The Apple Thread

• 29 replies

old34

The Apple Thread
« on: June 27, 2013, 01:47:03 AM »
The recent "New Laptop" thread inspired me to start this one up as I've stayed out of the fray.

But I thought it might be useful to start an Apple Thread.

I'll start with an anecdote that just happened moments ago....stick with me here, read it all the way thru, and then feel free to make comments on the myriad of issues ensconced.

I have two Apple accounts: one for the US iTunes Store (credit card) and one for their China iTunes Store (ICBC Debit Card). I prefer to use the China Store so they can just debit my purchases immediately. This requires "topping-up" the China account from time to time. Like now, when I wanted to renew my monthly subscription to MLB's app. I last topped up many months ago, and forgot the process, so I went into iTunes today and selected top-up amount (500 RMB) and my bank (ICBC) and iTunes immediately kicked me over to the ICBC website (on my browser-Safari)  to complete the transaction. Everything on the ICBC website came up fine except the "complete transaction on e-Card" part of the site was entirely in Chinese. 95% of ICBC's website is in English except for this part. I wasn't able to "complete" the transaction. As mentioned, I have done it a couple of times before, including right after I set up this ICBC account last year, but unfortunately I didn't take notes. I'll sort it out with the local ICBC branch with a trip there tomorrow (i.e. please help the foreigner figure out how to do this AGAIN!)

In the meantime (story-shift), I get emails from Apple-China telling me in Chinese that I have requested 2 top-ups to my China Apple account and both are pending completion with my bank (ICBC). Having failed to complete the transaction through ICBC, I decide to call Apple Help to have them cancel the "pending transactions" with my bank. Don't want to have my e-Card account at ICBC tied up by pending transactions. So I called APPLE-China's Apple Care number: 400-627-2273. Got the usual "For English press 2" voice mail and then got kicked to the English menu selection where I pressed 4 for "other".

(Story-shift) So a lad answers and asks for my "Apple Lady". "Excuse me," says I. "Your Apple Lady," says he. "My Apple LADY?" says I. "Apple I...D." he says slowly and as if I was a complete idiot, which of course I was. I give him my China Store Apple ID and he can immediately see what happened.

Long story short, (at first I was thinking I got bounced from China to an Indian call centre merely by pressing "2 for English"). As I discussed with him the issue at length, I tuned into his brogue. After solving the problem, I asked him, "Are you in Ireland?" "I am indeed," answered he.

The dude solved my problem, even though the call was incoming through Apple's China phone line. Love Apple and love their customer service anywhere in the world. And it was way cool to get customer service from their Ireland Call Centre.

Lots of issues to unpack here, but let's focus this particular thread on the goods and bads of buying/using Apple products. And praise for the Irish.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Re: The Apple Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 02:14:46 AM »
 chchchchch chchchchch chchchchch chchchchch chchchchch

Ireland: The New India!

And yes, tell me more about life in the walled garden!
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 01:47:58 AM »
my ipod has finally given up the ghost after many years of loyal service and I'm thinking about buying an iphone to replace it ...

was thinking 4s 32G - I would need that sort of memory if it was to be of use to me...

looks like that would be 4000 or so, which ain't cheap.

Anything I should be aware of buying iphone in China?

Would I be better off buying a Hong Kong iphone online(I still don't really understand why this is even an option)?
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 02:12:27 AM »
Fozz do you have reason not to buy the 5 besides price? I got an iPhone back in April and originally I had planned on getting the 4s but the price difference was actually not really that huge all things considered, and I worried about the "planned obsolescence" that Apple does. So I went with a 5 and it is really quite a sweet little phone.

I don't see any reason not to buy one in China. People buy the Hong Kong ones because they're cheaper (due to a lack of tax), I think, not because of any advantage to the actual Hong Kong phone.

Be aware that only certain carriers support the iPhone fully (Telecom and Unicom, from what I understand). You can also get a pretty good deal if you do a contract where you put a bunch of money in minutes/data on your phone and get the phone itself for a minimal price in exchange. I have something like 3000rmb stored on account, to topped up on my phone incrementally over the next 2 years.

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 11:37:05 PM »
thanks TLD - good info.

Others, please chip in if you have similar insight. I know loads of you must be using iphones so please, no advice too basic to be judged condescending.

So, TLD -

Q1 - really? No China mobile? That's interesting.

Q2 So, where do I get this deal that you talk of? In the phone company shop, or in the apple retailer?

Do you happen to have any more details? Or a link? Or even the name of the 套餐 so that I could look it up, go ask somebody about it? (my wife has gone home for the summer so its down to me to do the research, which is good in some ways as I need some little projects to keep me busy  ahahahahah)

I'm glad you posted TLD  bfbfbfbfbf I've looked at the prices for the 5 and yes, like you say, if you could get a deal then the difference would be minimal.

两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 11:52:04 PM »
I got my deal with China Telecom -- if you look here http://www.189.cn/products/080132237.html#tc

You can see all the various deals that are available, just click on the 套餐介绍. I have the 189 rmb a month one in the bottom chart that gives a lot of web surfing, but there are a lot to choose from. I got my phone in the phone company store and it was much cheaper than in the retail shop. No problems with the phone, registered my Apple ID etc. just the same as with my iPad.

Here's the same introduction for Unicom. The price you pay out is always going to be the same, the difference is in how much you have saved in 话费 on your account, the more you put in the less the phone itself costs. http://mall.10010.com/goodsdetail/111212256122.html 

This works fine for me since the contract period is two years and I don't plan on switching out this phone for at least that long. If you buy a phone you're going to have to get a plan for it anyhow.

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 05:47:31 PM »
So my friend has advised me to get an unlocked phone from Hong Kong, just as it is totally unlocked and free of Chinese 'bloatware'.

What do people think of this idea?

Do you think it is safe to do this from Taoabao? (e.g. from a seller like this guy http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=24404920129&ali_refid=a3_420961_1006:1102314808:6:%C6%BB%B9%FBiphone+5%CA%D6%BB%FA:c65f62961154b37f1ff02fdc2a13faf1&ali_trackid=1_c65f62961154b37f1ff02fdc2a13faf1&spm=1020.3.9.1.DLgHkp)

I should add that I looked into and asked around about contracts and I don't think they would be good value for money, what you end up paying per month is more than I EVER use on my pay-as-I-go.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 06:33:59 PM »
Looks like a pretty good deal!

My China bought iPhone didn't come with any extra apps, just the regular itunes etc,although both of my parents' Samsung phones definitely did have loads of extra stuff. There might be hidden stuff I can't see but I have no idea how I'd find out...

The iPhone contracts are pretty steep, only really worth it if you use a lot of data.

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
and what do people think about the reliability of buying a phone on Taobao - I mean, this JZONE has good comments, and his rating is 5-Star(diamond whatever) ...
and it has the famous line (1 fake we'll reimburse x3)

is this as good as it gets?
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
Maybe others could weigh in too, but I've not had a lot of problems with Taobao. I've bought electronics there before -- an American Kindle, a cell phone (back before smartphones, in 2008), a pro sound card for my husband, a mic for my husband, and a computer. With the sound card and the computer, we found a Taobao shop in Beijing and then arranged to actually go to his store and pick it up. Could you do the same thing in Ningbo? Lots of Taobao sellers will let you go and buy in person if you're local.

The phone and the mic I bought turned out to be  水货, which might be what your iPhone is. Do ask (although sometimes they won't admit it). The 水货 are real, but they haven't been through customs (basically smuggled through, no tax/taffif has been paid), which will usually pose a problem when it comes to the warranty. Lots of the Hong Kong stuff is 水货,and are in a kind of grey area where they're definitely not fake, but they're also not 100% legit. If possible you want to buy 行货 , not 水货, to ensure that there are no problems down the line when it comes to repairs.

That said, the phone and the mic never had issues and chances are even if you got 水货 you'd be fine, it is just riskier.

old34

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 12:53:47 AM »
I've bought some small stuff on Taobao, but I've never trusted it for bigger ticket stuff (electronics). Like LD mentioned, I'll check out Taobao, find their local shop (there's a local pulldown tab that shows cities) and then go there in person. 100% of the time when I have done this (sample size: a dozen), when I walk up, the vendor quotes me a price 100-500 more than their Taobao shop. I then walk over to their computer, pull up their Taobao shop and they say, "Oh! You know Taobao!?!?! OK, I give you Taobao price. You so clever!" I then knock it down a little more by pointing out that I actually made the effort to spend my time and money to actually come to their shop plus they save the delivery fee they'd have to pay through Taobao to get it delivered.

Bonus: you actually can get your hands on the thing to see if it's legit. Only once did I find a fake being sold by a Taobao merchant using this method. The fake wasn't the product I had gone there to purchase - that one was real - but while waiting for them to process the transaction, I was looking through other stuff they had on display and noticed they had the same phone that I had currently (a Nokia). I asked the price and they quoted me some ridiculously low price. I asked to see it and they pulled it out of the case and handed it to me. It didn't feel the same in my hand as my own, which I then pulled out of my pocket. The sales clerk kind of giggled, and said, "Yes, this one is fake. We sell both fake and real."

So, yeah, shop for prices on Taobao, but visit their B&M shop for a hands on.

On the other issue of grey/gray market stuff from Hong Kong sold here: Yes, the prices will be a bit cheaper than mainland sold stuff because, {a} they've avoided paying the import tariff, and (b) China imposes some kind of tariff on devices which use processors manufactured outside of China (which almost all devices use because Chinese manufacturers haven't been able to yet manage to replicate the necessary nano technology for manufacturing advanced chips.

As for warranty coverage on Hong Kong stuff: The item I bought from that shop I mentioned  above, was real - my first Macbook - but which had been sourced from Hong Kong and the price was cheaper. When I had a problem with it later, the official Beijing Apple Store handled it under the Apple warranty no problems. With Apple products, once you buy them and when you are setting them up (i.e. turn them on for the first time), there is a screen which will pop-up in the process where you can "register" the product assuming you are connected to the Internet. Once done, that product is registered to you on that date and warranty coverage begins, and if you ever go to an official Apple Store for service, that's basically all they ever look at.

Other devices may vary, but I've never had a problem with Apple. If the device you bought is a real Apple device (and they are VERY hard to fake), Apple will handle it worldwide.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 02:05:54 AM »
thanks for that OLD,

good advice - my wife tells the iphone 5 in the thread above is so cheap because they are locked phones from the USA ... not sure how that works exactly but anyway,

I think I'll try what you suggested and go see some local vendors ...
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 07:58:38 PM »
Am I stupid? I can't get videos onto my iPad from my computer. Of course if it was anything but Apple I could just use Windows explorer but with Apple I have to go through ITunes and it never works

Am I missing something obvious?

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 08:24:57 PM »
Apple devices I think only support mp4 and mpeg files, so if you have a bunch of .avis you'll have to convert them before they will synch to your device.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 08:27:31 PM »
they are mp4, it recognises them and they appear on iTunes but when I try to 'sync' them it always times out