Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2007, 07:10:25 AM »
Sounds like a good, eclectic mix!!  Read On!!  agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

solongtinik

• tryin to complete my life's journey
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2007, 10:49:37 PM »
to all the aussies here please 100x! if anyone has the book |"mutant message" please send me a copy..i'll be glad to pay whatever amount it will cost in sending me...thanks!
if he does not struggle against what is wrong-even if it seems beyond his strength-he will bever find the right road

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2007, 11:27:12 PM »
It's more popular in the USA where people believe the fiction depicted in the book is real. It has some terrible reviews in Oz, in fact, apparently Ozzies don't read it. I wonder what Lotus thinks of it? She used to work with aboriginals.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

belrain

• In past travelling, now becoming Shanghai resident
    • My homepage
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2007, 11:34:40 PM »
The new Terry Pratchet is coming bfbfbfbfbf
Amazon send me an E-Mail, it is on its way to my home bfbfbfbfbf
So, when I start my travel to China tomorrow, I can start reading it - that is just in time delivery  agagagagag
cdcdcdcdcd Das Leben ist schön

AMonk

« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2007, 11:57:59 PM »
I just checked out this book on Amazon.....it got nearly universally bad reviews.  One fellow even wrote to say that the Aborigines were angry and upset over the book.  It was too Americanized and there were too many flat out lies in it.  (He's white, but working with the Aborigines for over 20 years).

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2007, 12:49:42 AM »
What does 'too Americanized' mean?

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2007, 01:24:22 AM »
'Too Americanised ' usually means that language, situations and cultural values have been changed to appeal to an American market.  It ignores the reality of other places, other views.

I haven't read it, and if it is true that there are too many flat out lies in it - I'd rather not.  Australians can create enough flat out lies about Indigenous Australians without other nationalities coming in and adding their versions of new lies! ahahahahah

I remember the 1st book - and the anger and frustration it caused among my Murri friends.

AMonk

« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2007, 04:33:24 AM »
What does 'too Americanized' mean?

Using Native American customs/rites and presenting them as Aboriginal.  e.g. dreamcatchers. 

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2007, 05:18:34 AM »
Liz Byrski's "Gang of Four". Just wonderful! Australian writer - magic reading.

« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2007, 06:15:14 AM »
Just finshed "Making money" by Pratchett, have now started "Stardust" by Gaiman, it's rather good.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2007, 06:48:59 AM »
I will get to read "making money" by hook or by crook.

Reading "The Key" by James Frey (about myths and writing)
about to start levinson's Guerilla marketing. Wife starting to read the hobbit.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2007, 12:11:27 PM »
Picked up 2 Spike Milligan books out of a second hand book store. "Mussolini, his part in my downfall" and "Rommel?Gunner who?" Cant wait to get started on them, even if reading Spike makes me look like a crazy man when i start laughing out loud.
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

teleplayer

• Ni you hen duo xiao qian. Gei wo yidian(r)!
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2007, 01:33:09 PM »
Just finished Peter Hessler's "River Town: Two Years on the Yangtze." Hessler is back in China as a Beijing based free-lance journalist wriging for "The New Yorker," "National Geographic" among others. and . He was US Peace Corps ((they only take master's degrees as teachers I've learned from net) teaching English at a teacher's college in Fuling, Sichuan Province.
I think he tried to be honest to his experience and the people as best one could. His story not unlike what I hear here from those of you away from the major cities. Was struck by how an incident at his school involving PE Dept vs not a waiguoren teacher but poor folk in Fuling sounded much like THA's experience.
Want to read his "Oracle Bones" as well as some books from his reading list mentioned at end of book.

Also, I think he adequately predicted that Three Gorges Dam was going to make a bit of a mess. We now know it's having some meteorlogical effects that probably aren't so good. He basically saw it as damming up the upper Yangtze and it's tributaries with pollution. Guess time will tell.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 01:35:30 PM by teleplayer »

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2007, 01:35:24 PM »
It was a good book.  The bit that got me was where he studied Chinese for 2 hours every night! That's dedication.

teleplayer

• Ni you hen duo xiao qian. Gei wo yidian(r)!
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2007, 01:37:03 PM »
It was a good book.  The bit that got me was where he studied Chinese for 2 hours every night! That's dedication.

Really, best I do is repeat of Pimsleur on my 30 minute walk to work...funny what you hear on the second and third listen. While learnign to write all that in Pinyin and Hanzi it's time for me to move on to more stringent. I envy those of you who are emersed.