A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)

• 545 replies

George

• My view of China
Re: A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)
« Reply #465 on: April 15, 2009, 01:11:11 AM »
 bibibibibi What's this gonna do to Schools applying for Res Visas for the next year? Re-signing contracts, etc???
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #466 on: April 15, 2009, 01:36:15 AM »
L-F is 2,800? or 3,900? they can't make up their minds. I am suspecting an advertising ploy of some kind to some extent.

Wife agrees something of this kind is happening, but says this is just for USAnians. Apparently, with the upcoming nationalistic celebration, they are trying to reduce the number of people who support non-official and undesirable viewpoints on certain geographical locations, historical viewpoints, or philosophies. Apparently nationality determines these opinions. Or rather, that's my take on what was discussed.

Those of us of other perversions such as being Australian or British, have different situations, depending. Oz has some kind of nicer situation apparently. And if your visa extends well over the period, then it will settle down.

Not comforting words, I guess, for some, but I am OK, Jack.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #467 on: April 15, 2009, 02:21:57 AM »
bibibibibi What's this gonna do to Schools applying for Res Visas for the next year? Re-signing contracts, etc???

As far as I know, this only apples for F and L visas. residence permits are not affected

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

George

• My view of China
« Reply #468 on: April 15, 2009, 02:32:15 AM »
We just got a urgent notice from PSB that all visa applied after 8:30am of tomorrow-15th of April
Well, I hope so.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

old34

« Reply #469 on: April 15, 2009, 05:55:05 AM »
Sounds like they are so happy the way it worked out for them last summer and fall (announced about the same time last year), they'll try it out again for this summer and fall's "events. Hey, maybe they'll make it an annual summer/fall event.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #470 on: April 15, 2009, 11:38:35 AM »
OK, let me get this straight. I get a letter form my Chinese employer and get a Z - visa which entitles me to get a foreign expert certificate and residence permit. After a year - then what? Do I have to pay a fee and go to Hong Kong or will they automatically renew it if I decide to stay on at the same school? What if I change jobs? Do I have to start the process all over again?

« Reply #471 on: April 15, 2009, 08:33:31 PM »
OK, let me get this straight. I get a letter form my Chinese employer and get a Z - visa which entitles me to get a foreign expert certificate and residence permit. After a year - then what? Do I have to pay a fee and go to Hong Kong or will they automatically renew it if I decide to stay on at the same school? What if I change jobs? Do I have to start the process all over again?

If you stay on at the same school they'll renew it for you, you won't have to leave the country. If you decide to switch schools then that really depends on the situation/timing of the visas, so it is hard to say at the moment. I've switched directly from one school's Z visa/residence permit to another's without leaving the country in the past (school one has to cooperate though).

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #472 on: April 16, 2009, 01:54:51 PM »
Yes...if you renew with the same school, they should handle all the Permit paperwork for you.

If you change schools after your contract, your old employer will have to write you a Release Letter. This is basically just a letter stating that you're no longer under contract with them, and bearing the official stamp of the employer. You can take this to the new employer and they can seamlessly get you a new set of Permits. The Release Letter has to be in Chinese, so it's not a bad idea to get a friend to read it over and make sure it doesn't include any little bombs for your new employer to see.

If you're negotiating early release from a contract, it's important to add a Release Letter to the terms of your separation.

In theory an employer is legally required to give you a Release Letter when you leave, but they've been known to pull some stunts here, especially if relations are bad. Stick to your guns here and make them give it to you...

If you pull a runner, you're going to be up the creek when Permit-renewal time comes around. You'll have to exit China- maybe as far as back home- and then start all over again and re-enter on new papers. An expensive hassle for most.

All this only applies to Work Permits and Residence Permits, not visas. If you're working on anything other than a Residence Permit you're already illegal anyway, so what the hell. bibibibibi
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

paddyfields

« Reply #473 on: May 08, 2009, 12:49:56 AM »
China changes visa rules for US citizens
The Associated Press
Tue, May 5, 2009 (6:33 a.m.)
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/may/05/china-changes-visa-rules-for-us-citizens/
China has changed visa rules for citizens from the United States, which has reported the second highest number of swine flu cases in the world.

A notice dated May 3 on the Web site for the Chinese Embassy and its consulates in the U.S. said that all visa applications would now require six business days to process, with express and rush services for visa applications suspended until further notice.

It is unclear exactly why the rules have been changed, but it came hot on the heels of strident measures by China to contain any possible spread of swine flu, including quarantining of some foreign nationals.

The new visa regulation, effective as of May 4, appears to apply to all Chinese visas, including tourist and business categories. Visa applicants are also required to fill out a form declaring which countries and U.S. states they had visited two weeks prior.

Previously, U.S. nationals could obtain visas in as little as one day.

More than 1,400 people globally have been infected with swine flu, with Mexico reporting the most confirmed cases with 802. The United States so far has reported 380 cases in more than 30 states.

On Tuesday, Foreign Ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu refused to address the specific visa changes for Americans, saying only that "relevant adjustment (to the visa policy) is non-discriminatory and is not targeted at any country. The adjustment of visa policy will not affect the normal entry of foreigners and exchanges of people."

The new rules do not appear to be in effect for any other country, including Spain or Canada, where swine flu has also been detected.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #474 on: May 21, 2009, 08:00:16 AM »

latest updates from Beijing:
L to F for half an year would be possible if you can provide two documents below:

1, if you work in a company, provide the copy of your company's duplicate business license with company's seal on.(only the company whose registration capital is more than 3500,000RMB can work)

2, an application report with your company's seal on( I have samples, anyone who needs the sample can contact me)

So obviously, if you are just a tourist and no any company providing you the documents above, L to F would not work for you.

Anyone who is in that situation and needs a half an year visa, feel free to contact me.

Meanwhile, till now the visa policy is updated like below:
1, All visa except for working visa are only allowed to be valid till 15th of Sept.
2, Not allowed to provide any invitation letter for Mexican.
3, Only Working visa can be beyond 15th of Sept, no restrictions on it.

Anyone who needs the service above, feel free to contact me on:
Tel: 150 010 28493
MSN/Email: jinnanwang2008@hotmail.com

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #475 on: July 03, 2009, 05:52:24 AM »
I applied for a 90 day L visa at the Chinese Consulate in Manchester (UK) today and was granted a 90 day visa. My visa is valid until October 2nd, a day after the anniversary. They didnt ask any questions.

I must have been in the consulate building for a grand total of 2 minutes. 1 minute to hand my passport over and another minute to pick it up a couple of hours later.

babala

« Reply #476 on: July 03, 2009, 07:49:19 AM »
Canada is not the same. The visa form to fill out listed either a 30 or 60 day tourist visa but I was informed that the 60 day tourist visa was not available.
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

друг всего мира

• Видна из Кремля вся советская земля
    • Russian Club Shanghai
« Reply #477 on: July 05, 2009, 03:48:09 AM »
Dear Babala,

The Chinese government, at least in my understanding from what the PSB have told me directly, and from what my FAO has also told me, is not going to be issuing 60-day visas of any kind until after the end of October, 2009, in a redux of last year's scenario.  At least this is what I am hearing.

And yet, even though everyone hears that Z visas are not being in Hong Kong anymore, strangely enough a colleague of mine went to Hong Kong this week and is the proud recipient of a new Z visa.  Mind you, the FAO, who is both diligent and thoughtful here, had Hong Kong listed as the place of delivery for the Z visa on the letter of invitation.

Sorry to read about all of these troubles.  Many of us have been caught up in them at one point or another.

the mini-Pork Dumpling
Дурака учить - что мёртвого лечить.

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
« Reply #478 on: July 05, 2009, 04:33:52 AM »
Amended, now factual.

A friend that is presently staying in my Shenzhen extra bedroom, just returned from HK yesterday.

09/07/02
Canada passport...
470 HK$
Applied & issued at the HK China Embassy.
In by 9am, pick up 9am next day.

6 month double entry L/tourist visa with 30 day max stay. = 60 day L visa.
Expires Jan. 2nd.

Passport, one photo & application form is all they required..

« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 04:53:00 PM by DaDan »
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

babala

« Reply #479 on: July 05, 2009, 09:02:36 AM »
Hey PD, that's what I thought too but James just got a 90 day tourist visa.

It's actually no big deal for me. I really just need a 30 day visa as my school is changing my visa over to a Z when I get there (no Hong Kong trip needed).
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson