What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2007, 07:24:45 AM »
Hey Con--Money is one of my favorite books.

MY username is a character from his novel Yellow Dog, I like the name but overall found it almost unreadable.

« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2007, 02:27:53 PM »
I'm currently reading 'Ten Thousand Miles Without a Cloud', but Sun Shuyun. So fascinating! The author goes on the same journey as Xuanzang, the real dude Monkey King is based on. Great read, makes me want to revisit the Big Wild Goose Pagoda in Xian to take in what she saw.

Highly recommended!

Next thing will be my readings for my next MA subject uuuuuuuuuu...
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

« Reply #167 on: January 06, 2008, 06:04:41 PM »
Bill Bryson 'A Short History of Nearly Everything'

I know there are a few scientists here who would probably scoff at this book but for a slack brain like myself this is a really good read. The physics covered in the book was nothing new to me but some of the other stuff is really interesting, actually written in a way that is quite amusing and doesn't cause me to zone out the way it did at school.

Also  Dai Sijie 'Mr Muo's Travelling Couch' Very good  funny book.
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

AMonk

« Reply #168 on: January 06, 2008, 11:34:42 PM »
A little bit of the Jesse Stone novels - I also enjoyed the movies, with Tom Selleck as the lead.

Finished Making Money, a good read, but not quite up to Pratchett's usual.  Presently re-visiting M.Z. Bradley's Thendara House.....which may result in a marathon re-read of her series on Darkova....or maybe not.  Depends on my mood.
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #169 on: January 07, 2008, 11:18:59 AM »
I have started "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare". Gotta read them at some point, besides it's just what you need after Chinese and Turkish....I swear Chinese characters were invented for the sole purpose of giving me a headache and yet I constantly come back for more bibibibibi
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

AMonk

« Reply #170 on: January 08, 2008, 12:05:22 AM »
I have started "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare".

Nothing like a little light reading, is there?? ahahahahah agagagagag

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #171 on: January 08, 2008, 12:20:48 AM »
In Danish or English (or Turkish)?

AMonk

« Reply #172 on: January 08, 2008, 12:23:46 AM »
In English, of course......Willie didn't know Danish or Turkish!! ahahahahah

« Reply #173 on: January 08, 2008, 12:27:15 AM »
I'm having a hard time reading lately.  I need a book with a lot of dirty parts. afafafafaf
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #174 on: January 08, 2008, 12:30:18 AM »
I'm having a hard time reading lately.  I need a book with a lot of dirty parts. afafafafaf

Try the poems of John Wilmot or Charles Algernon Swinburne...or John Cleland's "Fanny Hill" or Defoe's "Moll Flanders"...full to the brim with lascivious naughty bits afafafafaf
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

« Reply #175 on: January 08, 2008, 12:32:26 AM »
In Danish or English (or Turkish)?

In English....reading the Bard in any other language is like going to a Chinese restaurant here after having been in China, even if the cook is amazing, it will never be quite up to snuff.

« Reply #176 on: January 08, 2008, 12:36:24 AM »
19th century smut? No thank you. avavavavav

i haven't read anything lowbrow in ages.  The writing I've been doing as taken too much out of my brain to absorb anything challenging.  "Triplets Go Shoping in Singapore" would do, so long as the type was really large.

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

AMonk

« Reply #177 on: January 08, 2008, 12:40:54 AM »
Or books by Anais Nin, or the "research" publications of Nancy Friday, or "The Story of O" or "Lady Chatterly's Lover". afafafafaf agagagagag

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #178 on: January 08, 2008, 12:44:11 AM »
Try Miller then.  But smut gets boring - you need to be able to read it TO someone and let it take you to other places. 

I'd say try a light murder instead.

« Reply #179 on: January 08, 2008, 12:45:57 AM »
Or books by Anais Nin, or the "research" publications of Nancy Friday, or "The Story of O" or "Lady Chatterly's Lover". afafafafaf agagagagag

Have never gotten my hands on "Story of O".  Who is Nancy Friday?

Screw it, I'll just read a book about war, or one of those paperbacks with the cartoon-coloured covers about someone who hates her sister but then falls in love with a carpenter and forgives the sister shortly after quitting her high-powered job.

englishmoose.com