A Caveat on Windows 7...

• 8 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
A Caveat on Windows 7...
« on: June 16, 2010, 08:18:56 AM »
We all know there's been a big succession of Windows versions, some decent and some disastrous...and it seems like Windows 7 is going to end up in the former category.

Found one problem, though...

Throughout most of its history, Windows has offered a reasonable band of backwards compatibility...what would work on earlier versions would also work on the current version. However, this doesn't seem to be true of 64-bit Windows 7. bibibibibi

Several programs I've used and liked for years refuse to even install themselves on my current environment, and some things I've tried to get, like some screen savers, similarly can't run on Win7. Annoying, but not a deal-killer...

The worst thing, though, is that a lot of USB devices won't work on Win7, either. My old warhorse Hitachi Travelstar USB hard drive- the one that got me through my DJ days and more, and now holds much of my music and photos and other files- is simply not recognized even though the power light comes on and I can feel the disk spinning.

In some cases deleting INFCACHE.1 and rebuilding the driver set will solve the problem...but it didn't work for my portable drive. Hitachi Tech Support is now telling me I have to have my drive mounted in a new, Win7-compatible USB enclosure. bibibibibi llllllllll

If you have a lot of older stuff you're seriously attached to, be aware that the upgrade to Windows 7 may come at a price... asasasasas
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
Re: A Caveat on Windows 7...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 04:19:55 PM »
I will not use any Windows version later than XP because, as I see it, Microsoft's "digital rights management" additions to the system are both highly undesirable from the user's point of view and ridiculously expensive.

The standard reference on this is "A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection":
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html
The author is a well-known security expert.

Historically, general-purpose operating systems have always provided discretionary access control. You get to set permissions on your files; the user controls any sharing.

People like military and intelligence organisations, though, have had mandatory access control; the system manages access. If a document is classified "secret" and "project wombat", then only people with those clearances can see it. Moreover, they can only use cleared systems and cleared software. You cannot print Wombat report version 1.0 unless the printer has clearance. You cannot load it into an email application unless that app is cleared. The cleared email app will not send it unless the recipient is cleared. Depending on the route, it may also enforce encryption approved for "secret".

Mandatory access control systems have always been very expensive. Partly this is just that anything done on a gov't contract tends to be high-priced. partly that it is a relatively small market, but also partly because it is a difficult task.

Vista introduced what amounts to mandatory access control, grafted in on top of existing Windows stuff, to protect "premium content". You cannot send high-resolution material to an uncleared display, for example; Windows will degrade the output to protect the precious content from unauthorised copying.

Screw that! My personal computer should do what I tell it to, without consulting policies built into Windows that give media companies a veto.

Apart from that, adding mandatory access control wastes large amounts of both CPU and memory.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 12:50:14 AM »
Yes...already run into that a little.
I've gotten some quick and desperate lessons in using the Administrative Mode version of the Command Prompt function. You CAN keep control in a Win7 environment, but t'ain't easy, McGee... bibibibibi

Windows 7 is OK, mostly, but I like XP better. Maybe it's just familiarity that will fade as I use 7 more.
Or maybe it's just that 7 still looks enough like Vista to make my skin crawl. aaaaaaaaaa
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 01:35:56 AM »
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 11:02:57 PM »
My computer died a couple of weeks ago.

School tech installed windows 7 ultamate, pirate version.

I hate it with a passion!

When I try to save documents, it sends it to a library.  I have to close the document and manually move the dang thing to 'my documents'.  llllllllll llllllllll Is there any way to have the dang documents save to my documents instead of the ruddy library???  asasasasas  I wouldn't care if it saved it in the library and in 'my documents' but it doesn't and doesn't give me the option either.

I sent my son an email today begging him to get me a copy of XP and Office and send to me by courier. 

I am trying to write mid-terms and this is ridiculous.  llllllllll llllllllll asasasasas
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 01:02:11 PM »
Dear DS, you should be able to save anywhere you want. Win7 will suggest a Library, but you can specify a different location if you want. Just use "Save As" instead of "Save" and it should be easy to tell the computer where you want to send the file. bjbjbjbjbj

Do give Windows 7 a chance. It does take some getting used to, but I'm actually finding that I like Win7 a lot. Navigating between different resources is MUCH faster and easier, for one thing...

I think XP is still my favorite Windows in many ways, but Win7 is pretty good.
It sure beats the bqbqbqbqbq out of Vista. bibibibibi

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 06:59:49 PM »
what RD said...
Windows 7 is almost as good of a product as Microsoft ever did. It's not perfect but it does at last allow you to choose where to save your documents. Granted, the process itself is different from XP.
you can navigate to a destination from the top address bar or the let hand sidebar to pick which folder your documents will go to. You also have the option to create a new folder anywhere you wish.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 10:12:28 PM »
It's strange, I never ran into compatibility issues with windows 7 64. I could even run Age of Empires 2 and Red Alert (although there was a small amount of patching involved with Red Alert, but the game is from like 95)

I miss it so much now that I'm stuck here with xp on a system that I'm pretty sure was made in the 17th century

Foscolo

• Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 02:19:29 PM »
I'm coming up to needing a replacement for my Windows XP laptop. I totally depend on some fairly elderly software. (All of which I paid for, of course. Nothing would induce me to use a copy of Adobe Creative Suite I bought in a market in Dalian for 10RMB.) I'll be stuffed if I can't use those on my new computer. However, computers currenly being sold through Dell's Business section offer "Windows 7 with XP Mode", which apparently is helpful in running older software. Anybody know anything about that?
Free stuff for teaching English with jokes: ESLjokes.net.