gmail troubles

• 44 replies

ting

gmail troubles
« on: August 26, 2010, 11:22:12 PM »
I opened a new gmail account, no problems. used for a month.  then i copied a doc onto the page, or something, regardless of what i did, now the google people have 'detected unusual activity' and i am locked out of this account until i contact google with my mobile phone number and then they will clear it up.  i tried, but being hooked to china mobile, nothing happened.  seems looney that only a mobile phone can help this problem.  has anyone had a similar incident and how to resolve?

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: gmail troubles
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 12:18:27 AM »
I had the same problem with a new gmail account 2 weeks ago.  They didn't seem to be able to SMS/text a phone here.  Go for a callback instead.

Can't remember if I had to put 86 in front of the number or not.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

ting

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 03:45:42 PM »
OK, ES. I took that advice and was pleasantly surprised.  I just marked 'china', gave my local phone number, and presto, within 10 seconds  got the google call with an american mechanical voice slowly speaking the code; even twice.  Fixed easily. thanks.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 07:19:39 PM »
More gmail troubles

For the last 2-3 days gmail has been slow to load and then goes offline.  Chat won't work.  Gmail keeps asking if I am connected to the internet.

Today won't load at all, Server timed out.   asasasasas asasasasas

Anyone else having gmail trouble.  llllllllll asasasasas asasasasas  Google is working fine.  Yahoo is working fine.  Saloon is working fine.   llllllllll llllllllll llllllllll

Just checked:   It opened no problem with a vpn.   llllllllll llllllllll llllllllll llllllllll

I spoke too soon.  Doesn't work with VPN either.  Google search said that gmail has troubles.  However clicking on the links to see reports I get a 404 error  llllllllll llllllllll
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 07:49:30 PM by dragonsaver »
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 07:26:58 PM »
yeah, connection in general was woeful to international sites last night... there're big events coming up in BJ at the mo, and this combined with what's going on you-know-where are probably keeping monitors on orange alert
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 08:02:58 PM »
Ok

It appears to be a gmail problem not a GFW problem.   llllllllll llllllllll

Hopefully the gmail folks will fix the problem soon   llllllllll

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
Yup. me too. I coldn't open Gmail all day yesterday, but my colleges could. It seems to be all better now.

I'm not too crazy about giving out my cell phone number. It just seems like another way to keep track of you...

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 10:28:20 PM »
I didn't give my cell number.  I didn't change any info with the request.   agagagagag

xwarrior

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 10:38:01 PM »
Maybe the problem was related to this:

Google Fixes Problem With Missing 150,000 Gmail Accounts

Charlie White – Thu Mar 3, 3:15 pm ET
The problem with those 150,000 missing Gmail accounts "should be resolved," according to Google.
Last Sunday morning, about 0.08% of all Gmail users were in for a rude awakening. Their e-mail accounts seem to have vanished overnight.
The next day, Google dutifully apologized, promising a quick fix for the problem, saying it might need to restore the missing accounts by retrieving them from off-line backup tapes. "Sorry again for the scare," said Google's Ben Traynor.
Making steady progress with the cleanup (hopefully not using any of that Gmail soap in the graphic above), four days later Google says the problem "should be resolved." The word "should" is slightly unsettling, isn't it? Here's a blockquote from the Gmail area of Google's Apps Status Dashboard:
12:51 AM [3/3/2011]: The problem with Google Mail should be resolved. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience and continued support. Please rest assured that system reliability is a top priority at Google, and we are making continuous improvements to make our systems better.
Gmail should be back to normal for the vast majority of people affected by this issue. If you are still experiencing an issue, please contact us at gmail-maintenance@google.com. Thanks again for bearing with us.
Let us know in the comments about your experience with this outage. Is everything back to normal yet? Did this incident change your thinking about cloud computing?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/mashable/20110303/tc_mashable/google_fixes_problem_with_missing_150000_gmail_accounts
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 12:37:57 AM »
I'm in Shanghai and use Gmail all the time, both from home and from work. It has been several months since I have seen any problems.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 03:53:00 AM »
I have 3 gmail accounts I use regularly. A personal one a general one and one for students. The personal one is down right now. i get message when trying to log in.

Sorry, there seems to be a problem. The service you're looking for is temporarily unavailable. We're working hard to restore your access as soon as possible. Please try again in a few hours. Thanks for your patience.

I am receiving the mail though because I have it set up to be forwarded to the general account.

xwarrior

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 11:10:48 AM »
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Borkya

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 01:23:55 PM »
I've also had a little trouble loading gmail, but i found a good trick!

Do you guys have igoogle pages? I just added the normal gmail thing to my igoogle page (not the fancy one, that didn't work.) and it loads the last 5 messages onto your igoogle page. It's like gmail 'lite' but you can read them, and reply and it has given me hardly any problems (whereas I can't get into my gmail if I try to fully load it.)

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 01:56:57 PM »
I've had loads of problems with Gmail too... It's annoying as it's been a long time since I've had problems with Google itself- mainly google images which are a Godsend for classes!

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 02:43:28 PM »
I'm in Shanghai and use Gmail all the time, both from home and from work. It has been several months since I have seen any problems.

Shortly after I wrote that, I started seeing problems. It still mostly works, but often slowly and with irritating glitches here and there.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?