Tv

• 460 replies
Re: Tv
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2011, 08:59:49 PM »
{I thought I have seen this site mentioned in the Saloon before, but it does not show up in Search}

FixPlay
 http://fixplay.ninemsn.com.au/

It:
- is Australian (if I can handle that I am sure you can!)
- comes compliments of Ninemsn.au
- was streaming a really good picture
- has 30sec advertising breaks ... but seemed a small price to pay for a programme i watched this morning

Programmmes  include:

The Middle - USA
Doctor Who - UK
Day of the Triffids - UK
The Vampire Diaries - USA
Naked Chef - UK
Nikita - USA
Spooks - UK
plus Australian programmes

Thanks. Was in the mood to watch a movie, and am giving Blood Brothers a try at the moment. Good quality, too.

And thanks from me too! They've got Coupling and I've be meaning to watch that.

I'm late with the recommendations, but I don't think I've seen Life on Mars (BBC) or Game of Thrones (HBO) mentioned. I also love The Thick of It.

old34

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2011, 11:55:24 PM »
FixPlay
 http://fixplay.ninemsn.com.au/

xw: Big ups for that link  bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

With my VPN messin' up today, I can't get a reliable connection to Hulu. I can get to Hulu no problem, but the Reverse Fire Wall ("Sorry, You must be in the U.S. to stream this content.") is blocking me.

Never been to Fixplay and it's great that they don't have geographical blocks like most of the providers in the U.S.

Looked at the lineup of shows there and immediately focused on "The Farmer Wants a WIfe" so clicked on that and away we went. I'm a sucker for some types of Reality Shows (Amazing Race, Celebrity Apprentice (just to remind myself what a d*ck Donald Trump is) and "Farmer" hit the jackpot for me. It's about the most antithetic (is that a word?) TV show vis-a-vis life in China that you could watch. Wide open spaces filled with lush vegetation, intelligent and well-spoken farmers, gorgeous and voluptuous, mostly city-women yearning to marry a farmer (in China and in math, that's called a NULL SET) and they're real.

I got some editing work to do tonight, but I called Sherpa's an hour ago, and moments ago a nice Hatsune meal of Terriyaki Chicken, Avocado Thin Rolls, Miso Sup, and Salmon Sushi arrived. No, it's not farmer food, but I'm putting the work aside, gonna eat Japanese food, and  watch Australia's The Farmer Wants a Wife for the rest of the evening. Without Firewall interference from either China or Australia. I need an un-China evening.

Thanks xw and thanks ninemsn Australia.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2011, 02:58:10 AM »
I loved Life on Mars :)
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2011, 03:10:45 AM »
I'm loving Everybody Loves Raymond, Shit My Dad Says, Game of Thrones, Stargate Universe, Dr.Who, Chicago Code, House , and others. As often as possible I use www.funshion.com which is a Chinese site and the streaming and simultaneous downloading it lightning fast. The bonus is that these come with Chinese subtitles which helps my wife when we watch together. Often they come out a day or three after they are available for download elsewhere.

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2011, 03:16:09 AM »
I loved Life on Mars :)

I loved John Simm's leather jacket.  akakakakak

Thanks for the link, psd4fan.

« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2011, 05:07:25 PM »
i can never find the tv shows on funshion - just the movies. where or how do you find them? llllllllll

Mimi

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2011, 05:58:09 PM »
I search for TV shows the same way I do for movies, but the selection is definitely more limited.

Borkya

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2011, 06:44:01 PM »
No, there is a sh*%ton of tv shows on funshion including Crown od Swords, Camelot, Big bang, Castle, house, 30 rock, the office etc etc.

On the top of the page is like a couple of grey boxes with things inside. The first Grey box is the movies (电影) and all the other words are the countries. So if you hit 美国 it will list all of the american movies.

The second grey box lists the TV shows (电视) and again, it is listed by country. So american is 美剧. Then, when you click on it, it will bring you to a page of the most popular shows. Of course Vampire Diaries is number one! ha ha!

Anyway, you can see it listed in chronological order of most recently added shows. Right above the pictures for the TV shows is 4 buttons, one is orange (and that is the most watched button. Click on the left most button, and it will show you the newest episodes.

All the names are in Chinese, and they use some pretty weird pictures for the TV show (for instance there is a picture of Justin Beiber for 'Glee') Just put your cursor over the picture and a little thing will pop up with an official cover or poster or something, which usually has the name in english. To see the list of episodes, just click on the picture and another little pop-up box will come up listing all of the episode numbers.

I think funshion has one of the biggest selections of TV shows on the internet. I mean, they have all the HBO shows, like the Tudors and stuff that Hulu doesn't have. Only problem is to search it you have to know the chinese names, so that's hard.   

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2011, 01:23:32 AM »
I've just watched the first of 4 programmes in a Discovery Channel series called 'China Rises'. It seems to be an informative and balanced portrayal and would be a good primer on the country for new arrivals, or for people like me who've been here for ages, but still don't know what the hell's going on around me.

All 4 programmes in the series are available.

Getting Rich
City of Dreams
Food is Heaven
Party Games

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2011, 02:36:41 AM »
I started using a torrent download site for my TV shows. This site has the shows from the UK, Australia, US, and Pay Channels for free. You will need a torrent download software to access these shows.

Here is the link for the TV shows: http://www.eztv.it/.

Here are a couple of sights to search for specific Torrents: http://www.bitsnoop.com/popular/rated_all.html and http://www.kat.ph/new/.

Here is where you can get the software: MAC: http://www.transmissionbt.com/download/. (I use this on my Mac and it works pretty good. Here is one for PC's: http://www.utorrent.com/.

Hope this helps. I had a service that I had used for part of the year until I came across this method. I hate those sites (like HULU that stream the shows online. The main problem with them is that if you have a slow connection, it will show part of the show and stop. Then, you have to wait. With torrents, you can download the movie or TV show and watch at your leisure. I setup my Mac to download the shows at night while I am sleeeping and have them available the next day.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2011, 07:03:58 PM »
Can't suggest sources, but a few worth looking for...

Mekong: Soul Of A River  , currently showing here on Planet Green, is excellent. The cinematography is gorgeous, and the stories told are interesting and authentic. I think it's a 4-part series, and follows the river from the South China Sea to the T'tan Plateau.

If you can get programs from the National Geographic network, try to find some episodes of Locked Up Abroad . It'll sho'nuff scare you tout suite out of any thoughts of ever being an international drug smuggler, for any amount of money. aoaoaoaoao  Really interesting true stories, well told. bfbfbfbfbf
One really harrowing story follows a Brit and his pregnant (by the Brit) Filipina girlfriend, who despite long separation was still not divorced from a local husband...and in the Philippines, the sentence for Adultery is 14 years. The ex got angry and went to the cops...and everything just went horribly wrong. The Philippines are a lovely place with mostly lovely people...but from what I've seen their legal system is disturbingly harsh. oooooooooo
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2011, 11:53:20 PM »
Hey, I was able to find full episodes of Locked Up Abroad  on the National Geographic TV site. They're under the "NatGeo TV" link, then the "Shows" link at http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/player/

This is the US site. If it doesn't work for you, try starting at http://www.natgeotv.com and select a different country's site.

Hope it works for ya!
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2011, 04:48:50 AM »
To the OP: Since you like comedies, you may want to check out Eastbound and Down. It is unsubtle humor :lickass:, but hilarious.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2011, 05:12:38 AM »
Anyone else seen "Big Train"? Just discovered it and found it suitably Pythonish for my tastes.
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2011, 02:01:54 AM »
Anyone else seen "Big Train"? Just discovered it and found it suitably Pythonish for my tastes.

I love Big Train

Do you know Brass Eye and Time Trumpet?

Same sort of surreal British humour

I've just been watching Curb Your Enthusiasm. Just can't get enough of it