How Do I Ask for "Movie Shop" in Chinese?

• 3 replies

Ivyman

How Do I Ask for "Movie Shop" in Chinese?
« on: February 23, 2017, 10:09:52 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm now head of a movie appreciation club.  I want to show some classics of the Western canon, like "Star Wars" "The Godfather" "Titanic" etc.

Back in Beijing, there are places that will sell copies of movies for about ten RMB apiece.  And, they are definitely good quality.

1.  Does anyone know of any of these places in Suzhou or Shanghai?

2.  If not, can anyone tell me how to ask for it in Chinese?  I am guessing a big city like Shanghai must have some.

old34

Re: How Do I Ask for "Movie Shop" in Chinese?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 01:31:52 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm now head of a movie appreciation club.  I want to show some classics of the Western canon, like "Star Wars" "The Godfather" "Titanic" etc.

Back in Beijing, there are places that will sell copies of movies for about ten RMB apiece.  And, they are definitely good quality.

1.  Does anyone know of any of these places in Suzhou or Shanghai?

2.  If not, can anyone tell me how to ask for it in Chinese?  I am guessing a big city like Shanghai must have some.

DVD. that's all you need to say.

In Suzhou if you go to Shiquan Jie, look for Yang Yang's Dumpling Restaurant. There's a small alley almost directly across the street and the first or second door on your left has a small DVD shop. Not much selection. If you keep walking west from Yang Yang's when you get to the next main intersection. (a) turn the corner to the right and just on the other side of the canal is Rock Station DVD shop. Best DVD selection of any DVD shop I've ever seen in China. highly recommended by Raoul himself when he was around.

Or turn left at that intersection and walk about ½ a mile until you see Tom's Bar. The guy who owned Rock Station opened another branch next door to Tom's (and may have moved the original to there) If either or both are still around, they'll certainly have all the classics. Also many films from other countries. Rock Station not only had the best selection ever, but it was also the best organized. Separate sections for genres and then all the DVDs sorted alphabetically.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Ivyman

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 05:04:16 AM »
Thanks.  There's a personal question I had about Suzhou.  If you or anyone who has lived there could private message me, I'd appreciate it.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 05:11:15 PM »
You can also ask your students and coworkers (Chinese and expat).  Someone's likely to know exactly where the door to the secret back room associated with the local video store is located.

I'm such a frequent client of my favorite video pirates that they loan me the key to the back room when there's no one available to open it.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com