God damned Chinese banks!

• 6 replies

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
God damned Chinese banks!
« on: January 26, 2018, 11:56:27 AM »
Frustrating three-and-a-half hours yesterday dealing with the Chinese banking system. I leave for Vietnam this coming Wednesday... and wanted to close my Chinese bank account, withdraw the maximum amount of cash legal to take out of China and make an electronic money transfer of the remainder to my Canadian bank. No problem... except I got a new passport last spring. It has a different number than the one I used to open the account six years ago. The Chinese don't understand that Canadian passport numbers change. To make a very long, complicated story short, after having my bank card 'eaten' by a machine and refused cash by a real person teller... and going to three different branches, I got my card back... but NO cash and NO electronic transfer.
 asasasasas

I'm going to try again today. Wish me luck.
 llllllllll
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

CWL

Re: God damned Chinese banks!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 02:00:56 PM »
Word of caution, do not deposit money earned in China in a bank in Vietnam.

Good luck.    China bank =  bibibibibi

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 03:05:56 PM »
Dude. Hope it works out better for you next time.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 11:12:54 PM »
Success this morning. I went alone (no FAO), closed my account and got ALL the money in cash. Now, I have to send most of it to Canada (that will require the FAO).

CWL,
Why do you say "...do not deposit money earned in China in a bank in Vietnam".

I can deposit money earned anywhere in a bank in Vietnam so long as I declare it when entering the country. What I can't do is deposit undeclared foreign currency in a Vietnamese bank.

The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

CWL

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 01:33:02 PM »
Success this morning. I went alone (no FAO), closed my account and got ALL

CWL,
Why do you say "...do not deposit money earned in China in a bank in Vietnam".

I can deposit money earned anywhere in a bank in Vietnam so long as I declare it when entering the country. What I can't do is deposit undeclared foreign currency in a Vietnamese bank.

Just a warning.  If you declare the money, you should be good.  I know people that are having problems transferring money that was legally earned in Vietnam to banks in their home country after they had changed banks in Vietnam and moved funds.  There are lots of differences in banks here in Vietnam.  One bank required that I complete U.S. tax forms before opening an account.  Another bank refused me service because I am a U.S. citizen.  Apparently, they didn't want the headache.  Good luck.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 07:44:47 PM »
That reminds me.  I need to visit my bank and acquaint them with my new passport.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 10:21:24 PM »
Yesterday, the FAO and I went to the Bank of China with a HUGE bag full of cash. We deposited it in her account then did an electronic money transfer to my Canadian bank.  My money is safely in Canada now.

I'm going to take 12,000 RMB, $2800 USD and $300 CAD in cash to Vietnam.