at the places first, that could be problematic. The question of neighbourhood and neighbours.

I saw on some articles that kinda you really only get to pay 1 Euro for the place if no one else is in the running. If other people express interest, it goes to the highest bidder. From that Sambuca document, it looks like auction prices can end up in the thousands of euros

Helluva an idea though. A small, renovated, old house in Italy. Would be cool