This week's avatar: alternate headings

• 2187 replies

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: This week's avatar: alternate headings
« Reply #1365 on: December 06, 2011, 06:28:23 PM »
The Hot Dog Plague (aka the Wiener Death) came on the world scene in late 2016.  By 2017, it killed more people worldwide than AIDS.  As the epidemic intensified,  the Hot Dog Plague ended up killing more than 1/3 of the world population by 2025.

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Monkey King

« Reply #1366 on: December 06, 2011, 06:47:04 PM »
Yeah duonazi seems to be donuts.

The concept of a 'hot-dog donut' is not as alarming as getting a potentially fatal disease with your meal...but it's still pretty weird.

« Reply #1367 on: December 06, 2011, 09:12:37 PM »
Hahaha, trying to stifle laughs in my office...

« Reply #1368 on: December 06, 2011, 11:29:15 PM »
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Hot dogs and AIDS and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

-Joolie Andews
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Monkey King

« Reply #1369 on: December 07, 2011, 01:53:44 AM »
Ingredients at the bottom of pic - Contains flour, cream, sugar...AND AIDS!

A-Train

« Reply #1370 on: December 07, 2011, 08:31:55 AM »
Hot Dogs.  We're more than just beaks and feet!
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1371 on: December 07, 2011, 04:41:13 PM »
Our new ingredient will give you a hotdog you'll remember for the rest of your life. qqqqqqqqqq
EscapedLunatic.com

old34

« Reply #1372 on: December 08, 2011, 03:27:12 AM »
Yeah duonazi seems to be donuts.

I was able to have fun with this one in class this week. I showed them the picture (disconnected from our website). They all gasped and then laughed. Then I showed them MK's link (above) googling 多拿滋 resulting in images of donuts. The penny dropped for them - Donuts had been transliterated into DuoNaZi by the Chinese language authority. Then I showed them Google Translate of 多拿滋 which GOOGLE renders as "Take AIDS more." 
http://translate.google.com.hk/?hl=en&cp=3&gs_id=3&xhr=t&q=多拿滋&tok=TxXihQyzajz2kLxRj-97Qg&safe=off&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=605&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iT

Voila! AIDS!

We all agreed to blame both the Chinese language authority and Google.

1. The Chinese translation authority for their poor choice in transliteration characters: why not just this zi 字 rather than this zi 滋? Unless they were intentionally trying to frighten their own away from "donuts" which have become quite a popular small franchise business here in the last couple of years.

2. Google for really bad literal translation. They need to up their Translation game.

This is reminiscent of the old Jin Shan Zi Bao translation software which used to translate  干 gan (dried) as "F***" resulting in many funny translations in grocery stores of the Dried Fruits and Dried Vegetable sections.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Monkey King

« Reply #1373 on: December 08, 2011, 01:01:06 PM »
3. Chinese approach to 'Western' food generally, e.g. trying to put a hot dog in a donut....honestly it's like something Homer Simpson would dream up...

zero

« Reply #1374 on: December 08, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
The Chinese approach to Western foods is the same as for Western people. Fine to have around sometimes, but it isn't something you'd take seriously. You stick strictly to native Chinese items for your main course. Western elements, even perfectly serious ones like, say, bread, are OK for a diversion now and then. Just add plenty of sugar to cover up that nasty Western taste. Remind anyone of their workplace? Oh, putting a hot dog in a doughnut is completely ridiculous? It's OK, it's not like we defiled hongshao qiezi. That would be offensive.

old34

« Reply #1375 on: December 08, 2011, 01:34:29 PM »
3. Chinese approach to 'Western' food generally, e.g. trying to put a hot dog in a donut....honestly it's like something Homer Simpson would dream up...

I dunno, it's just another form of "pig-in-a-blanket."

cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigs_in_a_blanket
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1376 on: December 08, 2011, 04:22:13 PM »
Hot dog in a donut, pig in a blanket, or whatever else you call it, just make sure to safely wrap up that wiener before using it. afafafafaf
EscapedLunatic.com

Monkey King

« Reply #1377 on: December 09, 2011, 02:18:57 AM »
I dunno, it's just another form of "pig-in-a-blanket."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigs_in_a_blanket

In the United States, the term "pigs in a blanket" ... refers to hot dogs, Vienna sausages, or breakfast/link sausages wrapped in biscuit dough, pancake, or croissant dough, and baked.

OK, I thought the Scottish diet was unhealthy...

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:26:47 AM by MK »

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #1378 on: December 12, 2011, 05:27:15 PM »
Oh, no...

"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

George

• My view of China
« Reply #1379 on: December 12, 2011, 06:34:31 PM »
 ahahahahah ahahahahah Yer gets wot yer pays fer!!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/