Drinking

• 22 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Drinking
« on: October 12, 2007, 10:06:33 AM »
I enjoy drinking.  Before I came to China my favourite tipples were champagne and red wine - and I probably indulged myself once or twice a week with 2 glasses of each.  Some Fridays I would join in 'wind down' times at work and drink 'girly' drinks - ie vodka cruisers.

Here I learned to drink beer and baijiu.

BUT .... now I have  new job, part of my job is "PUBLIC RELATIONS" - ie DRINKING!!!!! 

This has created for me an interesting phenomenon - because I HAVE to drink for work, I am finding it difficult to go out with my mates and drink for fun.  I keep thinking - I can't drink tonight because I know I have lunch or dinner tomorrow where I HAVE to drink.

I find the same thing is happening with eating - I don't want to go out to dinner with my friends because I have already had a banquet for lunch or I know I will be eating for clients at a stakeholders meeting tomorrow.

'Social" work is stuffing up my real social life!

I was discussing this with a mate, also in business as a foreigner, tonight - over vodka and beers! and we agreed that drinking can rapidly turn into hard work - and something that is a chore rather than a pleasure!!

George

• My view of China
Re: Drinking
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 11:13:47 AM »
AHA!!! Your new Boss has scored a PR coup! EVERY Company has a few cute staffmembers that go to important business lunches, whose job is to drink, and make sure the other side drinks as well. Your Boss has a laowei! Smart Cookie!!! agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 12:25:19 PM »
My sympathies for this misery you are forced to endure. agagagagag
I especially feel sorry for your liver  ahahahahah
I am still learning. Michelangelo

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 01:17:51 PM »
I hate it.

Business first, finish, then lunch. Drinking after.

I am trying to train people here in this logic. I don't drink for duty, and I don't like eating for duty.

Pleasures are for pleasing me.

I don't know if this will hurt my business, but I don't much care either. Seems to be OK. They seem to just think I am a crazy foreigner with my own idiosyncrasies, same as they did back home.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 08:19:30 PM »
I just say I don't drink. And it has never been a problem  agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
Pity LE can't use that excuse.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 12:38:01 AM »
My boss is sneaky like that.  He did score a coup - and he is using it!!   bfbfbfbfbf Another lunch today with another range of people, who have invited us to another function on Sunday to meet more people. Hotpot today - lovely in the wet cold weather we have been having and more relaxed than the council lunch yesterday.

But once one person has seen you drink, then everyone knows you do.  And my circle is pretty wide - and I invite everyone to my parties, so a lot of people know that I drink at home - so I really can't get out of drinking 'officially'. I met my boss socially with a friend and we went for a social dinner where I did have beer - so after that, when I was offered the job - I couldn't say "I don't drink".   And I'm the sort of person that if I lie it catches up with me immediately!  llllllllll llllllllll

Acjade

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 12:56:57 AM »
   And I'm the sort of person that if I lie it catches up with me immediately!  llllllllll llllllllll

You're Pinnochio?

old34

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 01:52:50 AM »
I met my boss socially with a friend and we went for a social dinner where I did have beer - so after that, when I was offered the job - I couldn't say "I don't drink". 

I remember the story. Your good friend the artist. Invited you to hot pot. Your now boss was there. Your good friend got scalded during the dinner. She went to the hospital, you stayed and got the job.

How is your friend these days?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 02:18:25 AM »
In Beijing studying art and being with a new man in her life.  Happy!! 

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 02:26:07 AM »

You're Pinnochio?
Well I am a 'da bizi'!!  ahahahahah

To be a good liar you have to remember who you told which lies to, and know all of their connections, hope none of the connections has connections to someone who heard a different lie (or the truth) etc etc.  Me - if I told a lie I was rapidly caught out - so it's way easier not to do it. 

What I do do though is what my mother called 'sins of Omission, rather than sins of Commission".  I leave things unsaid.  And people often create their own stories around the silence.  aoaoaoaoao

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 02:30:04 AM »
Yes, I always told the truth, but just the part that wouldn't get me grounded.  You can always add more info to the truth but lies just dig a deeper hole.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Acjade

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 02:49:42 AM »
Remember the great wall?

woza

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 08:40:50 PM »
Great wall is OK I found if you fill your glass with ice, it numbs your taste buds and you can drink it without gagging.
Talking about drinking one of my students arrive in class with a six pack of beer and offered me one.  I declined  but said you go ahead.  The other student arrived late with his dinner of KFC another bought his 7 year old son because his wife was away on holidays.
I really like this class so I said, your son can stay at my home while we have class and to the other we can have a drink after class and KFC man why don't you come to my house for dinner on Monday before class.  And they call this work.

belrain

• In past travelling, now becoming Shanghai resident
    • My homepage
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 03:50:03 AM »
Drinking is part of business in China. You can only either do it or not. If you once started, you can not tell them that you do not drink.
But you can drink according to your rules - you are laowei afafafafaf
So, if they want to drink with you tell them, you only do gambei with all together - not each in a row. And then, after a few beers, many will already give up because they are not used to it. And you also do not have to do gambei all the time. You can also just banbei. Or simple Yidiandian.
They will follow you, do not worry. Although they always search for a way to drink with you alone - stay hard and do not allow it. I did this already many times - never lost a battle  afafafafaf agagagagag agagagagag
And if you do not want to drink at all, you can still excuse by saying your stomach is not well today. This will be accepted. But do not drink afterwards and get seen. This will make you lose face.
cdcdcdcdcd Das Leben ist schön

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 03:58:29 AM »
You know, I don't give a sh*t if I lose face.  I guess this way, I don't lose face - you know, no fear!

PS this makes post 500 - halfway there!
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)