• 1851 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: Introductions
« Reply #450 on: December 22, 2007, 04:41:48 AM »
But sodium pentothal creates such nice words to play with. ahahahahah

« Reply #451 on: December 22, 2007, 07:50:16 AM »
Greetings and salutations agagagagag We actually have a member who saves dragons, so you should be able to hit it off.
The best advice I can give is this: go buy Lonely Planet's China guide and study it. I would also recommend that you, unless you already speak Chinese, take a Chinese 101 course. I worked as an FT at EF in Nanchang and, based solely on that experience, I would not recommend EF as a workplace. Unless if by "glutton for punishment" you mean that you desire secretly to walk up to Evander Holyfield and call him a nancyboy, because the result of doing that would be more enjoyable than working for EF.
Aside from that, I think I will leave the good advice to the more experienced and grizzled veterans here.
Wow, Ericthered, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for! EF lobbies hard. I bought a mini-guide to China and have read it, but I scan boards for the real lowdown. Non-fiction books, like computers, tend to go obsolete the minute they hit the shelves. Culture is a moving and breathing thing.

Hey there fire dragon.  If in trouble, I am sure I could save you.

My Uni hires people with Masters, they are a business Uni so they hire people with business degrees.  Send them a resume.  Won't need a TEFL course if you work here.  You already have classroom experience.  Just learn to talk 's l o w l y' and you will be fine.

Missouri University - Dalian Branch Campus should get to them ok - Here is link.
http://chinacampus.missouristate.edu/facultystaff.htm

Thanks, Dragonsaver. Clearly, a person after my own heart! I will check out your link and send a resume. Certainly can't hurt.
Hi FD!! (yeah, we do tend to be quick to shorten names around here)  Welcome aboard!!

My buddies on other boards call me FD, and I love it! That's how I think of myself in the cyberworld.

Welcome,

Have a round on Con.  He's ignoring our scrabble game again, so I'm sure he's not paying attention to this either.  agagagagag  agagagagag

These are some of the nicest, and strangest people you'll ever hope to meet.  They've already got me typing scandalous things at 6 in the am when I can't sleep.  Wish I could figure out how the sodium pentothal gets through the keyboard . . .  mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm

Looks like Con's tab is getting out of control! Cheers!!!

Welcome Fire-Dragon.  Another Anne McCaffrey fan?  Will you be bringing your children with you? There are quite a few of us who are not too old, not too young - although you will find the definition of both states changes here quite drastically.

China is an amazing experience.

Hi, Lotus Eater. Should I run for cover? I've never read Anne McCaffrey. I just love dragons, am a fire dragon by birth, and am in search of another perfect tattoo. The boys will not be coming this time around. As to the age thing ... whether I feel old or young depends on the day. My students tell me I look like I'm 23, which is a HUGE ego boost (like I needed one).

Thanks, everyone for the wonderful welcome! I'm excited to know you all better.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #452 on: December 22, 2007, 11:21:46 AM »
Welcome aboard, FD. agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Acjade

« Reply #453 on: December 22, 2007, 12:52:10 PM »
Ditto  jjjjjjjjjj

« Reply #454 on: December 23, 2007, 08:51:16 PM »
Welcome aboard, FD. agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
Ditto  jjjjjjjjjj

Thanks!
while you were lurking, did we say anything bad?

To all the new folks to the Saloon, Merry Christmas,  agagagagag (pretend its egg nog)
I didn't see anything bad. People seem to be honest here, which is why I wanted to join the community rather than hang out on the fringe. Merry Christmas to you, Missi!

« Reply #455 on: December 30, 2007, 06:09:51 PM »
Hey and welcome FD!

Another Dragon in the ranks....Yikes! aoaoaoaoao  agagagagag
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

« Reply #456 on: December 30, 2007, 08:22:47 PM »
I think its time for me to say hello and thanks. I have only been a member a very short while, but already I've been the recipient of good advise many times over. Some I asked for. Some I appropriated, took completely out of context, and made my own. Still some (little golden nuggets of wisdom) I found buried in jokes clearly from, and intended for, veteran teachers, and I have not yet started my first teaching post - ha! For all your help (intended and otherwise)... I say cheers and thank you. agagagagag

About me: My girlfriend ("leggums the destroyer" - member as of three days ago) and I have just graduated from Syracuse Univ. with Master of Architecture degrees and are very excited to be leaving Seattle and Connecticut respectively for china in exactly 9 days. Once there, we hope to teach english, practice some architecture, and spread the word(just kidding - I have no words to spread) We made the decision to come here about a year ago one late night, and I have been listening to pimsleur mandarin tapes ever since, which really committed me in some profoundly unworthy way. Thats my story. thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 01:18:04 PM by parkerjrao »

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #457 on: December 30, 2007, 08:28:45 PM »
WElcome and best of luck PK and Leggums...safe travels and happy landings.  You might be a little disappointed with 'modern' architecture here (concrete, concrete and more concrete)...but hopefully you'll get to see some of the beautiful old buildings.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

AMonk

« Reply #458 on: December 31, 2007, 12:39:04 AM »
Greetings Parker, Leggums.  Nice to have you join us.  Order up your preferred poison, and put it on my tab.  agagagagag

Did you ever sort out that Uni job you were seeking advice on?
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #459 on: December 31, 2007, 03:23:04 AM »
Parker and Leggums... sounds like a comic strip. 

Welcome. agagagagag agagagagag  The funny thing about architecture here is that while the Chinese are terrible skinflints, they are big on ostentation.  So buildings' exteriors and lobbies tend to be spectacular.  There are a lot of sights worth seeing.

So which part of China are you pointed towards?  Have any job leads yet?
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #460 on: December 31, 2007, 07:09:45 AM »
Welcome, everyone. Hope you enjoy your time! Have a round on the bar! agagagagag

George

• My view of China
« Reply #461 on: December 31, 2007, 11:38:32 AM »
Welcome aboard, boys and girls. agagagagag agagagagag
What I call "wedding cake " architecture is very popular in China. You'll know it when you see it!!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #462 on: December 31, 2007, 03:20:40 PM »
Parker has previously intoduced me and has mentioned that we will be leaving for Shenzhen for our first teaching experience on the 7th of the new year!  I appreciate all the advice gained through reading his posts and the replies!  I am so excited about getting to china, but anxious too...often using this anxiety in rationalization of the bitchiness i have given my poor parents over these holidays (as I am visiting them for a last hurrah before taking off!)  Anyway, looking forward to getting out there!!
And Cheers!!!! jjjjjjjjjj
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 03:25:47 PM by leggums »

« Reply #463 on: December 31, 2007, 08:09:13 PM »
Parker and Leggs welcome...

all the craziness and mayhem is what makes this place fun.... I'm sure you're going to love it! 
Here's one on the house agagagagag (after that it's on Georges' tab shhhhh)  bfbfbfbfbf

Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #464 on: December 31, 2007, 10:28:04 PM »
welcome to the to of you!

Hopefully, the experience will be memorable ( and I'm not talking about China, but joining the saloon bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf )

beware that left corner over there, Stil has the bad habit of lurking there under the table butt-naked.... that's guaranteed nightmare material! over on the other left, that's George's stool... can't mistake it because it's the stiky one.  uuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuu

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com