Smartphones

• 495 replies

Monkey King

Re: Smartphones
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2011, 10:12:41 PM »
I'm getting a new phone. I am thinking Android and I will be using Pleco.  Apart from that I am clueless and open to suggestion.

Couple of names have been dropped by friends so far that I haven't seen mentioned here:

HTC ChaCha (horrible name) and Motorola Milestone.

Any up-to-date input from you guys?

« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2011, 11:24:10 PM »
According to here, a tech site I like the reviews on, the ChaCha is no.6 on the top ten list.  (And given the sheer number of phones out now, probably no phone on the list is any less than a good buy.)  They say the physical qwerty is well realised.  Samsung Galaxy S2 is still considered the best (and I still like the ergonomics of the Desire better) and Desire S is no.4 on the list too.  But if qwerty is what you want--.

I have Pleco on my Desire, but haven't used it much.  (Last I looked the beta didn't really have much functionality, so I kinda gave up.)  I think however the relatively smaller screen on the ChaCha would not be an issue.  Others would have to chime in to make sure of that though.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

BrandeX

« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2011, 11:49:44 PM »
I'd suggest a newer phone running Android 4 over these last gen models that have 2.3, you'll possibly get longer use/functionality out it.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus:
http://www.google.com/nexus/

« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2011, 01:08:39 AM »
I've recently bought 2 HTC's, a Desire S for the missus and the Incredible S for myself. Both are excellent phones, hard pushed to fault them really. Almost just got 2 Desires but i preferred the slightly larger screen on the Incredible. There are loads of chinese dictionaries available on the Android market, some good some not so good. Download a few and try them out to see which ones suit your needs best.
I am waiting for the full release of pleco though as i have that on my ipod touch and it's definitely one of the best apps out there.
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2011, 06:02:25 PM »
That Samsung Galaxy Nexus, has anyone tried it out yet?
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

BrandeX

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2011, 02:49:25 AM »
Wait a bit, it comes out soon.

zero

« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2012, 11:42:57 AM »
Anyone tried cheap Chinese knockoff Android phones? Like these?

http://www.chinavasion.com/index.php/cName/mobile-phones/

Would they work in the U.S.?

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
The XiaoMi Android phone is supposed to be pretty good, but it's completely sold out. I'm thinking of getting one to play with, once they're readily available.

I'd really like to get a Nokia N9, even though the MeeGo OS is now passé. If they get down to ~2,000RMB I'll buy one.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2012, 03:41:51 PM »
iPhone 4S will be available in China on January 13th

BrandeX

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2012, 07:59:06 PM »
I wonder how well those shanzhai phones sell in America. I have never seen anyone using something like that here on trains or w/e. Everyone seems to only trust intl. name brands.

zero

« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2012, 04:50:21 AM »
I don't sense that they have wide distribution. Of course, most people get a phone with their contract with a carrier. Not too many people go the "bring your own" route, because the carriers offer subsidies on the brand phones when you sign a two-year contract.

Just curious if people have experience with the fake phones? Some of them are quite cheap and I'm wondering if they work well, what the disadvantages are.

zero

« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2012, 05:55:51 PM »
Does anybody know anything about the XiaoMi? I think I want that phone. Would it work in the U.S.? Do Chinese phones come unlocked? Also, if an in-law sends it to me, will it get stopped in U.S. customs?

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2012, 07:14:48 PM »
Does anybody know anything about the XiaoMi? I think I want that phone. Would it work in the U.S.? Do Chinese phones come unlocked? Also, if an in-law sends it to me, will it get stopped in U.S. customs?

most of the Xiami reviews i encountered were less than overwhelming. there are many better android phones out there, especially htc/samsung ones.
These phones would work in the US but only with some carries like T-mobile or ATT. Sprint has a different network.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

zero

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2012, 06:45:18 AM »
I'm kind of a tech dummy, but my understanding was that the appeal of the phone wasn't that it was the best, but that its features were a good value for the price.

xwarrior

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler