IELTS examining

• 76 replies

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
IELTS examining
« on: June 19, 2007, 05:24:48 AM »
I thought I should write here about becoming an IELTS examiner. This might be a useful extra income stream for many teachers. It was for me, though I no longer do it.

The IELTS test (www.ielts.org) includes two components -- writing and conversation -- that require an expert to grade them. Grading is subjective, but there's a training process and considerable monitoring to ensure it is consistent.

Pay is good. As of mid-2004, when I was last involved, interviewers were getting 88 RMB per 11-14 minute interview and you'd do 25-30 in a weekend, so 2200-2600 plus travel expenses. Bus or train within province or plane outside, nice hotel, plus 250 a day allowance for food, taxis, etc. Grading writing also paid well. There was talk of a pay increase, but I do not know if that has happened. (it hasn't, as of Oct 2007) -- 2009 update, now 102/interview

Their basic requirements are native speaker or IELTS 9 (essentially prefect) English, degree, TEFL certificate and three year's post-certification ESL experience. That gets you on their training course. The course lasts four days and costs you 750 plus your travel expenses. It is given a few times a year, I think at all of their centers in China -- Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chengdu -- but I'm not certain.

The course introduces their grading criteria. There are sheets with multiple scales, one for grammar, another for vocabulary, etc. You go through those, some lecture and discussion on how they are designed and used. Then they show video interviews or give you samples of writing. Everyone rates them, compare and discuss your ratings, then hear the word from On High (Cambridge) on how and why they should be rated.

At the end of the course, you are tested. Here are 12 taped interviews; rate them. Here are some writing samples; rate those. If you pass, you are certified as an examiner. There are separate certifications for interviewing and for marking writing. These are good anywhere in the world, though you have to re-test every two years to remain certified.

Depending where you are, there may be a lot or a little work. I was in Fuzhou, where they give one or two tests a month, using 6 to 8 examiners each time, and at the time only four examiners lived there. They used us on every test and flew in others. Sometimes they flew us elsewhere too; I went to Haikou and Nanjing.

They had a lot of examiners in Guangzhou, though, so even though they did two or three exams a month there, not everyone got work. On the other hand, all the writing for Southern China -- tests in Guangzhou, Shenzhen,  Xiamen, Fuzhou, Nanning and Haikou -- was marked in Guangzhou, so people there got that work.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 02:39:33 AM by Pashley »
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: IELTS examining
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 06:58:32 AM »
Great info here. Definitely a Library entry. Nicely done.  agagagagag
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 05:47:15 AM »
So how exactly do I go about getting in on this?
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 08:06:01 AM »
Go to British Council. Not just everyone can become an examiner and you also have to prove 3 years of teaching experience by strong AND positive references that will be checked. A friend of mine became one. She has a CELTA but yet was kinda worried she won't pass the test after the course. Money is good and she is very happy with it. To pass IELTS in Beijing costs almost 2,000RMB. So, yes, they can afford paying examiners good money for test and the rest of the benefits when traveling.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 08:59:35 PM »
Contact info for the British Council is on this page:
http://www.britishcouncil.org/china-about-us-where-we-are-in-china.htm

IELTS is actually run by 3 groups: the Council, Cambridge's testing service, and an Australian organisation whose name I do not recall. In some places, like Japan, the Council and the Aussies run separate IELTS organisations and compete for customers. In China, they have a joint venture.

In Guangzhou, the IELTS office is at the British Council. Might be different for other cities, but at least the Council will know where.

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 06:34:53 PM »
Has anyone done invigilating for the IELTS exam in China? i am an IELTS invigilator but have never been trained as an examiner. Is there a need for invigilators in China?
"All young people need somebody bad to look up to and I hope I can be that for you tonight. "

John Waters

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 11:46:57 PM »
i am an IELTS invigilator but have never been trained as an examiner. Is there a need for invigilators in China?
Not sure, but I think it is worth asking. See links in a previous post.

While I started examining, a few years back, they were using examiners to invigilate the written part of the tests. Then they switched to using Chinese staff from their office for that. I did not know there was such a thing as an IELTS invigilator. Maybe I jut missed it.

However I recently heard, third hand, that they are recruiting invigilators in Fuzhou.

Shroomy

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 02:03:47 AM »
Okay, so I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but what on earth is an invigilator?  It sounds like something an alien would do to you in the mother ship.

And I need moonlighting work.  There is a IELTS center here in Changchun, but I don't have a TEFL cert.
Back home and still confused about what the locals are saying.

AMonk

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 02:50:29 AM »
"Invigilator" is the fancy-shmancy English word for the person who sits inside the exam room and oversees the students, to make sure that there is NO CHEATING going on....and they are vigilant in their duties. ahahahahah
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 04:30:03 AM by AMonk »
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 02:59:42 AM »
In some places invigilator is known as a 'proctor'. Still sounds like something done by the same alien in the mothership though.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 03:49:43 AM »
"Invigilator" is the fancy-shmancy English word for the person who sits inside the exam rppm and oversees the students, to make sure that there is NO CHEATING going on....and they are vigilant in their duties. ahahahahah
That's practically word for word wot I was gunna say!! Demazing!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Shroomy

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 03:55:01 AM »
Yeah, totally  offtopic but when I was doing physical exams for a living I did a lot of proctoring.  I've never seen invigilating before.  In the civilised world we only have proctors.

AMonk

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 04:34:05 AM »
Also  offtopic  but is a "proctor" like a proctologist?!? aoaoaoaoao

...Just joking.  afafafafaf  I know that a proctor is a classroom monitor....

Shroomy

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 04:49:38 AM »
Yes, but that's the kind of "proctoring" I used to do before I became an English teacher.

AMonk

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 04:54:07 AM »
Yes, but that's the kind of "proctoring" I used to do before I became an English teacher.

Just so long as you don't practice on me aoaoaoaoao