Common Diseases & Ailments

• 34 replies

AMonk

Re: Common Diseases & Ailments
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2009, 02:05:12 AM »
BAD, CHESTY COUGH/BRONCHITIS REMEDY

Take an onion.  Peel it.  Slice thinly (or chop) onto shallow plate.  Sprinkle with sugar (Demarara if you can find it).  Cover.  Let sit for 3-4 hours (overnight OK, too).  Drain off resultant liquid into re-sealable jar.  Take 1-2 spoonfuls of the onion juice every few hours.

Throw away onion......OR add vinegar to make pickle....
Moderation....in most things...

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2009, 06:15:37 AM »
This will also work with garlic, but only against that greeny yellow phlegmy stuff.

garlic and onion have a chemical that is related to the original sulpha drug (or is the original supha drug)

But it is topical, not systemic. Works on cuts, abrasions, ulcers and stuff like a charm, especially with salt in the brew.

Hurts like a bastard. But then, are we not men?

We are devo.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Schnerby

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2009, 03:28:00 AM »
Broken fingers

I guess we all know that a broken finger means a visit to the hospital, but I found that rather unhelpful when I broke a finger a couple of days ago. So, here's the process I went through.

• Firstky, genius me inserted my finger in a doorframe and closed the door.  llllllllll
  • Then I taught 4 hours of class with taped fingers. The pain got worse and that 'uh oh' moment arose. Time to go to hospital.
  • If you have a ring on this finger it would be a really good idea to remove it before any swelling prevents that. My poor ring is swollen on and I won't let them cut it (unless it gets really bad)
  • The hospital has a cute little x-ray machine that I put my hand in, rather like a nail dryer you see at a manicurist. They took some films and confirmed my hopes and dreams. "The finger is smashed and busted" - words of student translator.  ahahahahah It's broken just above the top knuckle.
  • Doctor's remedy - Chinese medicines in a bottle with that little straw. Antibiotics. (I said no to both) Strap finger to next finger with a splint. Bye!
  • Ok, I think, no problem. Home to rest. When I had a shower I put a plastic bag over my hand and taped around my wrist. Worked well. When I washed my fingers after eating I got the splint a little damp. Usually this isn't a problem, but the splint went soft. I took the gauze off to see and the splint was made of CARDBOARD  aoaoaoaoao
  • Next step: go and see neighbours. Jimmy rig a solution. I was talking with some students outside the building. I gave them some money, asked them to buy icecreams on sticks, eat the icecreams and return with the sticks. We washed the sticks, dried them and wrapped them in gauze. Instant splint  bfbfbfbfbf
  • We taped an icecream stick under the finger using surgical tape. I have tiny hands so the stick reaches right to the bottom of my palm. We then taped the stick to my palm around below my little finger and between my thumb and forefinger. Next, we taped another gauze-wrapped stick between my broken 4th finger and middle finger to keep it straight sideways. Not too tight, I want circulation!
  • Uh oh, problem. My finger is infected too! Seems I borke the skin next to my nail and somehow it is green and icky. Maybe why the doc offered me medicine (I didn't take any of it). I took my own general antibiotic and hope it clears up soon
  • Tape and gauze is easily available, but it seems splints are not - hence the icecream stick splint. So far it is working well - but i do have tiny hands. Not sure it would work as well on a man.

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2010, 11:58:30 AM »
How to Avoid Chronic Sinusitis/Rhinitis From Pollution and Allergies

I was very worried about living in Beijing because of the air pollution. I have a history of very serious sinus problems (five surgeries so far...and a sixth one in the future). However, I was able to go five months in Beijing without a single serious sinus problem thanks to nasal irrigation (warning: sorta gross picture).

Nasal irrigation is simple and can be done with stuff you have around the house. Mix kosher salt (NOT table salt...this is important) and a bit of baking soda in some lukewarm purified water, put it in a squeeze bottle (or teapot that you never use), and shoot/pour the water up your nose and through your sinuses.

The easiest way to get set up to irrigate is to but a NeilMed Sinus Rinse Kit (available through Amazon, among other online retailers). It comes with a ready-made bottle and a bunch of salt packets.

Nasal irrigation has been clinically proven to reduce incidence of sinus infection. It's good stuff, very cheap, and works! Give it a try, I swear by it.

Schnerby

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2010, 12:14:19 PM »
There is a reason netti pots keep their popularity. I also have sinus problems and it does work.  bfbfbfbfbf