Help Please - to you ladies out there - Advice on XMas present for my wife

• 14 replies
He he .... I waited until the last minute .... any advice on what to buy my wife (she is Chinese if that matters) for XMas?

YK
"A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for."  Grace Hopper

"Procrastination: Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now." Larry Kersten

Ruth

Re: Help Please - to you ladies out there - Advice on XMas present for my wife
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 05:00:14 PM »
Forgive me; I can't remember if you're in China or not.  If in China, do you have a Watson's nearby?  They're good for lots of beauty products.  Feminine stuff she might not spend the money on to buy for herself - bubble bath, moisturizers, perfume...  Depends on what she likes.  I always enjoy receiving books, but I'm a reader.  DVDs of Christmas movies.  Munchies make good stocking stuffers - again, depends what she likes: chocolate, other candy, peanuts,...  A gift for both of you - lingerie  afafafafaf  If money is an issue, coupons for future favors (bedroom favors  afafafafaf, or more mundane like washing the dishes, painting the living room, a trip to the zoo).  If you are good at matching sizes, colors and styles - new clothes like a sweater or blouse.  My dad always copped out of this one.  He gave my mom money and told her to go buy what she liked.

So subjective.  Without knowing your wife it's really difficult.  I like to receive new stuff for the kitchen, but my former sister-in-law would have killed my brother if she received a gift for the 'house'.  Had to be just for her.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 05:46:07 PM »
Easiest thing since you're in Shenzhen, buy perfume (the real kind, not the tons of fakes floating around the city) and take her out for dinner at Focaccino (I assume the one at Coastal City is still open).
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 06:52:02 PM »
Ouch ....

A new husband?  One who KNOWS her, her interests and what she would love, and who plans ahead??  Preferrable young, handsome .... afafafafaf afafafafaf

ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah

I like to think that I am such a great husband that she already has everything she could want .... he he .... and here is the problem

1) she does not wear jewelry except for her wedding ring (even though she has other semi-decent pieces)
2) she has 3 or 4 bottles of perfume and doesn't use them (we have a 10 month old baby)
3) she is relatively small so buying clothes for her never works
4) she has membership at the local yoga gym
5) she does shop at the local watson's as well as the local department stores and buys some horribly expensive soaps already (I still don't know who taught her about those soaps ... she sure did not find out from her home town friends in Hubei) .... I have my suspicions that a friend's Hubei wife was involved!

<sigh>

Maybe a day at a local spa ....

We live in Shenzhe by the way ....

YK
"A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for."  Grace Hopper

"Procrastination: Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now." Larry Kersten

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 07:22:01 PM »
Amazon has the Nikon d90 + the 18-200mm VRII lens for $1333 shipped...

Too late for the 25th, but it'd be a nice personal gift for yerselfs & next year can give pictures  ababababab

or...
I'm sure she'd love a new car...  ahahahahah
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 07:52:13 PM »
I've got loads of great suggestions, but seeing as i haven't bought anything for my wife yet i need to keep the ideas for myself.

That's obviously a load of bull, its gonna be some last minute panic buys as usual, but i work well under pressure. bfbfbfbfbf
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 02:19:01 AM »
3) she is relatively small so buying clothes for her never works

A scarf or wrap is pretty much one-size-fits-all. Belts or leg-warmers are close to that. For a hat or purse, it might be harder to judge her taste, but size is not a huge issue.

Luggage? Anything from a good backpack to suitcases to a camera bag would work for some women.

Accessories for something? A tripod if she's into photography, a motorcycle helmet, good maps for someone who likes to travel, ...

Offer to take her shopping, even give her a certificate she can cash in for a luxurious lunch and an afternoon in a good shopping area?
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

old34

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 02:34:29 AM »

Luggage? Anything from a good backpack to suitcases to a camera bag would work for some women.

Especially, for Chinese women, if it's an LV.   ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah

Actually, the spa idea is what first occurred to me when I saw the original post. And you came up with it yourself, Yokie.  bfbfbfbfbf
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 02:38:20 AM »
Easy! Give her a nice, fat HongBao. agagagagag agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 04:06:53 AM »
I like giving scarves, as Pash suggests. Problem is, I did that for her birthday and before that last Christmas. This time around I'm thinking of taking her out shopping with me on the 26th to get her what she wants. Most liekly another sweater, but maybe a blouse. That's not an ideal Christmas, but at least I'll be spending some time with her, which is something I haven't done much of recently.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 04:07:38 AM »
Things to give if you don't want to worry about needing a gift for your wife next year.  qqqqqqqqqq

A mop
A bowling ball with your name on it
A book on how to overcome obesity

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 04:26:37 AM »
<caution, old Henny Youngman joke coming up/>
This year I think I' take her somewhere she's never been before. I think I'll show her the kitchen
</caution>

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 01:41:57 PM »

Yes, getting a cleaning lady would be wonderful. Who that would be a gift for is an open question.

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 02:49:04 PM »
How about organising for a professional photo session for the family - go get some nice portraits done of her, you & her & the little one. It's a fun couple of hours, lots of make-up and dressing up (for her) and you'll have some great pictures for the house and to send/give to family.
You have to care for it to matter.
http://www.haerbinger.com - All About Harbin

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 03:18:35 PM »
Pictures are not a bad idea.  Even though after the kid being 10 months old, we have a couple of thousand already ..... thank the lord for digital pictures and large hard-drives!