Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1005 on: January 20, 2009, 10:14:17 PM »
The Wrestler starring Mickey Rourke.  HE's all 'roided up for the part, and you won't even recognise him, but the acting is amazing, and the story is great.  He was nominated for a Golden Globe, and should be a serious contender for an Oscar.  This is worth seeing, folks.  bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #1006 on: January 21, 2009, 07:45:30 PM »
Oh, I agree, Guy Ritchie makes films about shallow coolth, but they're fun with the word play and the pretty clothes and a very British macho.  RocknRolla too is very nearly philosophical in its insistence that shallowness as depth is deep.  The Guyster is like an antidote to the very maudlin Britishness one can find in any period drama or The Bill

There's a bit of a tradition of grubby, flashy trash in British film and writing, isn't there?  James Bond is a character out of that tradition, innit?

With RocknRolla, Guy has polished the turd to a high and gleaming gloss and added tassels and guns and Russians.  John le Carre might bemoan the lack of a worldview, but might not turn up his nose at the grubby glitter.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #1007 on: January 22, 2009, 01:52:48 PM »
The Wrestler starring Mickey Rourke.  HE's all 'roided up for the part, and you won't even recognise him, but the acting is amazing, and the story is great.  He was nominated for a Golden Globe, and should be a serious contender for an Oscar.  This is worth seeing, folks.  bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf
I agree.Saw this last week.I came away feeling very sad for this guy.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #1008 on: January 26, 2009, 06:49:31 PM »
I did something tonight I haven't done in about 8 years: I went out and saw a movie in a movie theatre. Reminded me that there's just nothing like the big screen... bfbfbfbfbf

I saw Frost/Nixon and strongly recommend it. Frank Langella's Nixon is absolutely spellbinding...one of the greatest performances I've ever seen on film.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

joe

« Reply #1009 on: January 27, 2009, 11:11:10 AM »
Does TV fit into this thread? If so, has anyone seen the BBC series 'Wild China'?
Amazing footage...not sure if you can access this from outside of UK (some youtube channels are country specific) but here's a playlist of clips from it:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0_sZivnINM&feature=PlayList&p=3E84C315F0719C46&index=0&playnext=1

If you can't quite place the narrators voice, it's King Theoden from Lord of the Rings (Bernard Hill)!

Definately worth getting hold of this DVD if you haven't seen the series!

« Reply #1010 on: January 27, 2009, 06:09:11 PM »
Saw Clint Eastwood star in "Gran Torino".He stars as "an iron willed and inflexible Korean War veteran,living in a changing world,who is forced by his immigrant neighbours to confront his own long held prejudices" As an older person who grew up in a small country town, I could relate to his feelings;it may be harder for younger folk to do that.
I'd be interested to hear what others thought of it.

« Reply #1011 on: January 30, 2009, 12:44:41 AM »
Does TV fit into this thread? If so, has anyone seen the BBC series 'Wild China'?
Amazing footage...not sure if you can access this from outside of UK (some youtube channels are country specific) but here's a playlist of clips from it:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0_sZivnINM&feature=PlayList&p=3E84C315F0719C46&index=0&playnext=1

If you can't quite place the narrators voice, it's King Theoden from Lord of the Rings (Bernard Hill)!

Definately worth getting hold of this DVD if you haven't seen the series!

For some reason, I found that uk youtube links didn't work in China.

However, you can find them in China just by googling for the reference number from the youtube link.
It is too early to say.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1012 on: January 30, 2009, 09:39:41 AM »
Anything that may remotely reflect on the Chinese gov't doesn't load in youtube. One of my best mates is a T'tan film maker and I can't look at anything of his on youtube - or for my favourite T'tan orphanage.

llllllllll llllllllll llllllllll llllllllll llllllllll llllllllll

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1013 on: January 31, 2009, 03:37:43 AM »
Just finished watching "The No 1 ladies' Detective Agency', a BBC production based on the books.  It was lovely!!  Interesting Botswanan scenery, African music and well acted.

« Reply #1014 on: February 02, 2009, 07:54:19 AM »
The Man From Earth

Very, very talky--one group of people in one room with big ideas--great stuff!
And because of Tony Todd, just a tiny, tiny, tiny bit reminiscent of Night of The Living Dead

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1015 on: February 02, 2009, 10:20:41 AM »
Gran Torino

I can't tell.  It's either charming or it's corrosively ugly.  It's both?
The language is hilarious.

What did you all think?

bfbfbfbfbf ananananan kkkkkkkkkk

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1016 on: February 02, 2009, 01:11:30 PM »
The Man From Earth was a surprise. I'd never heard of it and watched it a few months ago and thought it was great. I think the ending could have been different, leaving the viewer to decide.

I loved Gran Torino I'm a Clint fan though.

I can't tell.  It's either charming or it's corrosively ugly.  It's both?

Both I think and it's what made it great.

The best movies I've seen recently are

Slumdog Millionaire
Milk
Frost/Nixon

Especially Frost/Nixon.

joe

« Reply #1017 on: February 02, 2009, 01:31:52 PM »
Just watched Gran Torino. It was awful, almost unwatchable. This was mainly due to the acting. Clint was better when he didn't speak, and the kids they've got in it are worse.

Anyone seen Seven Pounds? Or The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas? Great films, definitely worth checking out!

« Reply #1018 on: February 03, 2009, 12:00:49 AM »
Well, see, I recongise the kids.  They both played characters that I've come across in real life, particularly the girl.  What looked like shit acting was what a friend of mine actually does in real life.

Clint was a puzzle.  His character was either inconsistent or someone I've never met before.  Sometimes he was past-oriented and made of clay, and other times he was future-oriented and thoughtful.

The real question for me is: all that stilted acting, was it true to a particular kind of life, or was it stilted acting?

Because if it was stilted acting, then the storyline is unreal too--made of reality and writer's bandaids.

Closure, closure, closure--weird feeling of no closure--in which case, maybe the uncomfortably unclosed loose end sense of it all really is teh realz.  That's why I called it maybe ugly.  Base.  Coarse.  Too real.

« Reply #1019 on: February 03, 2009, 02:34:43 AM »
3 episodes into Madmen, and falling in love.  akakakakak
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com